Non-Square Pixels : Does it really help??

JR
Posted By
Joshua_Rutter
Apr 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was excited about this new feature, but…

Normaly, I’ve always worked in 640 X 480 and allowed our AVID or Velocity to just auto scale the images upon importing up to 720 X 486. I’ve been using my own template with title and image safe for years. Seeing it integrated was a nice touch. My recomendation maybe worked=) Anyways, you could never really work in 720 X 486 in PS, because when shown on a monitor, it would appear smooshed. Common knowledge. The thing is, working in the "new" 720 X 486 template with non-square pixels distorts & jaggies up the image in PS and frankly isn’t a good work a round to me. Why create in PS when the image isn’t perfect? It isn’t any better than just working in 640 X 480 and leting an AVID or any editing system scale it for you. To the naked eye, you can’t tell the difference at all. Upon looking at 2 test images using both techniques, they look completely identical.

To any other video pros out there. How do you work? Have you been using the same techniques? Are the new non-square pixels helpfull at all? For me, I just don’t see the point. What do you think?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

SM
Stuart_McCoy
Apr 13, 2004
Josh,

This feature was designed as a convenience thing really. It’s a good idea with no easy solution. Basically what Photoshop is doing is squashing your image in the background. If you go to the view menu there is a pixel aspect ration correction toggle option that will turn on/off non-square pixels. Your way works but the problem is really having to keep all that aspect ratio guessing in the back of your mind when you work. Both methods work and it’s really up to you whether or not you want to put up with some minor image degradation for a little more sanity.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections