FH
Posted By
Frank_Heller
Dec 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On my rig (PS CS4, 3.0gHz 8 core Intel, 10.5.5, X-1900, 9gB RAM, 30&24"ACD’s)I have observed that:

Zooming above 1200% in Open GL disables the ability to drag a viewable guide. Below a 1200% Zoom factor, the guide normally remains on screen as you drag it, but above 1200%, it remains in its last position until you release the mouse. Then it will appear in the new position.

Something else Open GL related: Selections only snap solidly to guides when the image is unrotated. If you rotate the image to any value other than 0°, snapping becomes spotty or impossible, depending on Zoom factor.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 23, 2008
At 1200% you can see actual pixels so you know that the Guide is going to land where you positioned your Cursor when you lift your Stylus.

A Selection can only snap to a Guide if that Guide is positioned exactly on the edge of a pixel.

I am finding that Selections do Snap, regardless of rotation, but the Guide does have to be placed exactly on a pixel-edge for it to work.
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 23, 2008
Whether or not the guide is exactly positioned on a pixel border is not the issue I’m talking about. I am well aware of guide behavior in Photoshop.

Snap to guides has always exhibited a sort of "bump" during the drag process at the snap point. This "bump" also happens when you drag the center of the selection over the guide..or visa versa. The "bump" is what makes Photoshops traditional "feel" for snapping, unique amongst graphic applications.

This no longer works as consistently as it did before Open GL. With open GL disabled this behavior continues to work as it always has.

There is a noticeable difference as to how selections and guides work in Open GL. This is not an isolated subject.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 23, 2008
I suppose the choice is up to us, the Users: we can either stick with the original behaviour or we have to get used to the idiosyncrasies of OpenGL?
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 23, 2008
"…or we have to get used to the idiosyncrasies of OpenGL? "

Why should we have to tolerate basic UI functionality inconsistencies in the same program. It almost as though we have two different programs running at the same time: one that works well and one that doesn’t.

It really needs to be addressed.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 23, 2008
The problems that some people are having with OpenGL don’t seem to happen to everyone which must make it hard to fix.

For example, I cannot make the issues with Guides and Selections that you are running into happen on my computer at all.

Different chips, processors , video cards, OSX version, multiple monitors?

Could be any of them.
R
Ram
Dec 23, 2008
Those who are in a position to submit a bug report should do so. I’m referring to those users seeing the bugs on a specifically supported system. My experience doesn’t count, as my machine is not officially supported.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections