BB
Posted By
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, everyone. I have a friend who has a 12" laptop running XP pro and she wants to get a larger monitor for when she’s at home. Space is very tight (why she has a laptop) and she doesn’t really have room for a CRT, unfortunately, so she’s looking for a decent LCD.

I’d recommend one of the smallest discontinued Apple cinema displays, but I think that’s way out of her budget.

Here are the specs on her computer:
Mobile AMD Athlon 1600+
1.39 gig processor
S3 Pro Savage 32MB shared memory graphics card

PE 2 runs tolerably, if not speedily on this machine. Any suggestions for an LCD of bearable quality that won’t cost over $500? She doesn’t need pro graphics level, but would like to be able to do her little projects in PE on a screen larger than 12". A 15 or 17" screen would be fine with her.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
brent_bertram
Jul 9, 2004
Barb,
A Formac Gallery 1740 might barely be in her price range, ( a Cnet rating has a user finding one for $499 , < http://reviews.cnet.com/Formac_Gallery_1740__DVI_/4505-3174_ 7-8749847.html?tag=pdtl-list> ). They are hard to find but at $500 would be a bargain. Ian Lyons ranked it as a good graphics display and you know what I think of him ( What he bought though was a Cinema 23" for a huge amount of money about 18 months ago ).

The Formac is hard to find, but if one shows up, its a keeper.

🙂

Brent
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 9, 2004
I have a Viewsonic LCD (VG series) and it compares quite good to other LCD in its class. VG500 is 15" and displays images very nicely. Now, working on graphics, it became a little small now 😉

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 9, 2004
Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections