W
Posted By
William
Jan 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Struggling with this and have gotten close but still cant get it right. Using PE4 and have read the help file but not getting very far

I have a scanned picture of my signature and saved as JPG. The picture opens with my signature but a white background, which is expected. I need to make the background transparent and cant figure out how to do it.

What I tried so far is to open the picture and using the magic wand tool, I was able to lift the signature and use it to create a new file…so far this was looking good. In the New file I selected an image with transparent background. Pasted the copy of the signature and it all looked well. The background was blank or so I thought..it had black and white checker boxes. Now I save the image as JPG and to my surprise when I opened it again the background was still white…:-(

What am I doing wrong?

Just as an aside when I use MS excel and insert my signature, Excel has a toolbox that I can click on the signature to make it transparent and all that’s left is my actual signature so you can see through when pasted on a document. I need this effect because lots of other programs do not have that feature, most notably adobe acrobat (V5). When I paste my signature on a pdf document my signature is on a white square which blocks information.

Hope I explained it properly and not too long 🙂

Thanks
Bill

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
Charley
Jan 21, 2006
You can’t save your transparent file as a jpeg and keep the background transparent. Jpeg will make it white. Instead save it as a Bitmap or Gif file and you should be able to do what you want.

A word of caution though….don’t put this digital version of your signiture on the internet. If you do, someone could use it to forge your signiture on a document. If you want one for internet use make one with just your first name or your nickname.

Charley

"William" wrote in message
Struggling with this and have gotten close but still cant get it right. Using PE4 and have read the help file but not getting very far
I have a scanned picture of my signature and saved as JPG. The picture
opens
with my signature but a white background, which is expected. I need to
make
the background transparent and cant figure out how to do it.
What I tried so far is to open the picture and using the magic wand tool,
I
was able to lift the signature and use it to create a new file…so far
this
was looking good. In the New file I selected an image with transparent background. Pasted the copy of the signature and it all looked well. The background was blank or so I thought..it had black and white checker
boxes.
Now I save the image as JPG and to my surprise when I opened it again the background was still white…:-(

What am I doing wrong?

Just as an aside when I use MS excel and insert my signature, Excel has a toolbox that I can click on the signature to make it transparent and all that’s left is my actual signature so you can see through when pasted on a document. I need this effect because lots of other programs do not have
that
feature, most notably adobe acrobat (V5). When I paste my signature on a
pdf
document my signature is on a white square which blocks information.

Thanks
Bill

W
William
Jan 21, 2006
Charley,

I did try BMP and GIF with no luck, but will take another look at it. Do you think I should do a rescan and save as BMP/GIF? What I was doing was opening the jpeg working on it and then saving that as BMF/GIF. Maybe that wouldnt work?

I would never use it for the internet, its between myself and customers. But these days anyone can scan another persons signature and do all kinds of stuff. No telling who will do what 🙂

Thanks

Bill

"Charley" wrote in message
You can’t save your transparent file as a jpeg and keep the background transparent. Jpeg will make it white. Instead save it as a Bitmap or Gif file and you should be able to do what you want.

A word of caution though….don’t put this digital version of your signiture
on the internet. If you do, someone could use it to forge your signiture on
a document. If you want one for internet use make one with just your first name or your nickname.

Charley

I have a scanned picture of my signature and saved as JPG. The picture
opens
with my signature but a white background, which is expected. I need to
make
What I tried so far is to open the picture and using the magic wand tool,
I
was able to lift the signature and use it to create a new file…so far
this
was looking good. In the New file I selected an image with transparent background. Pasted the copy of the signature and it all looked well. The background was blank or so I thought..it had black and white checker
boxes.
Now I save the image as JPG and to my surprise when I opened it again the background was still white…:-(

What am I doing wrong?

Just as an aside when I use MS excel and insert my signature, Excel has a toolbox that I can click on the signature to make it transparent and all that’s left is my actual signature so you can see through when pasted on a
document. I need this effect because lots of other programs do not have
that
feature, most notably adobe acrobat (V5). When I paste my signature on a
pdf
document my signature is on a white square which blocks information.

Thanks
Bill

C
catfish
Jan 21, 2006
"William" wrote:
I have a scanned picture of my signature and saved as JPG. The picture opens with my signature but a white background, which is expected. I need to make the background transparent and cant figure out how to do it.

save as a gif – and select white as the transparent color

don’t bother replying to
or even
just reply to the newsgroup and i will catch it there
W
William
Jan 21, 2006
wrote in message
"William" wrote:
I have a scanned picture of my signature and saved as JPG. The picture opens
with my signature but a white background, which is expected. I need to make

don’t bother replying to
or even

I rescanned it into PE, and did as you said but there is no option to select white as a transparent color when saving the file

thanks
Bill
W
William
Jan 21, 2006
Came across this in a forum which I didn’t even know about and the solution by Jodi Frye worked perfectly

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 737

Thanks again for all the replies
Bill

wrote in message
"William" wrote:
I have a scanned picture of my signature and saved as JPG. The picture opens
with my signature but a white background, which is expected. I need to make

don’t bother replying to
or even

I rescanned it into PE, and did as you said but there is no option to select white as a transparent color when saving the file
thanks
Bill

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections