Views
Replies
Status
Closed
To all D70 users,

Nikon has posted a firmware update.

Cliff

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jul 5, 2004
My advice….if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Colin
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jul 5, 2004
Colin,

As a potential owner of a D70, what was updated?

Robert
J
jhjl1
Jul 5, 2004
Quote from DP Review:
"
About this firmware:

The D70 has two sets of firmware, A and B, which must be updated separately, the D70 ‘A’ firmware from version 1.00 to version 1.01 and ‘B’ firmware from version 1.01 to version 1.02. This download file contains both sets of firmware, A and B as separate files. Upgrade is not necessary if your camera already has these versions of firmware installed.

Issues addressed with ‘A’ firmware version 1.01

a.. Correction of vignetting that was sometimes visible in the upper areas of images captured in Continuous mode using high shutter speeds.

b.. Correction of an issue that intermittently prevented the Automatic Sensitivity Adjustment function (ISO Auto: CSM 5) to work when the built-in Speedlight was raised but did not fire.
Issues addressed with ‘B’ firmware version 1.02

a.. Supports for Compact FlashT memory cards with a capacity greater than 4GB has been added.

b.. Correction of an issue that sometimes prevented the camera from being turned off when images were captured in Continuous mode. This occurred at an Image size setting of ‘M’ and an Image quality setting of ‘FINE’, and caused the memory card access lamp to glow continuously.

c.. Errors in Chinese menus and message text have been corrected. "

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Colin,

As a potential owner of a D70, what was updated?

Robert
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 5, 2004
How I love Chinese menus! Especially "For Nam" with noodles! Now I will have to buy a hateful D70 too?

Leen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 5, 2004
🙁
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 5, 2004
Personally, I feel that whenever a firmware update comes along, I’m going to install it. I think we’ve had two so far for the Canon 10D (Ray, is that correct?). To me, it’s kinda like keeping your OS or your anti-virus program up-to-date; I just do it.
J
jhjl1
Jul 5, 2004
Agreed.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Personally, I feel that whenever a firmware update comes along, I’m
going to
install it. I think we’ve had two so far for the Canon 10D (Ray, is
that
correct?). To me, it’s kinda like keeping your OS or your anti-virus program up-to-date; I just do it.

JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
Jul 6, 2004
Having done computer technical support in the past, I have run into MANY situations where upgrades have ‘nuked’ a perfectly running system. However, the number of such incidents seems to be declining. I think software companies (like Microsoft) got the ‘hint’ when some very big customers reacted so angrily about issues with service packs and such. Still, other than identified serious security risks, I will not apply an upgrade that is not relevant to what I do, and I always give it a couple of weeks ‘in the field’ before I apply it.

As to virus updates, my software checks for updates to definitions DAILY. But I treat updates to the software itself just like any other software update. I remember applying an upgrade to NAV on a Win2000 Exchange (email) server one day. Suddenly, no one could email at all, and all server activity was extremely slow. When I looked, there were error messages being entered into the log file at the rate of about 180 per minute. You can bet I backed that one out in a hurry! In the end, though, the fix required an incremental upgrade to Exchange before the NAV update would behave.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 6, 2004
Personally, I feel that whenever a firmware update comes along, I’m going to install it. I think we’ve had two so far for the Canon 10D (Ray, is that correct?). To me, it’s kinda like keeping your OS or your anti-virus program up-to-date; I just do it.

As far as I can remember, we’ve had 3 updates so far… 1.01, 2.00 and 2.01.

As for avoiding problems.. I do not install updates when they add functionalities I don’t need (like the direct printing which I will never use), but I do install them when they correct an issue, even if I don’t have the particular issue. I don’t wait for being faced with it to need the update… 😉

There is, finally, the placebo effect, where installing a firmware upgrade makes your cooking taste better, the car running on less fuel, and you find that after performing the update, you lost 15 pounds, can run a mile without being short of breath, and you’ve quit smoking, that same evening, cold turkey… 😉

Seriously, I don’t know if this is "an urban legend" but sometimes, people will report things running smoother than before (faster focus, smaller file size, etc.) after upgrading, even when the upgrade itself didn’t fix any particular problem in those areas. It could be true, not every manufacturer is willing to come out and admit a certain problem with some functions, as they have the possibility to silently fix it in the next firmware upgrade.

Ray
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jul 6, 2004
I’ve been in the computer industry all my life and all too often have seen updates fix one set of problems only to introduce others. If it doesn’t affect me then I leave it well alone (except for virus and security updates). Take a look at the Photoshop forum and see all the threads about ATI display drivers. The new ones blew away the Adobe Gamut Correction function. Now people are retreating back to the earlier versions.

S/W is a complicated component and it’s virtually impossible for vendors to test all of it and verify it bug free (hence no warranty). Even good ‘ole Microsoft have issued Windows Service Packs that have made some of their own products not work.

The choice is yours.

Colin
DS
Dick_Smith
Jul 6, 2004
Maybe I living a charmed life, but my PC is set to autodownload and install the updates to EZTrust Antivirus every morning at 8:00 am and I’ve not had a bit of trouble with it. I don’t, however, do the same with Microsoft! 🙂

Dick
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jul 6, 2004
The thing about anti-virus updates is that they seldom update the program. It’s just the database of viruses (virusii ??) that get updated which is pretty safe as functionality is not really changing.

Firewalls are kind of different.

And Microsoft….well??

Colin
NH
noel_hsu
Jul 7, 2004
I bought the D100 when it first came out and within 2 weeks had to send it in for a firmware upgrade. My view is that Nikon knows better than I which is why I sent it in. I think with software upgrades there is are known bugs and also unknown bugs that Nikon (and others) would not want to draw attention to. Upgrades do tend to be a catch-all in that sense. I expect a company like Nikon would carry out rigourous testing prior to releasing an upgrade to prevent upgrader-nightmares.
And then there might be the moment when you need the functionality that you never thought you would need, and it’s in version 2.01a which can only be upgraded from 1.98 …
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
Jul 7, 2004
Speaking about known and unknown bugs…

U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld once uttered these phrases when attempting to clarify a point in a defence department meeting:

"Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don’t know we don’t know".
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 7, 2004
John, <rollin>

lovin it

I wonder if i can remember all that ? How did he ? Well, I know that I don’t know.
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jul 8, 2004
Since I work in the defence and aerospace sector it’s not suprising to me that I know what he’s talking about. This is well known in the field of Risk Management where you try and quantify things that you know may happen and things that you can’t possibly foresee, so that you can plan mitigation strategies.

Don’t believe that any commercial company can possibly test the full extent of their S/W and declare it bug free? If they did why would you need upgrades except for feature enhancement.

The D&A sector puts a lot of effort into doing this for mission critical items and it costs a fortune and still stuff slips through.

Still your choice

Colin
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
Jul 9, 2004
Colin: Don’t believe that any commercial company can possibly test the
full extent of their S/W and declare it bug free?

Then there are the companies like Accenture (formerly Andersen Consulting). They charged the previous Provincial government here in Ontario, Canada $500 million for a system to look after "social assistance" payments. But they forgot to test if it could handle a rate increase. Guess what. It doesn’t. Estimates for a fix have been $10-20 million dollars.

Of course, it seems that no one at the Ministry thought to check this either during the "review and test" period.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections