Posted By
Stacey_Lewis
Jan 17, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello:

I’d like to sell my licensed version of CS2 to a friend (a non-professional user)but do I have to wait until CS3 is available for purchase before I do so? Will selling it invalidate my serial number or can both of us use the same serial number and then purchase CS3 when it’s available?

Thanks,
Stacey

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Jan 17, 2007
do you realize that you can’t use the serial you sell as an upgrade number once you sell it? you’ll need to buy a new full version license when cs3 comes out.

Will selling it invalidate my serial number or can both of us use the same serial number and then purchase CS3 when it’s available?

when legally selling your version of photoshop, you need to fill out and file a form with adobe called a ‘transfer of license’. this transfers that license to the person you’re selling to. they get all rights to the registration and support that the license contains and you no longer have any rights to that software. meaning you can no longer legally use that license on your system or for upgrades. all rights go to the person you’re selling to.
SL
Stacey_Lewis
Jan 17, 2007
Yes, I saw the transfer of license info on the customer service section, but it didn’t specifically answer my question.

So, if I wait for CS3 to come out, upgrade with my legal license number and then sell will that also mean I’ll make myself ineligible for any future upgrades having to buy a whole new software package?
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 17, 2007
will that also mean I’ll make myself ineligible for any future upgrades having to buy a whole new software package?

yes, also it’ll make your cs3 version illegal if you transfer the license used to upgrade to cs3. meaning it may (depending on how robust adobe’s activation setup is) deny you access to the app even after it’s been installed.

the answer to your question is, if you intend to keep using photoshop and do not want to buy another full version, don’t sell your current license.
DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 17, 2007
upgrade with my legal license number and then sell

No, you will have nothing to sell if you upgrade. You are licensed for one copy of the program. Upgrading just means that the license is now for the newer version. It is not a second license.

If you sell your old disks, and give away the serial numbers, then you are a pirate, although at a small scale. Plus you don’t know what will happen to that serial number, which might result in your losing the current license, if that number gets out on the Internet and Adboe cancel it for that reason.

Basically, forget about selling the program, unless you want to stop using it.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 17, 2007
forget about selling the program, unless you want to stop using it.

or unless you have (or obtain) a second full license. 🙂
SL
Stacey_Lewis
Jan 17, 2007
Thanks for all the info and, no, I will not be buying a second license 🙂 I wanted to help my friend because he’s a Pastor, but since there’s no way around the licensing agreement I’ll have to concede defeat.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jan 17, 2007
Stacey,

You might suggest your friend buy Photoshop Elements if he really needs to do some image editing but doesn’t want to pay the admission price to Photoshop. Priced in the $100-150 range, Photoshop Elements is much more affordable and provides many of the same capabilities of Photoshop.

Regards,

Daryl
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 17, 2007
I was just going to say what daryl said. not only is elements much cheaper than photoshop, you can often get it for free with a piece of hardware like a camera, scanner or wacom tablet. look around for deals!

failing that, you could do worse things with 100 bux than to donate the cost of ps elements (or the acutal package) to your church! 🙂

cheers, dave
SS
Shepardine_Small
Jan 22, 2007
I have removed Photshop elements 3.0 from one workstation and installed it on another. The registration box keeps popping up to register now or later. Since the product was already registered, how do I get rid of the dialogue box, or how do I transfer the registration from one person to another within the organization.
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 22, 2007
Please post in the Elements forum. You’ll get more help there.

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections