DN
Posted By
David_Neale
Jun 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Having recently changed my 15" iMac for a 20" one, I’ve just installed Photoshop Elements on the new machine. Installation seemed to work correctly, but when I try to start Photoshop Elements, i see the sunflower spalsh screen until "Reading fonts…" at which point the application simply closes — no error message, it just shuts the splash screen and is no longer active.

Any ideas, please?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 17, 2004
David,

Have you tried trashing the prefs file …

To do that click on the start up icon and quickly hold down the Control, Alt and Shift keys (If you are a Mac user Apple, Alt and Shift). Continue to hold down all three keys until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings … just say Yes.

If you have already tried that then you may have a corrupt font …

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 18, 2004
Corrupted font(s)… ? Have you installed any fonts from the previous Mac to this one? If so, remove them, and try to see if PSE will start.

Ray
DN
David_Neale
Jun 18, 2004
I have discovered the reason for the problem! This will probably be of litle use to presumably monolingual US system users, but others might be interested in what seems to be a problem in the way in which Photoshop Elements bases its startup on certain System Preferences.

My own System Preferences -> International -> Language setting did not have English as the first language in the list of "preferred order for use in application menus…" However, after having dragged English to the top of the list, logged out, and logged back in, Photoshop Elements started correctly.

Strange but true!
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 18, 2004
Curious. However did you discover this solution?
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 18, 2004
Lucky me, even though my native language is French, I’ve always ordered all my software in English… !

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 18, 2004
Ray,

Why do you do that? … just curious

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 18, 2004
Wendy, there are a couple of reasons… First of all, software comes out in English first, always. So as patches, updates, upgrades and fixes.

Also, under Windows, it’s always been conflicting to install a French software on an English Windows. Worst case scenario, half of the dialog boxes would be in the other other language (like File / Open, but the open dialog is now in French) after installing a foreign language software.

Finally, it makes it easier for me to relate to stuff I learn (or teach) when I can use the right wording, instead of guessing how, say Adobe, translated a certain filter, for example.

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 18, 2004
Now I understand …. 🙂

Wendy
DN
David_Neale
Jun 19, 2004
Mark Reibman – 08:23am Jun 18, 2004 Pacific (#4 of 8)

Curious. However did you discover this solution? <<

I followed the messages in the startup splash screen and noticed that one of them mentioned languages, so i simply worked from there.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections