Sara_Flynn
Aug 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

Probably the easiest way to describe this problem is step by step —

I open a picture imported from my digital camera and (after much testing) see that it looks the same (has the same colors) in Elements 2, Painter 8 and Windows Picture viewer.

After working with the picture in Elements (levels, colors, maybe a couple of filters) and getting it "just right" I Save it. Now when I open the picture again in Painter, or in any other Windows application the colors are "greener" than when I originally Saved it. What is even weirder is that when I am still working with the original picture and I use Save For Web in the File menu, the color of the picture has the same green cast in the preview windows.

I have Saved pictures as jpg, bmp, tif, and png and had the same effect in all formats. (As a side note, the bmp files seemed to have a more washed out appearance the the other formats).

Anyone else had this problem? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

Sara

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 8, 2004
Sara,

Have you calibrated your monitor yet?

Wendy
SF
Sara_Flynn
Aug 10, 2004
Hi Wendy,

Ya, my monitor has been calibrated. The unusual thing I see is that the picture displays one color cast before it is saved, and a different cast AFTER is it saved. I can even see the difference within Elements in the Save For Web preview windows and the Print Preview windows. The picture displays normally on my screen (correct color cast) but changes color in these preview windows, and when viewed outside of Elements.

Any ideas?
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 10, 2004
Sara,

It does sound like either your monitor needs calibrating OR have you tried downloading and installing Ignore EXIF .. I’m sure its available somewhere on the Adobe site but I don’t know where.

Anyone else know where it is?

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 11, 2004
here;

go to bottom of page to ‘elements 2’…click Mac or Win

<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/main.html>
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 11, 2004
wrote
…Ignore EXIF .. I’m sure its available somewhere on the Adobe site but I
don’t know where.
Anyone else know where it is?

Start here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/main.html

Scroll down the page until you find the entry for Photoshop Elements, then click either Macintosh or Windows link, as appropriate for your system.

Once on the download list, select the "Ignore EXIF Color Space" link and follow instructions from there.

HTH
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 11, 2004
Jodi,

JINX!!

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 11, 2004
Oh, but your was worded so much better !

I guess I’ll make a wish now 🙂
SF
Sara_Flynn
Aug 11, 2004
Thanks all for the link! A question though…

Even if my monitor isn’t calibrated (which it is), why would that make my picture look one color in standard view and different colors in Save For Web preview windows and Print Preview preview windows? I am still in Elements, so should the monitor being calibrated or not calibrated make any difference? I am asking from ingorance so please excuse me if there is an obvious answer…

Thanks again!!
Sara
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 12, 2004
In the back of my mind, I seem to recall a discussion in which it came to light that SFW’s image display is not color-managed. My recollection is that it was the same type of question which prompted the exchange.

Regretfully, I have been unable to find the thread.

Of course, I could be recalling another discussion from another place… or just daydreaming.

Does it ring a bell for anyone else?
RR
Raymond Robillard
Aug 12, 2004
Byron,

There was a similar discussion decades ago (seems that long to me… Haha!) on the Photoshop Album where a picture was not colour managed in certain area of the software and and was in other.

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections