D
Posted By
DaveH
Jul 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After adjusting my photos to where they really look great on my monitor they print out to a lesser quality and/or the contrast, brightness, etc is different than what my editing shows. Any suggestions to get my edited pics to come out as what my monitor showes wwwooould be appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

F
flddb
Jul 7, 2004
I’m going to assume that you’ve seen your photos on a different computer and that they don’t look butt ugly – that is, your monitor is giving you the same general image quality as other monitors.

1st – make sure you are using good paper – most store brands will yield color quite unlike what you see onscreen. And a mismatch between printer and paper brands will also disappoint. The best bet for dialing in the setup is to use the paper your printer manufacturer sells, and start with their best glossy.

2nd – you have 2 ways to adjust out the monitor/print difference – adjust the monitor to display what the printer produces, or adjust the printouts to match what you see on the monitor. Adjusting the printout is probably easier if the difference isn’t too great.

Select a photo with a good range of colors for testing. Don’t worry about printing large – getting color and contrast into the right ballpark is the first order of business and doesn’t require large prints to accomplish.

When you go to print, select the Properties or Preferences option, select the right paper type, and then go to the Custom print option. Using the Custom/Set button, select the highest quality available and then exit. Then select Manual for the Color Adjustment setting and then click the Set button. Here you need to get systematic about your experiments.

If your prints seem to be deficient in one color, increase the intensity of that color and print. If a color seems too strong, decrease it and print. You can increase or decrease the overall color level using Intensity, which also tends to increase/decrease contrast. The important part is to change only one characteristic for each test print. Otherwise, you’ll get lost in complimentary and competing effects of multiple changes in a single test.

If this method is going to work, you should see significant progress by the 4th or 5th print. If you don’t seem to be getting anywhere by the 5th print, then the idea of adjusting the monitor to match the print will probably do better. THAT set of adjutsments is most substantial. I suggest you do a Google search on "calibrate monitor" to find guidance.

Good luck.

Bob in Las Vegas

"DaveH" wrote in message
After adjusting my photos to where they really look great on my monitor they print out to a lesser quality and/or the contrast, brightness, etc is different than what my editing shows. Any suggestions to get my edited pics to come out as what my monitor showes wwwooould be
appreciated.
D
DaveH
Jul 8, 2004
Thanks Bob – I think you answered a question about why you have to adjust the monitor settings when you install a photo editing program

DaveH wrote:
After adjusting my photos to where they really look great on my monitor they print out to a lesser quality and/or the contrast, brightness, etc is different than what my editing shows. Any suggestions to get my edited pics to come out as what my monitor showes wwwooould be appreciated.
K
KnockKnock
Jul 9, 2004
Contrary to almost all posts to correct this problem by calibrating the monitor, I have found that since my digital camera uses the sRGB profile, I have best results to also set my monitor, PSE2, and printer to also use the sRGB profile (and by the way sRGB the same color space used by all or most all web print services). What I see is what I print (home and services) with the sole exception that I may have to adjust home print intensity a few ticks either side of neutral depending on what paper I am using at the time (web services do not offer the ability to adjust print intensity). I can attest to spending lots of time and money on ink and paper figuring this one out and finally setting on using sRGB at every stage of the process. Good Luck.

< < < All outgoing e-mail scanned with NAV2004 > > >

"DaveH" wrote in message
After adjusting my photos to where they really look great on my monitor they print out to a lesser quality and/or the contrast, brightness, etc is different than what my editing shows. Any suggestions to get my edited pics to come out as what my monitor showes wwwooould be
appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections