DP
Posted By
David_P_Kelly
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am scanning my Colour slides into Photoshop Elements 2.02 from a Canon 5000f scanner.

The file sizes when scanned in at 300dpi are on average 4.5mb

My save settings are as follows –

JPEG File
ICC Profile – Yes
Quality – 12 maximum
Baseline optimised

The saved file size is only on average 1.5 MB

Does this mean my saved image is only 1/3rd the quality of the original image ??

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 13, 2004
What format is your scanner set to scan in and where are you getting the original file size of 4.5MB you quoted? Saving to JPEG will compress the file, so it could be that, yes, you are losing a great deal of original digital information. I save in either TIFF or PSD when I want to maintain all of the quality of the original scan.
DP
David_P_Kelly
Feb 14, 2004
Hi Beth
I am scanning in Color pos slides.

When scanning is complete Adobe Doc size says it is on average 4.5mb. When saved it is on average 1.5mb file size.
When I retrieve the file the Doc size is back to 4.5mb.

According to the help screen Doc size is the same as file size but is it?

Is there any way of decreasing the JPEG compression without using Tiff?

Dave
MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 14, 2004
Again, with JPEG, size on disk is generally always smaller than the size when opened.
While working with a file, Elements reports file size as per total pixel dimensions, as if it were saved as a TIFF file.

Yes, of course you can set different compression/quality settings for JPEG – smaller the file size, lower the quality. If you save at highest quality, there is still some loss of quality and at that point you might as well be using TIFF or PSD for the minimal space saving you’ll get.

But best advice is not to even SAVE as .jpg except for final product for web/onscreen viewing. And keep a TIFF or PSD copy for any future editing/output.

Mac

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections