P
Posted By
Phosphor
Aug 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Kirk, using Layers does seem complicated at first, but if you spend some time learning and playing, you’ll find they’re invaluable.

In answer to your specific question about the advantage of layers over saves: Every time you save an edited version of an image, you lose the ability to go back and change and/or eliminate a specific editing task. If you use layers, you can always go back and select the one change you want to redo or get rid of without effecting any other changes you might have made.

Jay Arraich does a nice discussion of layers, both why you should use them and how to do it. You’ll get a much better answer about their value from him than from me. He has lots of other good stuff on his site, too.

<http://www.arraich.com/elements/pse_wwhy1.htm>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PD
Pete D
Aug 28, 2003
Kirk Honey,

There are too many advantages to using layers to list. Additionally there are adjustment layers, fill layers and text layers that you just don’t have on the original……. without adding a layer!

It really is to your advantage to learn and use layers and believe me it was not all that long ago that I and many others here had the same feelings as you about layers. Photo Deluxe 1.0 (& other similar photo programs) seemed like it would do everything in one layer.

But now I can see that it was like saying I can take a Polaroid, what do I need a better camera for? The fact is that if it satisfies your needs that is fine. But if you want to open up a whole new world of photos and photo editing……. learn about and use layers 🙂 …. And you will amaze yourself!

Pete
P
Phosphor
Aug 28, 2003
I looked through the tutorial and discovered that the problem could be that my pictures are not color photos. When I click the "layers" function in the Windows drop down menu, it only shows one layer for a black and white image.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections