J
Posted By
jime
Apr 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can you REALLY edit photos on a LCD monitor as well as you can on a CRT monitor? I would think things like sharpening would be difficult. I am using a 15 year old Sony 19" that was $800 back then. It has work well but is starting to lose contrast. I am looking for a replacement and want to explore LCD.
I am interested in opinions a recomendations on make and model.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

D
Dave
Apr 30, 2008
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:29:33 -0400, "jime"
wrote:

Can you REALLY edit photos on a LCD monitor as well as you can on a CRT monitor? I would think things like sharpening would be difficult. I am using a 15 year old Sony 19" that was $800 back then. It has work well but is starting to lose contrast. I am looking for a replacement and want to explore LCD.

See what kind of guarantee is supplied with what you buy. I bought Acer (19") for a few reasons under which a 3 year on site (!) guarantee. I bought this LCD 2 years ago and won’t swop it for any other make.
FA
Frank Arthur
Apr 30, 2008
When my 19" $800 Sony died it was the luckiest day. Have fun getting rid of the boat anchor.
I bought a Viewsonic 19" Wide Screen LCD (this particular model VX1932).
Better in every respect to the now ancient Sony.

"jime" wrote in message
Can you REALLY edit photos on a LCD monitor as well as you can on a CRT
monitor? I would think things like sharpening would be difficult. I am using a 15 year old Sony 19" that was $800 back then. It has work well
but is starting to lose contrast. I am looking for a replacement and want to
explore LCD.
RB
Rudy Benner
Apr 30, 2008
"jime" wrote in message
Can you REALLY edit photos on a LCD monitor as well as you can on a CRT monitor? I would think things like sharpening would be difficult. I am using a 15 year old Sony 19" that was $800 back then. It has work well
explore LCD.

Get a pair of LCDs to replace the boat anchor. If your video card will not support dual monitors, replace it too.
A
Alienjones
Apr 30, 2008
—–BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE—–
Hash: SHA1

jime wrote:
| Can you REALLY edit photos on a LCD monitor as well as you can on a CRT | monitor? I would think things like sharpening would be difficult. | I am using a 15 year old Sony 19" that was $800 back then. It has work well
| but is starting to lose contrast. I am looking for a replacement and want to
| explore LCD.
| I am interested in opinions a recomendations on make and model. |
|

People say a CRT has a greater dynamic range than a LCD. In some areas this is true but recently Samsung released a backlit LCD screen with the full dynamic range of CMYK (printing standard colour space) so I guess the first statement is no longer true.

The contrast ration of a LCD will determine (if it is correctly described) how much range from white to black the monitor can produce. Higher numbers are supposed to suggest wider gamut. I have a 2000:1 screen taht is no better than a 900:1 screen from a different maker.

The other matter you need to be aware of is the "Digital interface" to connect the monitor to the PC. Some LCDs still only have a 15 pin VGA connection cable.

To get the full benefit of having a digital monitor you need to use the "Digital" connection facility. IF you display card doesn’t have one, you’ll need to factor in a new card.

Most Gforce or Radeon cards sold today have a digital out port. The better ones have two. Using two monitors is a luxury I personally would reserve for dedicated Photoshop users as opposed to casual users.

The principal benefit is being able to work on a pretty much blank screen and have all your tools and floaters on the other screen. It may be worth considering putting you money into one of the new Samsungs and buying a smaller (read cheaper) monitor to use as the tool box.

I personally use a "wide screen" monitor and get almost the value of having 2 monitors at the cost of one. Your preferences may be different.

– —

from Douglas,
If my PGP key is missing, the
post is a forgery. Ignore it.
—–BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE—–
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFIGPNehuxzk5D6V14RApj3AJ9Vfk73vYm9l3ACMPqgIKxXR26MowCf R1LF l6gsrOwT0o58PrnxSsI0ctQ=
=YRmT
—–END PGP SIGNATURE—–
RB
Rudy Benner
Apr 30, 2008
"Alienjones" wrote in message
—–BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE—–
Hash: SHA1

jime wrote:
| Can you REALLY edit photos on a LCD monitor as well as you can on a CRT | monitor? I would think things like sharpening would be difficult. | I am using a 15 year old Sony 19" that was $800 back then. It has work well
| explore LCD.
| I am interested in opinions a recomendations on make and model. |
|

People say a CRT has a greater dynamic range than a LCD. In some areas this is true but recently Samsung released a backlit LCD screen with the full dynamic range of CMYK (printing standard colour space) so I guess the first statement is no longer true.

The contrast ration of a LCD will determine (if it is correctly described) how much range from white to black the monitor can produce. Higher numbers are supposed to suggest wider gamut. I have a 2000:1 screen taht is no better than a 900:1 screen from a different maker.
The other matter you need to be aware of is the "Digital interface" to connect the monitor to the PC. Some LCDs still only have a 15 pin VGA connection cable.

To get the full benefit of having a digital monitor you need to use the "Digital" connection facility. IF you display card doesn’t have one, you’ll need to factor in a new card.

Most Gforce or Radeon cards sold today have a digital out port. The better ones have two. Using two monitors is a luxury I personally would reserve for dedicated Photoshop users as opposed to casual users.
The principal benefit is being able to work on a pretty much blank screen and have all your tools and floaters on the other screen. It may be worth considering putting you money into one of the new Samsungs and buying a smaller (read cheaper) monitor to use as the tool box.
I personally use a "wide screen" monitor and get almost the value of having 2 monitors at the cost of one. Your preferences may be different.
– —

from Douglas,
If my PGP key is missing, the
post is a forgery. Ignore it.
—–BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE—–
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFIGPNehuxzk5D6V14RApj3AJ9Vfk73vYm9l3ACMPqgIKxXR26MowCf R1LF l6gsrOwT0o58PrnxSsI0ctQ=
=YRmT
—–END PGP SIGNATURE—–

I initially bought the two monitors for Photoshop and find I am using them both for other apps as well.
V
Voivod
May 1, 2008
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:34:57 -0400, "Rudy Benner" scribbled:

"jime" wrote in message
Can you REALLY edit photos on a LCD monitor as well as you can on a CRT monitor? I would think things like sharpening would be difficult. I am using a 15 year old Sony 19" that was $800 back then. It has work well
explore LCD.

Get a pair of LCDs to replace the boat anchor. If your video card will not support dual monitors, replace it too.

Yeah, everybody’s got that kind of money laying around for frivilous purposes….

"I need a new monitor"

"Buy TWO and a new video card!"

fucking imbecile…
K
keepout
May 1, 2008
On Thu, 01 May 2008 08:31:58 +1000, Alienjones
wrote:

| explore LCD.
| I am interested in opinions a recomendations on make and model.

If your art isn’t being criticized by Disney, get yourself a bargain. I’m using the HP vs19e flat panel LCD.

reasons:
1 HP – Great tech support. I have 2 all-in-one scanner,printer,copier because of HP’s support. the 1st one took a header [inside warranty] from the desktop at 4 ft. Yanked the USB connector to shreds. I need a printer, so I got the HP 2355v, b4 contacting HP to repair the connector.
They said ship the old one, and they sent me a refurbed. NO Charge, NOT EVEN shipping.

2 Last CRT 17 " burned out ridiculously. just sitting their working away and phhhffttt. It quit.. 1,5 years old. That was a TTT or something with a bunch of T’s in the name. Worked, but I expect obsolescence to last more than a week beyond the warranty.

3 weight…
4 footprint, takes up less room.

5 well there was an initial shock in the difference of the screen. ie: Mine sits with the bottom about 7 inches above eye level. Not enough room on the desktop for it and everything else so it sits on a bookcase I sat on the desk. What happens here is that viewing from below, the screen is much darker than if you look at it on eye level. With the CRT, the brightness was the same from all angles. It’s something I can live with.

6 price. about the same as everything else. Plus HP sells thru Walmart making everything even cheaper.

I don’t think you’re going to be able to save money with a LCD. CRT’s are going out, so they’ll be the best cash bargain.

more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
TC
tony cooper
May 1, 2008
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:29:33 -0400, "jime"
wrote:

When my Sony Trinitron 19" went the deceased parrot route I bought a Samsung SyncMaster 931a LCD. I’m delighted with it.

The only difference I note is that an LCD is only viewable from straight-on. That doesn’t affect me, but someone standing beside me doesn’t see what I see.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
D
dorayme
May 1, 2008
In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

The only difference I note is that an LCD is only viewable from straight-on. That doesn’t affect me, but someone standing beside me doesn’t see what I see.

Actually, this is not quite so. it depends on how much you pay, to put it in a nutshell. I have two on my desk and one was dear and has a great angle of view (someone on a stool next to me sees fine) and the other cheapie for the file system and tools and stuff, hopeless if not straight on!

dorayme
K
keepout
May 1, 2008
On Thu, 01 May 2008 21:26:37 +1000, dorayme
wrote:

In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

Actually, this is not quite so. it depends on how much you pay, to put it in a nutshell. I have two on my desk and one was dear and has a great angle of view (someone on a stool next to me sees fine) and the other cheapie for the file system and tools and stuff, hopeless if not straight on!

It’s not a fault, it’s part of the NO GLARE design. 7 inches below head on affects my screen from normal to dark.

RG
Roy G
May 1, 2008
wrote in message
wrote:

In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

It’s not a fault, it’s part of the NO GLARE design. 7 inches below head on affects my screen from normal to dark.

I agree it is not a fault.

It is a feature, a negative feature, of the cheapo TN designs.

The marketing people try to make out it is a positive feature by saying it reduces glare, and if you choose to believe that, so be it.

The colours you see, will vary as you move your viewpoint away from dead centre. This can make editing a little bit difficult, which is why the dearer VA or IPS screen designs are recommended for photo editing. They don’t have any glare, either.

Roy G
J
jaSPAMc
May 1, 2008
found these unused words:

wrote:

In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

Either way, the LCD is much harder on the eyes. I also can’t multi-monitor match as well as I can with CRTs.
K
Kimmik
May 1, 2008
Normally we use a monitor for 3 till 4 years and sale them because you cann’t trust them much longer….

"jime" schreef in bericht
explore LCD.
J
jaSPAMc
May 2, 2008
"Kimmik" found these unused words:

Normally we use a monitor for 3 till 4 years and sale them because you cann’t trust them much longer….
IF you invest in a calibrator and have a tech who can adjust the internal controls (usually 6 – 3 each screen and drive) they’ll work well for double that period.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections