Posted By
mariska_Hanegraaf
Dec 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello Everyone.

A few weeks ago I got Photoshop CS4 and altho I’m pretty happy with it, I have some things I want to fix soon, otherwise I will step back to CS3.
I’m working on a MacBook, 4GB RAM, 2.2 GHz.
My problem is that the guides show up really light. While using a white background I can barely see them. They are still the blue that is default, but I can barely see them.
Same goes for the frame while using Free Transform, those lines are very light and hard to see to. And the cross of my clone stamp is barely to see too.
I don’t have a clue about graphic card or whatever, and if this isn’t a bug I can fix in Photoshop itself, I’m not sure I will use it anymore, because I’m not going to change the settings of my graphic card, just because I don’t know anything about it and I don’t want to ruin my laptop.

Can someone please help me??

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 4, 2008
It sounds as if you have your screen set to be far too bright.

It is absolutely essential that you calibrate your monitor if you are using graphics programs.
MH
mariska_Hanegraaf
Dec 4, 2008
My monitor is calibrated, because it’s a Macbook! And with photoshop CS3 there were bright and share lines that showed great on the same monitor with the same settings.
But now the guide is light and it sometimes seems as it’s a double line. Even setting the brightness of my monitor back doesn’t work.
And it’s not only with the guides, but also with the clone stamp and the free transformation lines.
P
PShock
Dec 4, 2008
My monitor is calibrated, because it’s a Macbook!

That it’s a Macbook is irrelevant. The only way your monitor is calibrated is if you’ve physically calibrated it yourself. "Macbook" (or any Mac), is not synonymous with "calibrated".

-phil
R
Ram
Dec 4, 2008
My monitor is calibrated, because it’s a Macbook!

Oy!
JM
J_Maloney
Dec 4, 2008
Fix up look sharp!
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 4, 2008
Mariska,

Not to beat this issue further, but for any color-critical work, a good hardware calibrator (EyeOne, Spyder3, etc.) needs to be installed.

Neil
R
Ram
Dec 4, 2008
Calibrate and profile your monitors often and regularly.
MH
mariska_Hanegraaf
Dec 4, 2008
It is NOT because of my colors!
My monitor is okay, my colors are okay and it doesn’t matter!!! I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t make a difference!!

The problem is with CS 4!!!!!
CS3 shows the guides fine, light blue and sharp, same goes with the lines of Free Transmation which are dark and the cross with my clone stamp is dark too.
But in CS 4 I can’t see the cross that goes with the clone stamp, I can barely see the lines that go with the free transmation and I can’t see my guides.

Here are screenshots:
CS4: <http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/8074/afbeelding1ka6.png>

CS3: <http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/9504/afbeelding3ma2.png>

Do you finally see what I mean??
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 4, 2008
Even your CS3 ones look very light to me but you can select any color of your choice for your Guides.

To do that, Click on the colored square in Prefs./Guides and choose another color from the picker.

Are you driving your monitor at its native resolution?
P
Phosphor
Dec 4, 2008
What’s with the cloudy mess in the top menu bar, Mariska?
JM
J_Maloney
Dec 4, 2008
How does everything look at 25% view (instead of 16,7%)?
MH
mariska_Hanegraaf
Dec 5, 2008
Ann, it doesn’t change if I use an other color for the guides, it stays really light and transparant.
I don’t know what you mean with native resolution, but my monitor stands on the biggest resolution that’s possible: 1280 x 800 pixels.
And the unchecking "Vertical Sync." doesn’t help.

Oh, and I don’t know what you mean with cloudy mess, it’s just a printscreen.

The viewing guides don’t change if I look at 16,7%, 25% or even 200%.
P
Phosphor
Dec 5, 2008
OK, Mariska…I think I get it. That "cloudy mess" is because of the new translucent top menu bar in Leopard, and your desktop image is showing through.

I’d disable that (i.e. make opaque) as one of the first things after loading OS X 10.5.x. But that’s just me.

🙂
MH
mariska_Hanegraaf
Dec 5, 2008
I like it!

But that’s totally off topic.
Any other ideas what I can do about those guides! Because they are really bugging me!
MH
mariska_Hanegraaf
Dec 8, 2008
I fixed my own problem!
I noticed that when I opened more than 9 photos, that new thing: OpenGL gave a note and after hitting ok, everything worked fine.
So now I unchecked Enable OpenGL Drawing and everything works fine!
J
JWeber
Dec 10, 2008
Yeah having OGL on also makes paths sort of hard to work with too. There are some things OGL brings that I like, but some just make things funky.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 10, 2008
Mariska:

The type of video card that you have will limit the number of open images that you can have and still use OpenGL — having more VRAM on a card will increase the number.

OpenGL offers a number of great features but it is up to you to decide whether you need so many images to be open simultaneously; or whether to limit their number and enjoy the benefits of OpenGL.
MH
mariska_Hanegraaf
Dec 10, 2008
Yeah, but that OpenGL made everything look weird, so I’m not going to use it anymore! Now I have Photoshop like how I want it!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections