JT
Posted By
John_Teather
Sep 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
CS3 Extended V10 Photoshop, plenty of RAM. Problem when feathering a selection. If I select the whole sky roughly, in a photograph, with a marquee rectangle which includes the top corners of the frame, then use menu "select","modify","feather", feather radius say 200! the marching ants selection used to include the corners and sides and only be feathered on the lower edge. Now after I have used the "magic wand/magnetic lasso" tool! the selection even with simple "Marquee or lasso tools" ends up a oval shape missing out contact with the top 2 sides and corners. How can I get back to a rectangular result?

Cheers All from Newby John T

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SP
Sid_Phillips
Sep 4, 2007
Change the Feather Radius to 0.
JT
John_Teather
Sep 4, 2007
Thanks for replying Sid

I tried putting feather and feather radius to 0 everywhere it can be selected. Yet when I go back to "select","modify","feather", feather radius say 200! it jumps back to a sausage!

Any other ideas?

John T
SP
Sid_Phillips
Sep 4, 2007
When you do a selection, you should see a Feather: item in the top ribbon. On mine this is always zero. When you make a selection (and before doing the Select-Modify-Feather, what does your Feather: value read?
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 4, 2007
This behaviour has changed in CS3.

Two ways to work around it,

Select your sky, invert the selection, feather, then invert back again. Your sky will now be feathered only at the horizon and not the top and sides of the frame.

Another way is to use Adjustment Layers. I’m assuming here you want to modify the sky with (say) a Hue/Satuation adjustment. After making and feathering your selection, create your Adjustment Layer. Its layer mask will be automatically based upon the feathered selection. After making the adjustment, take a soft-edged brush to the mask and "paint out" the "sausaged" corners.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections