Posted By
Volus
Jul 30, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
do you know how to make an effect oftenly seen on wedding pictusres? It’s a kind of glow of white parts of pictures without loosing of crispiness and shapness of the picture.

Volus

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
BD
Jul 30, 2007
On Jul 30, 3:18 pm, "Volus" wrote:
Hi
do you know how to make an effect oftenly seen on wedding pictusres? It’s a kind of glow of white parts of pictures without loosing of crispiness and shapness of the picture.

Volus

I’d use the Filters/Distort/Diffuse Glow filter – I expect that’s the one you mean. Note that it uses the your current color as the ‘accent’ color, so if you don’t have white selected first, it’ll make some wacky results.

Personally, I love that effect.
J
Joel
Jul 31, 2007
"Volus" wrote:

Hi

Volus

Do you have any sample so we can see what you are talking about? And depend on your level you may and may not be able to benefit from the command(s) I try to give you (it’s hard to give all small detail, or if you know Photoshop well enough then you should have no problem).

Just pick one or the combo you like

– Dodge the white parts

– Color Range if you want to select just (all) the White Parts, then you can level, curve, dodge, mask etc.. to add effect to the selected area(s).

– Or just using combination of "layers" and "masking" to glow the white parts of one layer then "blending", "masking" etc. to the original image.

I would suggest you to practice more on LAYER and MASKING then you will find out how powerful and flexible Photoshop really is. Also, when dealing with multiple images (layers, masks) you may find that BLENDING can be an important parts of masking to. IOW, you may have to learn some related commands (I am pretty good with layer and mask, but still have lot to learn about blending yet)
J
Joel
Jul 31, 2007
Joel wrote:

"Volus" wrote:

Hi

Volus

Do you have any sample so we can see what you are talking about? And depend on your level you may and may not be able to benefit from the command(s) I try to give you (it’s hard to give all small detail, or if you know Photoshop well enough then you should have no problem).

– Dodge the white parts

– Color Range if you want to select just (all) the White Parts, then you can level, curve, dodge, mask etc.. to add effect to the selected area(s).
– Or just using combination of "layers" and "masking" to glow the white parts of one layer then "blending", "masking" etc. to the original image.
I would suggest you to practice more on LAYER and MASKING then you will find out how powerful and flexible Photoshop really is. Also, when dealing with multiple images (layers, masks) you may find that BLENDING can be an important parts of masking to. IOW, you may have to learn some related commands (I am pretty good with layer and mask, but still have lot to learn about blending yet)

Oops! I forgot to mention "channel" and "multiple channels" as well as "multiple masks/layers"
V
Volus
Aug 1, 2007

Theres a link to one of photographers gallery – it can be seen on on some of the photos. http://www.pieknyslub.pl//?option=com_jyp&task=presentat ion&id=558

– Dodge the white parts

I think thad diffusion glow (as suggestet by BD) combined with layers, masking and blending will do. I hoped that it’d be easier.

Volus
J
Joel
Aug 1, 2007
"Volus" wrote:

Theres a link to one of photographers gallery – it can be seen on on some of the photos. http://www.pieknyslub.pl//?option=com_jyp&task=presentat ion&id=558

– Dodge the white parts

I think thad diffusion glow (as suggestet by BD) combined with layers, masking and blending will do. I hoped that it’d be easier.

Volus

I just looked at the sample above and it looks pretty similar to some free action(s) at Action Central site. I don’t remember the exact name but "midnight something"
J
John
Aug 1, 2007
On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 10:39:49 -0500, Joel wrote:

"Volus" wrote:

– Dodge the white parts

Volus

I just looked at the sample above and it looks pretty similar to some free action(s) at Action Central site. I don’t remember the exact name but "midnight something"

I think the action at Action Central
http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm that might be what he wants is Dave Beaman’s Ethereal Glow.

John
J
Joel
Aug 1, 2007
John wrote:

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 10:39:49 -0500, Joel wrote:

"Volus" wrote:

– Dodge the white parts

Volus

I think the action at Action Central
http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm that might be what he wants is Dave Beaman’s Ethereal Glow.

John

You are probably right, also the Midnight XXX and other GLOWs are pretty much similar to each other except the Color’s.
CD
Chris Deppe
Aug 3, 2007
Hi Volus (and all the others),

I’m not quite sure if it’ll do the same but give it a try (it’s the Hamilton effect aka hamiltonizing, etc.) …

make a "merge all visible – layer copy" and gaussian blur it with appr. 40px radius and set the layer blending mode to soft light and set the layer opacity according to your likings. That’s it!

Bye from Germany

Chris

"Volus" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Theres a link to one of photographers gallery – it can be seen on on some of the photos.
http://www.pieknyslub.pl//?option=com_jyp&task=presentat ion&id=558

[…]

Volus
V
Volus
Aug 6, 2007
make a "merge all visible – layer copy" and gaussian blur it with appr. 40px radius and set the layer blending mode to soft light and set the layer opacity according to your likings. That’s it!

I’ve tried that, and it does nothing, only set blending mode to lihten gives some effect, when I set it to soft light nothing happens.
I’m using PS CS 2. googling for hamiltonizing or hamilton effect didn’t helped.

but thanks
Volus
M
Matalog
Aug 6, 2007
Try again. Ctrl-j to copy layer (after flattening layers if there is more than one that you want to apply this efect to). Apply 40px gaussian blur to the new layer copy. Change blending mode of the new layer to soft light. Now, adjust the opacity of the original layer (as well as the other layer if you want), I find that this give the best effect. I also found that this can darken or add contrast to the whole new image, so sometimes if you adjust the brightness and contrast of the original layer can help.

Remember, if you are working with just a Background first of all, you should change it to a layer (so that it is more editable). You can do this by double clicking on it in the layers pallette.

Hope it works.

Matalog.

"Volus" wrote in message
make a "merge all visible – layer copy" and gaussian blur it with appr. 40px
radius and set the layer blending mode to soft light and set the layer opacity according to your likings. That’s it!

I’ve tried that, and it does nothing, only set blending mode to lihten gives some effect, when I set it to soft light nothing happens. I’m using PS CS 2. googling for hamiltonizing or hamilton effect didn’t helped.

but thanks
Volus

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections