PW
Posted By
Pat_Wojciehowski
Jan 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Lots of photos on the web now have rounded corners. I know how to use the rounded corner rectangle but how do I get the rounded corners on an existing picture?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Bernie
Jan 25, 2007
A vector layer mask containing a rounded rectangle should do it.
B
Bernie
Jan 25, 2007
I think you are saying that after you use the rounded corner rectangle you still have a background showing. Of course, if it is a white background against a white webpage, it looks like the corners are rounded, but if not, then the corner tip shapes still show.

It’s been a long time since I’ve looked into this, but if memory serves and things have not changed, you will only be able to create the effect you want by saving your file as a .gif and if you are showing it on the web on top of a color background, then you need to select ‘matte’ in the Save for Web dialog box and input the background color of your choice.

(If I am mistaken in this, corrections are welcomed – please.)

Paz
JH
Jesse_Harding
Jan 25, 2007
Masks work well (as Cybernetic Nomad said). Another method is to use the marquee tool to draw a square about 20 pixels in from the edges of the photo (make sure you are on the layer containing the photo). From the menu do Select>>Modify>>Smooth. 8-10 pixels usually looks about right. Click ok and the marquee will now have rounded edges. Do a quick ctrl+c ctrl+v and you’ll paste a photo with rounded edges on a new layer. You’ll have to hide the original photo to see the rounded edges on the new one.

Good luck!
ND
Nick_Darveniza
Jan 26, 2007
Here is how I’d do it:
First of all, select the whole photo (Ctrl+A) and cut it then paste it on a new layer and delete the background.
Make a rounded rectangle over the picture, rasterize it. Then marquee it, invert the selection. Click on the photo layer with the selection still, well, selected, and press delete. Then select rectangle layer and delete it. So the photo will have rounded corners on any background, save it as a PNG. Now it will have a transparent edge (and rounded corners) when viewed in IE7, Firefox, Flock and probably some others, but I don’t know. In order to make it the same in a IE6 browser you need to include this – <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/index.htm> – in your webpage.
Hope it helps! It’s easy once you get the hang of it!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections