ZP
Posted By
Zane_Paxton
Oct 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a HP Z3100 DesignJet 44" photo printer. There are some significant problems with getting the ouput to match the screen version in Photoshop CS3.

I have calibrated everything over and over and over. I have checked and rechecked settings. Still no luck. I have a big and expensive pile of useless prints on the floor.

I called HP DesignJet tech support to get their take on the matter. They informed me that there is a known problem with printing to HP DesignJets from Photoshop CS3. They recommended printing from CS2 for best results. They placed the issue squarely in Adobe’s court.

[sigh…]

I then asked if HP and Adobe were talking to each other to address this and he said that he thought so, but can’t say for sure.

So, what is Adobe doing to address this apparently "known" issue that HP Tech Support Identified?

(This is crazy-making from a customer standpoint to say the least).

HP recommended that I print from CS2. I still have it and can load it back up just for printing, but that can’t be considered a permanent solution. I was able to get good results with CS2 before I upgraded to CS3 (Extended).

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JP
john_passaneau
Oct 19, 2007
wrote in
news::

I have a HP Z3100 DesignJet 44" photo printer. There are some significant problems with getting the ouput to match the screen version in Photoshop CS3.

I have calibrated everything over and over and over. I have checked and rechecked settings. Still no luck. I have a big and expensive pile of useless prints on the floor.

I called HP DesignJet tech support to get their take on the matter. They informed me that there is a known problem with printing to HP DesignJets from Photoshop CS3. They recommended printing from CS2 for best results. They placed the issue squarely in Adobe’s court.
[sigh…]

I then asked if HP and Adobe were talking to each other to address this and he said that he thought so, but can’t say for sure.
So, what is Adobe doing to address this apparently "known" issue that HP Tech Support Identified?

(This is crazy-making from a customer standpoint to say the least).
HP recommended that I print from CS2. I still have it and can load it back up just for printing, but that can’t be considered a permanent solution. I was able to get good results with CS2 before I upgraded to CS3 (Extended).

Hi
I envy your printer. I would try a trial download of Qimage. It’s printing software. I think it give superior results compared to CS3. And it solves the lack of "sticky" settings. It’s a color managed printing system and a trial will cost you nothing but your time. I do find the Qimage interface a bit un-intuitive though.

John Passaneau
T
TLL
Oct 19, 2007
Hey, like John I have printer envy too (lusting after a Z6100). Anyway using CS2 for a short time till this gets fixed is the easiest route to go IMHO. If you want, go to John Nack’s blog and scroll down to "Fixes for Photoshop printing due soon" – email him and you maybe still can get a beta patch for many of these CS3 printing issues. at least they’re working on it and so far the fixes are helping me.

Link: <http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/>

Keep us posted on your progress, I’m trying to get that Z6100 in next years budget and am interested in your experiance with this new HP series. We’re on our second 5000ps.

Good luck!
ZP
Zane_Paxton
Oct 19, 2007
I’ve dabbled with Qimage in the past and you’re right the UI sucks. It’s another step in the workflow, but is probably better than relaoding CS2.
ZP
Zane_Paxton
Oct 19, 2007
The other frustrating issue is that my main workstation is Vista x64 based and HP still has not issued the Vista drivers for the Designjet… I have Vista drivers for my ancient HP LaserJet 5100 and old HP all-in-one but not for the state-of-the art Z3100. Go figure. I may see the Vista drivers at the 1-year anniversary of Vista’s release. [rolling eyes…]

I pay for the Z3100 by plotting architectural drawings which has been a good deal. The Z3100 is a bit slow for that. I would have bought the faster Z6100 had it been available.

Thanks for the input on the CS3 printing mess. I had no ideal the magnatude of the issue. Adobe Tech support has not even responded to my incident request…. I did request some BETA code to try figuring that I’m already in purgatory, so what’s a little more aggravation that might help move things in the right direction?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections