Posted By
Thomas Remote
Dec 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I make and save styles, gradients, patterns, etc. Then on occasion they all vanish and I can’t seem to find where these are save to retrieve them.

How do I retrieve them?

Plus, why would they all go away in the first place?

this is ps cs4, mactel, 10.5.x, 12g ram

Thanks lots!

Tom

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Dec 21, 2008
Are you sure you saved them?

If you saved them, you must have saved them to a location, right? Look in that location.
TR
Thomas Remote
Dec 21, 2008
Why would prefs reset if I didn’t reset them?!?

No app crash just poof vanish. I suppose I don’t understand the idea of "saving" but not really saving. Or why it would even be designed to work that way.

If I understand this, all of my stuff I thought was saved was really part of a preference file which can at any time get overwritten for whatever reason?

Huh? What?

Sorry not getting it.

I’ve searched for info on how or why but can’t find ANYTHING that relates to prefs or preferences auto reset… clue please!
P
PShock
Dec 21, 2008
A saved Style is a file, not a preference.

Creating a style is not the same thing as saving a style. When you create a style, name it, and lives in the styles pallet – it will be there when you quit and return to PS, but it’s not actually saved. If the styles are reset (via the flyout menu in the styles pallet), or your general prefs are reset, the style you’ve created will be gone.

To actually save created styles, (to retrieve later on a new system for instance), you have to use the "Save Styles" option in flyout menu. The default save location is Username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Presets/Styles.

To be safe, back up those files somewhere else. If you reinstall Photoshop, the folder may become overwritten and the files will be gone.

-phil
TR
Thomas Remote
Dec 21, 2008
wow, ok, so if I create a style (or a gradient or a pattern) it’s NOT saved even tho every time I launch PS it’s there (that is until now).

That seems odd, any idea why you’d WANT that behavior? Is there anyway to keep persistent styles, gradients, patterns, etc. when the app starts?

Thanks!
P
Phosphor
Dec 21, 2008
Depending on your setup, Preferences can be lost/reset. So in future be sure to Save the as files.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections