T
Posted By
TC
Sep 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a novice using Photoshop 7, and I have a simple question about transparency — how do I control it?

I have an image which is partially transparent. It looks like every pixel has a transparency rating somewhere between 0% and 100%. However, I can’t figure out how to measure or change that transparency rating. When I use the color picker, it gives me control over the shade of each pixel, but not its transparency. I’ve looked everywhere, but I just can’t find the transparency control.

I’m sure the answer is something obvious. Can someone point it out to me?

-TC

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

A
a
Sep 19, 2007
There’s an opacity control on the layers palette.

"TC" wrote in message
I am a novice using Photoshop 7, and I have a simple question about transparency — how do I control it?

I have an image which is partially transparent. It looks like every pixel has a transparency rating somewhere between 0% and 100%. However, I can’t figure out how to measure or change that transparency rating. When I use the color picker, it gives me control over the shade of each pixel, but not its transparency. I’ve looked everywhere, but I just can’t find the transparency control.

I’m sure the answer is something obvious. Can someone point it out to me?

-TC
T
TC
Sep 19, 2007
Craig,

Thank you. I see the layer opacity control, but it is clearly not functional here — it is set to 100% opacity, but my image is partially transparent anyway. Besides, that opacity control seems to affect the entire layer. How do I control the transparency of individual pixels?

-TC
A
a
Sep 20, 2007
You can change the opacity of certain areas of an image by applying a layer mask (don’t recall if they were in PS7) or by using the eraser or a brush and varying its opacity. If it’s a flattened image and there’s no mask then there would be no way to bring the pixels back to 100%. Could you post a small sample here so we can have a look at it?

"TC" wrote in message
Craig,

Thank you. I see the layer opacity control, but it is clearly not functional here — it is set to 100% opacity, but my image is partially transparent anyway. Besides, that opacity control seems to affect the entire layer. How do I control the transparency of individual pixels?

-TC
T
TC
Sep 26, 2007
Craig,

Thanks again. I posted a simple example at <ftp://
general:/RedFade.psd>.

However, I think my question is really much, much simpler than you think. Basically, every pixel on every level can be described as a color and a transparency. It is easy to find the color. How do I find the transparency?

In my sample, every pixel is the same color red, but some are pixels are more opaque than others. I can look up the exact RGB (or HSB, CMYK) values for every pixel in the color picker or the info window, but how can I look up the opacity value? How can I know, for instance, that pixel (0,10) is 56% opaque?

-TC

On Sep 20, 5:04 am, "CraigM" wrote:
You can change the opacity of certain areas of an image by applying a layer mask (don’t recall if they were in PS7) or by using the eraser or a brush and varying its opacity. If it’s a flattened image and there’s no mask then there would be no way to bring the pixels back to 100%. Could you post a small sample here so we can have a look at it?

"TC" wrote in message

Craig,

-TC- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –
T
TC
Sep 26, 2007
Google Groups butchered the URL in my last post. Here is the correct URL — just remove the spaces surrounding the @.

ftp://general:plexiglass @ MatsonConsulting.com/RedFade.psd

-TC

On Sep 26, 9:48 am, TC wrote:
Craig,

Thanks again. I posted a simple example at <ftp://
general:/RedFade.psd>.

However, I think my question is really much, much simpler than you think. Basically, every pixel on every level can be described as a color and a transparency. It is easy to find the color. How do I find the transparency?

In my sample, every pixel is the same color red, but some are pixels are more opaque than others. I can look up the exact RGB (or HSB, CMYK) values for every pixel in the color picker or the info window, but how can I look up the opacity value? How can I know, for instance, that pixel (0,10) is 56% opaque?

-TC

On Sep 20, 5:04 am, "CraigM" wrote:

"TC" wrote in message

Craig,

-TC- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text — Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections