BL
Posted By
Bob Levine
Jul 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Depends on what you want to do with the files.

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
jaynab
Jul 18, 2007
Are there any advantage or disadvantage to saving files as PDF format vs. PSD format?
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 19, 2007
Yes. PDF can be read by anyone with the free Adobe Reader software. PSD files can only be read by Photoshop.

But you don’t want to save in PDF only. It does not allow extensive editing. Save internally in PSD, and share in PDF.
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 19, 2007
It does not allow extensive editing.

Not totally true. If you save with Photoshop editing capabilities or Layers intact (depending upon Photoshop version) you’ll still be able to edit the file in Photoshop.

Bob
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 20, 2007
Ah. I did not know that Bob. I only create my PDFs in Acrobat, where this feature does not exist (I think). PS must save additional information in the PDF to allow re-editing.

Does the re-editable PDF work well for pre-press work, or does the extra material cause problems?
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 20, 2007
I’ve never sent them directly to press but I use them InDesign files with no ill effects.

Bob
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jul 21, 2007
It’s a Photoshop PDF, rather than just a PDF. The proper extension for a Photoshop PDF is, I believe, PDP.
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 21, 2007
The only thing the extension does is tell the operating system what application to open it in.

Good to use if you’re placing the files in InDesign and you want to use the edit original command.

Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections