D
Posted By
daugaardj
May 19, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM, BUT JUDGING FROM THE AMOUNT OF QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS I HAVE GONE THROUGH I AM SURE SOMEONE OUT THERE CAN HELP ME. I THINK I SHOULD START BY USING THE MAGIC WAND TOOL TO MARK OFF THE SKY LINE, BUT AFTER THAT I CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO ACCESS THE BLUE COLOR I NEED FOR THE AREA I NEED TO CHANGE. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME: thanks in advance, john

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
RSD99
May 19, 2005
Your ‘Caps Lock’ key is stuck.

fix it, and post back to the forum.

wrote in message
I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM, …
AT
Anne_Twitchell
May 19, 2005
Yes, select the sky with the Magic Wand tool. Put the sky on its own layer (Layer>New>Layer via Copy. Be sure that the foreground color is the blue that you want and use the paint bucket to fill the sky with your blue color. However, to get a more realistic looking sky set the foreground to blue and the background to white and use the gradient tool. After choosing the gradient tool click the arrow beside the tool in the options bar to bring up the gradient palette. Click on the blue to white or blue to transparent gradient. Choose linear in the options bar and drag the gradient tool from top to bottom of your sky. This will give you a nice graduated effect. If it comes out so that the blue is on the bottom rather than the top, Undo and click on reverse in the options bar and drag the gradient again. If you have put the sky own its own layer, you can reduce the opacity of the layer for a more subtle effect.

Anne
BW
Billy_Williamson
May 19, 2005
Hello John,

Very nice to see you here and I hope you receive as much valuable help as I have over the past few months.

I hope you won’t mind my mentioning though that writing in all capitals is regarded as shouting on forums and some might consider you’re being overbearing and rude when you’re not. Also, it’s more difficult to read caps than lower case.

Regards, Billy
CF
Callum_Ferguson
May 20, 2005
John.
You will get better results if you replace the selected sky by pasting INTO from a selection and copy in another pic, you should build up a stock of pictures that you can use or use bits off, next time you see a specticular sky, snap it.
Regards
Malcolm
D
daugaardj
May 20, 2005
Hello Callum:
Glad you took the time to write me about my Blue Sky inquiry. Your idea sounds just great. I think i’ll start doing that, even though i am not really an expert on restoration and enhancement. now i guess i’ll have to do some reading on how i can transfer sky color from one picture to another. I have an big project ahead of me, and can use all the help i can get. I have been scanning film slides dating back to 1963, hoping to gather them into various slide presentations, at various stages of me and my families life. I have approximately 200 started, and about 2,700 more to go. Fortunately the scanner i am using has digital ice components and helps me to get a decent reproduction from these old slides. And with helpful ideas i can get from people like you i might be able to finish this project within a reasonable length of time. Too bad digital cameras came around so late in life for me. Thanks Callum for the help. Think i will start looking around for stock pictures as you suggested.
Regards, John D
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 20, 2005
John,

What you want to do is not just transfer the sky color but the whole sky from one picture to another.

Very briefly:

In the picture that needs a better sky right click the background layer and create a duplicate layer. Click the eye of the background layer to turn off it’s visibility. Select the duplicate layer by clicking it. Use the method described above to select the sky and then delete it. You should see the checkerboard of transparency where the sky was. In the picture with the good sky select a sky area large enough to cover the transparent area. Copy the selected sky. Go back to the original, click the background layer and paste the new sky. This will put it behind the layer with no sky and show through the transparent area. Go to Layer, Flatten and you have a new sky.

If you have any problems come back. It takes a little practice.

Bob
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
May 20, 2005
John,

Here is a link for some excellent cloud brushes (Krueger) which you may elect to download and install. Sometimes I add them to a sky for added effect. You access them from the brush library; set foreground color to white.

< http://share.studio.adobe.com/axQuickSearchSubmit.asp?r=0&am p;pgsel1=2>

Ken
D
daugaardj
May 21, 2005
Hi Callum:
I hope that is the right name since you started your reply to my question about gray skies with the name Callum Ferguson, but you signed off as Malcom. Either way I was glad to get your suggestion about stock photos for using the sections like Sky, Green Grass, Snow etc. I don’t expect you to spend a lot of time teaching me these things, but how can I take color from one photograph and paste it onto another. If you could point me in the right direction, hopefully I will be able to learn this for myself. Would you do this? I would surely appreciate it.
Regards John:
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 21, 2005
John,

Not quite sure what you mean about taking "Colour" from one image and pasting it into another?

You can use the colour picker to sample one image and then use one of the brushes to paint it into another .. hope that helps 🙂

Wendy
CF
Callum_Ferguson
May 21, 2005
John.
More in the vein of changing skies? yes?
The Nr of pixels in the 2 pics should be about the same. Well, have the two pics showing in elements, make a selection in the master, move to the other, make another selection and copy that, move back and use the "paste into" option, with the "move" tool you can pull things about to suit.
For the skies bit, use the magic wand and select the sky, if you miss bits hold down the shift key and click on the bits missed, then invert the selection, copy, and paste (not! paste into) to the pic that has the replacement sky, again the move tool will allow you to drag the pasted bit around.
There are many ways to do this sort of thing, I like to use the KISS idea. Doing this sort of thing creates layers, to print , flaten the layers, to keep them save as tiff or psd , note that repeated savings of a jpg WILL damage the pic – a lot, if many changes are needed, use tiff of psd format, one or two savings in jpg will not be noticed, usually the run of the mill pic can be improved to ones satisfaction in one change, so jpg is quite satisfactory in these cases.
Copying and pasting colour only, will hide the detail underneath, cloning is a better option – you can clone from one pic to another ok.
Enough to be going on with.
Regards
Malcolm

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections