J
Posted By
jhjl1
Jun 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am one of two photographers for a wedding this weekend, any tips. It is an informal affair that will last for four days. It actually started yesterday and ends on Sunday. I will be shooting the outdoor wedding ceremony in the mountains in Crested Butte as well as the first reception on Saturday and the brunch and second reception on Sunday. I missed yesterdays river rafting trip and today’s games in the park. At least one of the events will be full costume regalia. Every event will be outdoors in secluded areas with a wild and large crowd.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
Jun 5, 2004
Tip #1. Photographers work much better when they’re sober. 🙂

Sounds like quite the affair, James! Outdoors, large ‘wild’ crowd… You may have quite the time coralling people for any of the more traditional, ‘expected’ shots. Unless you are a dominant personality with a loud voice…

Tip #2. Find the ‘Alpha’ figure of the group – the person who commands everyone’s attention and respect – and get that person to assist you with ‘people control’.
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jun 5, 2004
Be aware that if the lady is wearing white this will have an effect on the overall lighting scheme. Especially on a sunny day. I would make sure that at least some pictures are taken where you can see that it is a nice and sunny day but where the subjects are in the shade. No doubt Leen can help you further.

By the way have fun.

Robert
CS
Cliff_Skidmore
Jun 5, 2004
James

I have a similar situation coming up next month for my nephew.

Some tips
For the closeups, the eyes should be the point of focus. If you shoot in direct sun, try to have it off to one side and use fill flash.
If you mess up a few, you always have Elements to fix em. 🙂 Have fun!
Cliff
LK
Leen_Koper
Jun 5, 2004
James,

This is quite an unusual wedding ceremony!
Most important tips on my behalf:

Don’t shoot large groups; small groups of people will be appreciated as one will be able to see the facial expression.

Whenever possible, on sunny days work in the shadows to avoid high contrasts.

Working in full sunlight, always use fill flash, set about one stop below your meter reading.

Don’t do any experiments; play it safe. You have got to record the event and that ‘s all; forget about any creative experimenst. This is not the right timeto do something you have never done before. The key words are : in focus and well exposed.

At an event like this: travel light, but never forget to have a back up camera on hand. Bring plenty of film or cards and batteries.

Check your setting on the camera as often as possible, all day long. Check constantly how many shots you have left on your film or memory card. Nothing is as anoying as running out of shots when you desperately need it.

Probably most important tip: RECORD EMOTION. That’s what it is all about!

I wish you good luck and lots of luck if it ‘s a paid job. 😉 Have a good time.

Leen
LK
Leen_Koper
Jun 5, 2004
Cliff, if you shoot in direct sun, it is much nicer to shoot backlit subjects with fill flash. Much safer too.

Leen
CS
Cliff_Skidmore
Jun 5, 2004
Leen
You are probably correct, but I prefer closeups to be lit by natural light with the flash used only to remove shadows. When the sun is behind, the flash is the predominant light source and I find it much harsher. Guess my preference is natural light.

Cliff
J
jhjl1
Jun 5, 2004
Thanks to all for the advice. This will be a fun affair I’m sure. The other photographer will be doing the "traditional shots" and I am to capture the fun side of the events.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
I am one of two photographers for a wedding this weekend, any tips. It is an informal affair that will last for four days. It actually
started
yesterday and ends on Sunday. I will be shooting the outdoor wedding ceremony in the mountains in Crested Butte as well as the first reception on Saturday and the brunch and second reception on Sunday. I missed yesterdays river rafting trip and today’s games in the park. At least one of the events will be full costume regalia. Every event will be outdoors in secluded areas with a wild and large crowd.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson

LK
Leen_Koper
Jun 5, 2004
Cliff, try to use your flash in backlit situations at 50%. You will be amazed how natural it will look. Fill flash is, just like you said, to reduce shadows. This way you just only brighten the shadowside of the faces and the natural light will still be the main source. Photography is indeed about controlling ones shadows.
Just like you I hate these well known over flashed images like the movie stars and baseball player cards that came with the chewing gum several decades ago. These photographers used flash light as the main source.

Leen
J
JPWhite
Jun 5, 2004
If you’re not doing the traditional shots, then the ‘pressure’ is off for you to perform which sholud help you do so.

My advice is to try and capture plenty of candid shots to supplement the official photos. To go unnoticed to get those candid shots you’ll need a decent telephoto, at least 135 if not more. Let the pro do the full length poses and try and get plenty of head and shoulders shots of guests as they enjoy the festivities. Kids will get bored easily and get up to mischief while the adults do their thing, you should be able to catch a few up to all sorts.

Have fun!

JP
LK
Leen_Koper
Jun 5, 2004
JP, I wouldnot go for a telephotolens, but for a 50mm or even 35 mm. The problem of a telephotolens is its smaller depth of field and increased chance of camera shake. Next to that, using a fill flash, you will need an extremely powerful flash to be able to cover these greater distances.
Using these shorter lenses forces the photographer to get close to the action. If you keep on smiling, people tend to accept a photographer as not intrusive. Especially in a large crowd a wide angle lens is often very useful.

At least, that ‘s the way I would do it. 😉

Leen
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
Jun 6, 2004
James, when you get done with that ‘modest little wedding’ you’re doing, ask the wedding party if we might get a peek at your pics, too.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections