WD
Posted By
walt_durling
Jun 5, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi: I’m new to this forum, as well as using PS Elements. I have attempted to use the Clone Stamp function to remove an object from the background of my photo. I purchased the book "PS Elements Top 100 Tips and Tricks" and have followed it’s insructions for using this tool. I have a new iMac G5. Here’s what’s I’ve done:

I first used a tool to draw a border around the object I want to cover over. I then click on the clone stamp, press ALT ("Option" on macs) and click the background that I want to copy over the unwanted object. It then instructs me to click and drag that selection over the unwanted object inside the border. But when I do nothing happens. Am I missing a step or something? Any help would be most appreciated. walt

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin Walls
Jun 5, 2005
It sounds like you’re doing the right things, but let’s check …

I first used a tool to draw a border around the object I want to cover over

Which tool did you use?

Do you have a single layer in your image or have you added more? When you first start out, it is probably best to just keep the one layer. Later you will learn that cloning onto a new layer is much, much better.

I trust that you are working on a copy of your image.
MS
Mark_Sand
Jun 5, 2005
Walt,
After you ALT-click the area you want to clone from, dragging the selection to the destination area will not have any effect. Instead, simply click the destination and the clone will be "pasted" there.
This is the case for PC Windows, I assume it’s the same for iMac.

Also, normally what you are cloning is just a small area so it’s not necessary to first draw the border around the destination.

Mark
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 5, 2005
If you’re cloning to a new layer, you need to have the "Use All Layers" box checked in the Options bar.

It could also be that you need to invert your selection. Select<Inverse.

Terri
HE
Herbert_Ellison
Jun 7, 2005
When I use Clone tool, it do not get
a brush. I only get the icon and am
unable to adjust brush size.

How do I correct this?
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 7, 2005
Herbert

Look at Prefs – you can set the appearance of brushes there.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 7, 2005
Herbert,

You haven’t got the Caps Lock on have you ?

Wendy
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 7, 2005
You haven’t got the Caps Lock on have you ?

That would result in the cross-hairs. If it is really an icon, then Prefs is where to look.
G
GrampaHugs
Jun 7, 2005
Hi Herbert,

Click on the word "Window" at the top of PSE & see if it says "Show Options".

If it does clicking "Show Options" should show a tool bar with the options to set the Brush size, Mode, Opacity, Aligned, Use All Layers & a Brush Icon that is used to set Brush Dynamics.

Unlike other paint programs that show the cloned area as a brush, PSE only shows a stamp icon or a cross.

HTH,
Alex,
WD
walt_durling
Jun 7, 2005
To All: I’m still unable to get any action out of my Clone Stamp, at least not the way I understand the tool to work. To answer a couple of questions posed, No I’m not working in layers, and I was using the tool selection brush to draw a containment line around the object I wanted to remove from the background. Neither dragging nor clicking on the area I wanted removed resulted in anything. After I engaged the inverse as advised, I was able to use the brush to scrub away the object, though. But I understand this is not the way this particular tool is supposed to work. Hmmmm.

Think I’ll start playing with layers. By the way, how can I make a copy of the photo I want to edit? Since I can reverse any changes I make before saving the photo, is making a copy important nontheless? walt
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 8, 2005
Yes, Walt, we always recommend working on a copy. As you become more experienced with the software, you might find you want to go back and rework some of your earlier "masterpieces." And, if you accidentally commit something when you didn’t mean to, it’s always nice to have another fresh copy. Most of us actually archive all of our originals, just the way they came off the camera.

Second, I’ve been kind of watching this thread, and I’m not sure you have the right expectation of the Clone Stamp. I’ve never read the book you’re using, so it’s impossible for me to gauge how it’s worded. However, the Clone Stamp is kind of just that – a stamp. I use it to, as you say, scrub away things I don’t want. When I make a selection, I’m usually either getting ready to totally eliminate a portion of a picture or apply an adjustment to just the selected area. When I use the Clone Stamp, I’m using it to remove something I don’t want, like power lines, weeds in my lawn (!), or something about the background that’s distracting. It is an awkward tool to use for making major changes, like completely eliminating a person, for example.

As to Layers. I strongly recommend you get used to using them, because that’s another source of salvation if you "create" something you don’t like.

Be a little more specific in describing what you’re trying to do. I’m not saying the book is steering you wrong, but we might be able to come up with an easier solution to your editing challenge.
MS
Mark_Sand
Jun 8, 2005
Walt,
To make a copy within PSE, open the picture then do Image->Duplicate Image (this is in PSE2, I assume it’s the same in PSE3). I am not familiar with the iMac but you should also be able to make a copy via the iMac operating system.

Before making any changes I normally first duplicate the Background layer and start my changes from this layer. This way you can always revert to the original by deleting all layers above the Background. Also, as you are making changes you can turn off the visibility of all but the Background layer to compare your changes to the original.

Mark
WD
walt_durling
Jun 10, 2005
Many thanks. I suspect it’s my igorance of the proper technique of using the clone stamp rather than it’s inoperability. I was atteempting to remove a person in the background. I’ve decided to apply the watercolor technique to this particular photo which makes it rather pleasing and nicely hides my sins. walt

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections