Posted By
Jim_J
May 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All,

As you know, I created an FAQ for the trial version of PSE that makes reference to PKZip. I don’t use this product and so I can’t comment on where the Expand button is during the process.

Can anyone what me through this step by step as to what the end-user will see? There has been a question on it. Winzip… is a snap for me… PKZip? Well… let’s just say I’m not about to pay 40 bucks to find out.

Cheers

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin Walls
May 12, 2005
PKZip is just the DOS command line version of WinZip. Surely eveyone uses WinZip nowadays? Although, with WinXP, the OS can handle ZIP files just fine.
JJ
Jim_J
May 12, 2005
Well… the websites sure indicate different companies…

In any case, I think I figured out the problem. I’ve inserted right-click on the file… hopefully that will be more helpful. And yes.. I would have thought that Winzip was pretty standard… but who knows.

Cheers
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 12, 2005
with WinXP, the OS can handle ZIP files just fine

Absolutely. I never even got around to installing winzip on my XP machine and have not needed it for 2 years.

Bob
LM
Lou_M
May 12, 2005
Trivia: PKZip is the inventor of the zip format. The owner made it an open standard because his earlier product uncompressed ARC (I think it was ARC) format files and the owner of that format balked. PKZip ruled in the bad old days of DOS.

Ever since Windows came around, WinZip has been king of the hill.

Ever since OS X 10.3, the Mac has been unable to zip and unzip files. It’s moving away from the proprietary StuffIt format.
R
RobertHJones
May 12, 2005
Just a bit more trivia.

The PK in PKZip is Phil Katz. Phil died in 2000 at the age of 37.

Phil did make the zip file format an open one and encouraged competitors to adopt it. While PKZip was "king of the hill" in the DOS world. Phil thought Windows was a passing fad and refused to release a GUI version until 1996, several years after Winzip. By then, it was too late. It couldn’t regain the market share it lost on the PC platform.

Phil’s company, PKWare, still exists — it was purchased in 2001 and now has a corporate focus specializing in multiplatform encryption and compression where it’s doing quite well.

Interestingly enough, you can still buy the DOS command line version and there is a free command line interface for the Windows GUI version. I guess Phil’s spirit lives on.

Bob
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 13, 2005
Ever since OS X 10.3, the Mac has been unable to zip and unzip files. It’s moving away from the proprietary StuffIt format.

Unless I’m not fully awaken, I’m sure you meant that since 10.3, Mac has been able to zip an unzip files.

🙂

Ray
LM
Lou_M
May 13, 2005
LOL! What a typo!

Yes, it is *able* to. Ha ha! Thanks, Ray.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections