S
Posted By
Sparkss
Aug 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
if i create like a sig or something and then i want just a basic boder around it do i have to use the lline or the recentangle tool?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 24, 2004
There are several ways to do it. The simplest is to select your sign, create a new blank layer with selection active, Edit<Stroke. Putting the stoke on a separate layer, allows you to easily adjust or remove the stroked outline if you change your mind.

Terri
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 24, 2004
To add to Terri’s post…

When you click on Stroke, there will be three options; centered, outside or inside (meaning in relation to the marching ants selection box). A selection must be in effect before using the Stroke command. You would need to choose Inside if you want all of the border to show. Enlarging your canvas would allow you to use Centered or Outside. The width of the border is determined by the value for pixels you choose, the color will be whichever color is showing as the foreground in the two swatch color boxes at the bottom of the Tool Box.
S
Sparkss
Aug 25, 2004
knew there would be would way, thank god. that is a lot faster then making those recantgular box. for ever edge. also is there a way to make the border have rounded edges?
S
Sparkss
Aug 26, 2004
help
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 26, 2004
Sparkss,

Choose the rounded rectangular tool, third tool down on the left column. If it is not showing, click the tiny arrow on the Custom Shape Tool and choose rounded rectangle. At the top, adjust the radius to desired rounding of rectangle. Just drag out the desired size or set an exact size. Put this on a new blank layer. You really only want the outline, so control/click that layer in Palette to get the selection line around the edge. Create another blank layer and do the Stroke thing.

edit—

sorry, forth tool in the column
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 26, 2004
Sparkss,

If you are going to paste this somewhere you might want to make sure the little bits in the corners are transparent so the image doesn’t appear to be a rectangle, which it is. All images are rectangles, can’t get away from it, but you can make portions transparent and then save in a format which respects transparency, like .psd or .gif (jpg does not). Or you can make the bits in the corners the same color as the page you are going to paste it on so they won’t show.
S
Sparkss
Aug 26, 2004
So , how wo uld i do it with out making the cornes the same color as the page that im giong to show
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 27, 2004
Create a selection, the marching ants, which includes the border and everything inside, then Invert the selection and press the Delete key on the keyboard. You must save in an appropriate format (Save As and choose from the drop down format options). Remember, only people who have Photoshop (for the most part) can open .psd format, the other possibilities for format are more universal, but not jpg.
S
Sparkss
Aug 28, 2004
how do i do a border like this?
< http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Chii_Chan/idNBD.jpg> i think u have to do it with the lasso tool
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 29, 2004
Sparkss,

You said you were wanting a simple, "no fuss" border. The simplest you can get is using the Stroke procedure, which I outlined.

The border you have a link to is a bit more complicated. Actually the border isn’t complicated, but what I think you are seeing as the border requires a bit more studying and practice with the program.
S
Sparkss
Aug 29, 2004
o, well could i ask you how i would do that so i could learn?
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 29, 2004
That image’s border looks to be a drawing, itself, with some effects applied…

You could try drawing the shap of border you want, in the color you want, and then practice applying Bevels, Shadows, Glows, etc. to see how each looks individually, and in combination.
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 29, 2004
Or it could be a border by subtraction. Fill canvas with color. Make selections, delete them, then apply a style to what is left.

Terri

Edit: Start with a transparent document otherwise the deleted areas will fill with your background color.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections