S
Posted By
slp20082008
Jun 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On various computers the photo saves to whatever will OPEN the photo on a specific computer (e.g., QuickTime). I can tell this, I guess, by the icon’s picture on my desktop. What do I WANT the photo to open in when my long-term goal is to archive?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

D
davee
Jun 20, 2004
Not entirely sure what you mean, but it seems you are saying that Save As saves to a folder not necessarily of your choosing, but one determined for you by other s/w such as QuickTime.
If this is the case, then here is a solution:

In the Save As dialog you will see at the top the ‘Save In’ area with the current default folder ID displayed. Click the arrow at the end and you will see a tree display of your PC with the route to the current folder expanded. You need to change this to your ‘desired’ folder, so just navigate to this from the drive letter (C: if you have only one HDD). Then the file will save to this folder and next time you use Save As PSe will usually remember the last folder you used.

If you want to create a new folder – say C:\PhotoArchives then first navigate as described above to the starting point (C:) then click on the second yellow icon (a folder with a ‘star effect’ top right) and a folder called New Folder will be created. The name New Folder will be shown white in blue with a flashing cursor at the end. Do not click anything – just immediately type the name you want (e.g. PhotoArchives) then press Enter and the new folder has that name.
Now click Open and the empty new folder box appears. Now click Save and it’s done.

Next tine you use Save As PSE will almost certainly show the new folder as the destination, unless you have chnaged the setting in some way. So you can just save to it. If it’s not shown then navigate to it as above.

When you want to open the photos go to the folder via My Computer and click the photo. It will open in the default application for the type on your PC. So .PSDs will open with PSE. .JPGs will open with something else depending on other packages.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 20, 2004
Hi,

I’m not sure that I understand your question, probably because English isn’t my native language, so I’ll try anyway…

On various computers the photo saves to whatever will OPEN the photo on a specific computer (e.g., QuickTime). I can tell this, I guess, by the icon’s picture on my desktop.

In fact, there are few applications that actually "saves" a picture. On a Mac, iPhoto saves pictures in its own folder, on the PC, Photoshop Album saves pictures in its own directories. Other than that, applications merely acts as a viewer to read and display the content of files, such as QuickTime. It doesn’t store anything, it will let you view the pictures.

What do I WANT the photo to open in when my long-term goal is to archive?

This is where I’m the most confused… Photos will always be opened with whatever software is on any computer at the time. What’s important is the format in which the pictures are stored. If you want to be able to view them on a great number of platform, then choose a standard format (TIFF, JPG, PSD, PDF).

If I missed the point to your question, please post it again, with more words. Sorry… sometimes, my lack of understanding of English shows up a great deal!

Ray
O
OldnSenile
Jun 21, 2004
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:10:05 -0700, wrote:

"On various computers the photo saves to whatever will OPEN the photo on a specific computer (e.g., QuickTime). I can tell this, I guess, by the icon’s picture on my desktop."

slp…,

I believe you are referring to the icon that precedes the filename. That does refer to the program that opens the file, and is determined by associations that are established during application program installation. You can change this association (on a PC), by "right click" on the data file (e.g.a JPG), and selecting "open with" and "choose program"; then check "always use this program to open these files" and select the application program you want to open files with that extension, and click "OK"

After that, a double-click on the data file will open it in the associated application. It also still can be opened in different applications, by dragging the data file name over the application filename (or icon), if the application is designed to allow this.

Usually, you can select the type of file (the filename extension) to be saved, from several alternatives in the application program which is used to create or modify the data file.

OldnSenile

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections