SH
Posted By
sharon_houston
Aug 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have found a tutorial to do this tecnique for photoshop pro – I have that program on my mac However, at this time, I am on my PC and using photoshop elements. I want to soften the border of a picture, feather it, vignet it. Hope you know what I mean. In the turotial for PSP it says to use the quick mask – I can’t even find masking in elements. I do find feathering in elements but can’t figure out how to do it. nothing seems to happen – I know that somehow it shoul involve layers and masking but just can’t get there in elements. Is this possible to do at all in elements – when I looked the term feathering up in theFAQs for Photoshop Elements I got no hits. Even though there is a feathering option available in the program. I hope someone can figure out what I am saying and let me know if this is possible in elements and if it is I could sure use a big fat clue as to how to accomplish it. Thanks sharon

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

LK
Leen_Koper
Aug 11, 2004
There are many ways to achieve this effect.
A very simple basic technique: select a soft brush, select the colour and paint the edges.

Leen
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Aug 11, 2004
Here’s an easy way to put an oval vignette around something:
1. make a new layer above your picture layer
2. on this new layer use the elliptical marquee tool to make and oval — before actually drawing out the oval, increase the feather (in the options bar) to 35 or so (value you need will vary by picture)
3. fill the oval with black
4. make a copy of the layer with the picture you want to vignette and move it just above the oval layer.
5. group the picture with the oval layer (hold down ‘ALT’ and click on the line between the layers).
6. turn off the visibility of the original picture layer — you should now have a vignetted picture.
Bob Warren
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 11, 2004
Without seeing a link, it’s hard to know exactly what you want to accomplish. A way to get the mask if you’re trying to vignette with a mask would be to create a color fill over your photo, use elliptical marquee, feather 35 or so, and fill the color fill mask with black. You can also apply filters (well at least the ones that aren’t greyed out to this mask to create special effects. You mentioned using quick mask so I thought you might be doing something a little more complicated than a standard vignette. PSE by the way doesn’t have quick mask. It has a selection mask as a selection brush option but it is NOT the same thing.

Terri
WC
Warren_Contreras
Aug 13, 2004
I don’t know much about graphics but I did figure out a simpler way to do this.

You can also use any select tool you want, eliptical, rectangular, lasoo and pick different feather settings to your hearts content.

<http://warren.buildtolearn.net/data/5.html>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections