M
Posted By
mgstolk
Dec 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Currently running Dual 2.0 G5, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL (Upgraded from OEM), Running TIger

I also run a widget called Free RAM. It is an application that calculates what amount of RAM you have available.

Since using PS-CS4 if I open multiple files and watch my Memory counter the RAM will deplete (obviously). However, when closing the files the RAM remains in occupied. Furthermore, after opening and closing 10 or so files there is no more RAM left of the 8 GB in which I have to restart.

I have actually reverted to my CS3 version so that I can work. PS-CS4 currently is a hindrance.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 5, 2008
mgstolk,

there is no more RAM left of the 8 GB in which I have to restar

Are you just watching the "memory counter", or does the application actually stop working? Which version of Tiger are you using?

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Dec 5, 2008
If PS is not shutting down my guess is that the memory-usage-observation process may be what is flawed. Do make sure that you are upgraded to 10.4.11 however.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 5, 2008
mgstolk – your free ram utility is really useless, it fails to take into account virtual memory and in-application memory management.

If the system is short on ram, Photoshop will return RAM to the OS. Photoshop reuses the memory it allocates, and just closing a document will not free up memory VISIBLE TO THE OUTSIDE. That memory is still allocated and free for Photoshop to reuse. Photoshop won’t run out of RAM, because it is reusing the memory it has already allocated.

All previous versions of Photoshop worked the same way.

So you’re just using a flawed tool and jumping to bad conclusions.
M
mgstolk
Dec 11, 2008
Chris Cox… interesting thought however the Widget has worked perfectly (for the most part) until my recent upgrade to CS4. If given enough files open and closed my computer will completely freeze.

I wrote "for the most part" above because I did encounter this type of issue before just after my CS3 upgrade. Unfortunately I can’t remember what I did to remedy it. I was hoping that someone else has encountered the same issue and would have a fix. I don’t really have time for a trial and error solution. Too busy working slow and restarting due to the issue.
R
Ram
Dec 11, 2008
… my computer will completely freeze.

Hardware issue or massive OS corruption.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 11, 2008
Try cutting back the percentage of RAM which you are reserving for Photoshop to about 90%.

And run DiskWarrior and Cocktail (or equivalent) without further delay.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections