WB
Posted By
wh_bonney
Feb 10, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I installed a much larger startup drive on my Mac G5 (1.5 Tb). I did a fresh install of Photoshop CS but whenever I try to start a new file or open an old one I get the dreaded "could not create new document because of a program error" message.

Tried dumping the preferences. Still doesn’t work. But using the same copy of Photoshop after starting with a different (smaller) startup drive works. It also works if I start the Mac in safe mode.

So I suspect the 1.5 Tb drive as a startup device but don’t know how to fix it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Feb 10, 2009
What OS are you using?
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 10, 2009
The drive probably isn’t the issue.

An OS install with a bad default printer might be at fault.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 10, 2009
Chris,

could not create new document because of a program error

Is there some way that some of these generic "program error" messages can be replaced by meaningful messages?

Neil
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 10, 2009
If we knew what was going on, we would have provided a more useful message.

"Program Error" means "We don’t know what went wrong, but we need to tell you that something bad happened".
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 10, 2009
Chris,

I understand. Still, it’s just a bit exasperating…like the light on the dash that flashes on, saying "engine".

Neil
L
Lundberg02
Feb 10, 2009
That light means you have a 1997 Oldsmobile.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 10, 2009
I knew it meant something…

Neil <g>
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Feb 10, 2009
Is it a Seagate 1.5 TB drive? If so it might need a firmware update. Did you get the Drive from Newegg?
If so more then likely it might need a update firmware or actually you may have to reset the serial number as they have had issues with internal and external drives which have a specific glitch were the serial numbers are eronious and there is a way to fix it contact Seagate or look for the issue on their site.

If it is not Seagate then it is probably not the drive. If it is Seagate and this is the problem it will probably crash anyway. So the good news is once the problem is fixed it works like a charm.

I have an external one which does not have the problem and have been working with it for almost three months and it works very well and is fortunately not one of the bugged out items.

Good luck I actually hope you have one with the problem as it is easy to fix and easy to determine if you have one that has this problem. The drive is good just the setting of the serial or perhaps it was the firmware number.

Contact Seagate if that is your drive. They have since fix the problem so you really should not have gotten an older one.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 11, 2009
more then likely it might need a update firmware

There is a firmware update for a few of the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives to address a drive recognition problem (files are OK though). Unfortunately, Seagate says you need to apply the update via a Windows machine (or send the drive to them).

suspect the 1.5 Tb drive as a startup device

Another problem is that all Seagate drives must be reformatted with Disk Utility for Mac compatibility.

But…neither of these are necessarily an issue as the OP has not indicated a specific drive problem, and Chris believes the problem lies elsewhere.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 11, 2009
more then likely it might need a update firmware

There is a firmware update for a few of the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives to address a drive recognition problem (files are OK though). Unfortunately, Seagate says you need to apply the update via a Windows machine (or send the drive to them).

suspect the 1.5 Tb drive as a startup device

Another problem is that all Seagate drives must be reformatted with Disk Utility for Mac compatibility. (In general, all drives purchased—unless specifically indicated properly formatted for Mac—need to be reformatted upon installation.)

But…neither of these are necessarily an issue as the OP has not indicated a specific drive problem, and Chris believes the problem lies elsewhere.

Neil
R
Ram
Feb 11, 2009
LOL @ Lundberg02
WB
wh_bonney
Feb 12, 2009
Thanks for your advice, everyone. I finally reinstalled OS 10.4, then reinstalled all the updates, then tried again. It finally worked.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 12, 2009
Although not the first choice, often a reinstallation is the best choice — it certainly can be easier and less frustrating than picking through everything on the system.

Neil

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections