JF
Posted By
jeff_franklin
Dec 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve looked all over corel.com, adobe.com and the web for a filter or plugin that would allow me to open Corel Photo-Paint images in Adobe Photoshop. I’ve got several old images that I need to open in Photoshop and I can’t believe that one isn’t available. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks
Jeff

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

PC
Philo_Calhoun
Dec 15, 2003
If you have Corel PhotoPaint, you can export the files as psd files.
RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 15, 2003
Open the files in Photopaint and save as PSD.

Bob
D
DV8R
Dec 15, 2003
Ok you cant just open the files without first preparring them for the conversion…. and yes its a total pain in the ass so get ready.

Now from what I can remember from Corel 10 to Photoshop you first have to convert all the drop shadows and stuff to BMP in the layers and the text to curves Im pretty sure all the layers have to be converted so they are no longer editable. the conversion will show very bad results in photoshop when opening images with drop shadows and such that have not been flatened or changed to Bitmaps. I maybe wrong but Im about 99% sure this is what you have to do FIRST.

Then export it and import it or open I cant remember and it ==should== be good to go. But remember COREL is not designed to work along side Photoshop and until they get over themselves it prolly never will. I would use Corel Photopaint all the time if it was compatible with Photoshop and Im sure tons of other designers would as well. Just seems like a waste of time and money to think people arent gping to use Photoshop and convert to COREL….lol ya right. Id convert to Paint Shop Pro before Corel.

So in the future dont even accept files from corel software unless youve masterred the conversion process because you cant just open these files and have them be 100% right even 25% of the time.

Good luck and let me know if I was right about the Bitmap thing.
RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 15, 2003
So in the future dont even accept files from corel software unless youve masterred the conversion process because you cant just open these files and have them be 100% right even 25% of the time.

A pretty bold statement, if you ask me. If you want to blow away a potential customer go for it. As for me, I have both programs just in case.

Bob
D
DV8R
Dec 16, 2003
LOL man u missed the point entirely…..

If its a file you can just redesign from a hard copy than do that instead of screwing around with Corel Photopaint files. And if I would of known you were such an *** Id of never gave you the advice on how to convert these files because its not something you can just read to learn how to do.

If your so confident with Corel than why even ask for help with opening in Photoshop? And thanks for the big thank you for the help with your problem I really am here just mainly to serve your needs.

Later punk.
B
Brian
Dec 16, 2003
DV8R wrote:

What a steaming pile of overgeneralized inaccuracy.
P
Phosphor
Dec 16, 2003
Ease up, DV8…

This forum isn’t you, on ICQ, with a bunch of your good buddies. Pretend the people you’re talking to might be responsible for giving you a job someday. Hey…ya never know…

Spewing smack-talk on someone reveals more about your attitude and emotional age than the it does for the person you’re slamming.

If you don’t mind being a abhorrent laughingstock, then please, carry on as you were.
JF
jeff_franklin
Dec 16, 2003
Thank you all for your info… I didn’t mean to start a controversy. I can open the files in Corel and just save as .psd but I was hoping to avoid this. I have over 400 Corel Photo-paint files and it’d be great to be able to just open them in Photoshop… but I guess until Corel and Adobe can get along, this ain’t gonna happen.

-Jeff
RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 16, 2003
They get along just fine. Corel makes several plugins for Photoshop. But Corel has more to gain by allowing you save out as PSD than Adobe does to allow you to open CPT files.

Bob
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 16, 2003
Latest IrfanView will open CPT files, you can batch convert them all to ..tif, one click. Won’t output .psd.

If you have layers in your CPT files, this may not be a solution, though, as I’m guessing IV won’t pass the layers along.

Mac

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections