GK
Posted By
Gerald Kahn
Jun 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I upgraded to PSE 3 from PSE2. I had very good results with 2. I found 3 very complicated and difficult to use. My question is: Should I upgrade to 4 or is it even more complicated than 3? I would like to hear from people who had experience with both.
TIA
Gerald

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Rina
Jun 22, 2006
I just upgraded…

"4" is very much like "3" but has a couple of neat new tools… A super easy way to straighten horizons and crop in one step. as an example.

They fixed the problem with the image jumping off the screen when cropping.

The "Browser" in the edit was eliminated, all browsing is now done through the organizer, which I never used.

I’m pleased with what I’ve seen so far.

Rina

"Gerald Kahn" wrote in message
I upgraded to PSE 3 from PSE2. I had very good results with 2. I found 3 very complicated and difficult to use. My question is: Should I upgrade to 4 or is it even more complicated than 3? I would like to hear from people who had experience with both.
TIA
Gerald
JM
Joseph Meehan
Jun 22, 2006
Gerald Kahn wrote:
TIA
Gerald

If you find version 3.0 too complex for your comfort and needs, I doubt if you will find 4.0 an improvement as it is slightly more complex that 3.0 and you likely will not need, want or will find the improvements. Not every improvement (to me) is going to be an improvement (to you).

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
O
Ofsted
Jun 22, 2006
I taught groups using PSE2 for some time and we upgraded the college PCs to XP so that we could install PSE4

In my opinion the selection tools and improved image open interface – possibly with the organiser make it an entirely worthwhile upgrade. But I accept that some of its features are a little inaccessible.

Go for it!

David

TIA
Gerald
B
Burt
Jun 23, 2006
TIA
Gerald

I did upgrade, but I was disappointed and don’t use PSE4 at all. I was hoping to avoid the scrolling problem that occurs in PSE3, but the lack of the browsing function in 4 drove me away. I organize my photos in folders for different events and name them by date (i.e. 2006_05_event name) so they are in date order. I prefer that to the organize function of PSE4 that you are forced to use in order to see the thumbnails of your files. I’d rather put up with the scrolling and have the browse function. In addition, when I was trying 4 the organizer became corrupted and the program wouldn’t function properly. Just a PITA. That said, however, I’m sure that many people love it!
O
Ofsted
Jun 23, 2006
I understand what Burt is saying.

I found the older browser a real nuisance – it would never stay in the same position in the workspace – surely if you are opening files using XP and have thumbnails in XP enabled that is better? Anyway I would still sing the praises of V4 for its selection tools alone.

What really bugs me still is the way you have to swap between Editor and Organiser for certain functions.

"Burt" wrote in message
TIA
Gerald

I did upgrade, but I was disappointed and don’t use PSE4 at all. I was hoping to avoid the scrolling problem that occurs in PSE3, but the lack of the browsing function in 4 drove me away. I organize my photos in folders for different events and name them by date (i.e. 2006_05_event name) so they are in date order. I prefer that to the organize function of PSE4 that you are forced to use in order to see the thumbnails of your files. I’d rather put up with the scrolling and have the browse function. In addition, when I was trying 4 the organizer became corrupted and the program wouldn’t function properly. Just a PITA. That said, however, I’m sure that many people love it!
PD
postman delivers
Aug 16, 2006
"Ofsted" wrote in message
I understand what Burt is saying.

I found the older browser a real nuisance – it would never stay in the same position in the workspace – surely if you are opening files using XP and have thumbnails in XP enabled that is better? Anyway I would still sing the praises of V4 for its selection tools alone.

What really bugs me still is the way you have to swap between Editor and Organiser for certain functions.

"Burt" wrote in message
TIA
Gerald

Ofsted,

Now if they would kill the organizer I would use version 4, I agree there are many tools I would enjoy using, but the organizer ruins the program in my opinion.

I have used ACDSee and compupic for photo organization, cataloging, and batch naming, batch conversions before elements was released by Adobe.

I have kept Photoshop 7.01 and use it when Photoshop Elements 2 will not do the job…
Maybe 5 will drop organizer or make it easier to use a more modern version of elements turning off organizer in the windows version …

JR the postman

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections