A
Posted By
AK
Jun 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After a lot of searching the various boards and Adobe and Nikon websites without finding plug-ins for the NEF format available with the D70, I found that there are actually plug-ins provided with PictureProject, which is a sort of simpleminded transfer and edit application provided with the D70. These allow PSE to open NEF files. (I have PSE 1, but I assume PSE 2 is the same or better)

In the interests of helping others that have been looking for these plug-ins, I thought I’d post the names and locations of the files. They are in your

C:\Program Files\Nikon\PictureProject folder (assuming a standard install), and are named:

Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi
and
Nikon YCC TIFF.8BI.

I don’t know if you need both, or which is the correct or better one – I simply copied them both into my Elements folder at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Plug-Ins\Automate, and, to be on the safe side, to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Plug-Ins.

PSE then opens the files, though, as I think others have noted, the EXIF info is not available.

(a pity that such a great camera comes with such poor software, BTW – or that you have to pay for the presumably more powerful Nikon Capture 4.1 which comes as a trial version)

Alan

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections