B
Posted By
BradB
May 19, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There is a .psd I am unable to open. Every time I try to open it, this is the error I get: Could not open [file] because there is not enough memory (RAM). I am running sufficient memory and am puzzled. Help is appreciated.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BG
Byron Gale
May 19, 2005
Brad,

I suggest you try the generic fix of re-generating the PSE preferences.

IMMEDIATELY after clicking the icon to start PSE, press and hold CTRL-SHIFT-ALT. You will receive a confirmation dialog about deleting the preferences. If you don’t get the dialog, you weren’t quite fast enough pressing the keys — try again.

Let us know if that helps.

Byron
B
BradB
May 19, 2005
Byron,

Thank you for your quick response; unfortunately, that did not help. Any other ideas?
CW
Colin Walls
May 19, 2005
I am running sufficient memory

How much memory?
How much free disk space?
Defragged lately?
What’s your Memory Usage setting in PSE prefs?
B
BradB
May 20, 2005
Memory: 1GB
Free Disk Space: 89.5GB
Defrag: Yes
Memory Usage setting: 50%
CW
Colin Walls
May 20, 2005
Which version of PSE?
B
BradB
May 20, 2005

B
BradB
May 22, 2005
* bump*
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 22, 2005
Brad,

Could you give us a little more detail about your system:

Which platform you are using Windows/Mac, which Operating system etc etc ….

and does this just happen with the one image or is it any image of that size?

If it is just the one image try opening it with something else then resaving it. If you are using windows then Irfanview is probably your best bet:

<http://www.irfanview.com/>

If Mac then try Graphic converter:

<http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/index.htm>

Wendy
B
BradB
May 22, 2005
I’m running Windows XP SP2. This problem has occurred only with this particular file. Unfortunately, I can’t save this as another file type (Irfanview did work btw, thanks). I have to be able to work with the different layers.
CW
Colin Walls
May 22, 2005
I can’t save this as another file type (Irfanview did work btw, thanks). I have to be able to work with the different layers.

Why not try TIFF?
B
BradB
May 22, 2005
I don’t believe the TIFF format saves each individual layer, as to be able to manipulate each one again when opened in PSE. With the .psd that’s giving me trouble, there is a line of text which I need to change. I need to leave the background intact. I cannot manipulate the text, without ruining the background, if the .psd is saved in a format like .bsp, .jpg, .gif, whatever.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 22, 2005
Brad,

Tiff will save your individual layers … so there shouldn’t be any problem with it. What I was trying to get you to do was open it in Irfanview then save it (again as a psd) … just in case it was some sort of corruption that is causing the problem. Usually Irfanview will open corrupt files that other programs have problems with.

Give it a try and just see if it works … but save with another name just in case 🙂

Wendy
B
BradB
May 22, 2005
Ok, the TIFF didn’t save any individual layers. So, I’ve contacted the image’s maker to ask how many layers there are. I don’t have an option to save as .psd in Irfanview, am I missing something?
CW
Colin Walls
May 22, 2005
I am wondering if the PSD was made by a modern version of PS or PSE and somehow the latest versions put something in which upsets very old version. Adobe are generally good at backwards compatibility. Do you have someone to hand that has PSE 3 or PC CS or CS2 [or even 7]? I could look at it for you …
B
BradB
May 23, 2005
Ok, I’ve got it. Went ahead and downloaded CS2 to test it out and it worked. So, your theory is probably right Colin. I’d just like to thank everybody who helped out and took the time to throw in their two cents. Thanks.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 23, 2005
Brad …

Glad you have managed to open it … It sounds like it has sets in it 🙂

Wendy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections