david_pullum
May 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

I have elements 2.0 and have been offered Adobe Photoshop 6.0

Is it worth the change from PSE2 to 6.0.

Is functionality that more advanced?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RR
Raymond Robillard
May 21, 2004
You’ll gain some, loose some.

Brush : you’ll loose several functionalities not found in PS6, since PSE2 brush engine is based on the PS7 engine.

You’ll loose a few layer blending modes, but you’ll gain a wealth of commands to control the layer styles.

You’ll loose the Web Gallery I think, and the slide show (I’m not sure, though, because it’s been a long time since I worked with PS6).

Overall, you’ll gain more tools (pen tool, layer style, path, channels, Image Ready for web images, more control over saving selections, etc.) and you’ll loose some (Quick Fix, Color Variations, File Browser). You’ll also be able to make your own custom shapes, actions (a.k.a. macro commands), save your own layer styles, etc.

One good thing to do before deciding would be to find a PS6 demo and install it. Sometimes, it can be found on book’s CD-ROM (Photoshop 6 books), or on the web.

It also comes down to how much time you’re ready to invest in learning PS6’s added functionnalities. If it took you a great deal of time to learn PSE2, then PS6’s added tools might be another giant step.

Peronsaly, it’s not easy for me to judge because I went from PSE2 to PS7, which shared the same core, and I gained more than I lost. And again, I was still PSE2 when I had PS7 (now on PSCS).

Ray
RM
Ron Minler
May 21, 2004
Just for info — the people on adobeforums.com cannot see any replies on the news reader. You have to post on the adobeforums.com site. Only the news reader people can see all postings.

You can register at http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html

Ron

"Raymond Robillard" wrote in message
You’ll gain some, loose some.

Brush : you’ll loose several functionalities not found in PS6, since PSE2
brush engine is based on the PS7 engine.
You’ll loose a few layer blending modes, but you’ll gain a wealth of
commands to control the layer styles.
You’ll loose the Web Gallery I think, and the slide show (I’m not sure,
though, because it’s been a long time since I worked with PS6).
Overall, you’ll gain more tools (pen tool, layer style, path, channels,
Image Ready for web images, more control over saving selections, etc.) and you’ll loose some (Quick Fix, Color Variations, File Browser). You’ll also be able to make your own custom shapes, actions (a.k.a. macro commands), save your own layer styles, etc.
One good thing to do before deciding would be to find a PS6 demo and
install it. Sometimes, it can be found on book’s CD-ROM (Photoshop 6 books), or on the web.
It also comes down to how much time you’re ready to invest in learning
PS6’s added functionnalities. If it took you a great deal of time to learn PSE2, then PS6’s added tools might be another giant step.
Peronsaly, it’s not easy for me to judge because I went from PSE2 to PS7,
which shared the same core, and I gained more than I lost. And again, I was still PSE2 when I had PS7 (now on PSCS).
Ray
JH
Jim_Hess
May 21, 2004
You pose an interesting question. I bought into Photoshop on version 4, upgraded to version 6, and now have Photoshop CS. Photoshop 6 is a very good version and will give you some functionality that you don’t have now. But Photoshop Elements was designed primarily for digital photographers, I believe, and the later versions of Photoshop seem to include more and more features that are targeted to that market, moreso than Photoshop 6. So I don’t know if you would really gain a lot that you would use. Is there some reason you have to give up Photoshop Elements to have Photoshop 6? You could use both.
BB
brent_bertram
May 21, 2004
You can always use both. If it weren’t for "convert to profile" and "assign profile", I’d probably never need the full Photoshop .

🙂

Brent
SS
Susan_S.
May 21, 2004
– And of course (assuming it’s a legitimate transfer of ownership) you will then be able to move onto CS at the upgrade price.
For me (and I’ve only been playing with CS for three days) the functions that are selling me on photoshop are:
-the package seller for me is the RAW conversion (but if your camera’s RAW files talk to Capture 1, then that might be a better option – mine don’t so I have so other effective RAW conversion option) – this is not in PS6
-As Brent says, transparent and controllable colour management – I think that came in with PS6 -the new shadow/highlight adjustment (CS only)
-brush engine (PS7 and up)
-styles and advanced blending modes – I uses styles a lot and i’ve been editing them in PS6 demo, switching back to Elements, applying, back to PS6 to adjust..having the full version pf PS makes this much easier. This came in in PS6.
-being able to do things that I curently use work arounds for, such as channel manipulation to create complicated selections much faster and more easily (PS6).
– one little publicised improvement over Elements in CS is the ability to edit and set up your own picture packages with a GUI rather than sweating to get a text layout right (I really would like to see that one in Elements3 -we get a lot of questios about that here)

(I haven’t investigated the things that I don’t know whether or not I need – like the pen tool, yet).
I guess it it depends a bit on what price you are paying for PS6 -If it’s free it’s a no-brainer because it gives you CS at the upgrade price If you are paying then you need to make sure that the price is such that the cost of PS6 plus the upgrade to CS is less than the best possible price you can get CS alone for – otherwise you are paying too much. And you need to check that it is either never previously registered, or has an official transfer of ownership form from Adobe, otherwise you won’t be able to upgrade.
Susan S.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 21, 2004
Ray, you went ahead with CS! I missed that. Still mulling over the decision here….

Chuck
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 21, 2004
Another useful improvement in CS is the new resampling options–bicubic smoother and bicubic sharper. Bicubic smoother is really good for upsampling–you can go in one jump instead of by 10% increments and get great results.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 22, 2004
Ray, you went ahead with CS! I missed that. Still mulling over the decision here….

Chuck

Well, when I switched to Mac, I had to move my PS7 Windows license to Mac. Adobe offered me two choices : minimum fees to send me a replacement disc for PS7 Mac, or the upgrade fee for a platform switch (avoiding the minimum fees of the other option), from PS7 Win to PS CS Mac. The bargain, sort of, was more than I expected, so I jumped on the offer!

However, since then, I haven’t really got the time to play with all the new functions. I still use CS as I did PS7. Once I’ll be home, in a few weeks, I’ll be able to fully explore the functions. I’m particularly looking forward to testing the colour adjustment between two pictures to make a decent panorama shot!

I did play with the filter gallery, it’s kinda fun..!

Ray
LK
Leen_Koper
May 22, 2004
This week I bought CS too. I still have to have it installed. My supplier will do this for me as the computer I work on isn’t connected to the internet, so I asked him to do this job for me. No problem as I spend thousands of euros on paper and inks. 😉

Nevertheless, I suppose I will keep on working in Elements mainly and slowly adapting CS into my workflow. I don’t have time left to start learning all this new stuff at once.

Leen
AB
Anthony_Booth
May 31, 2004
I have Photoshop Elements 2. Am I entitled to purchase the Photoshop CS edition?

Anthony
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 31, 2004
Anthony,

For that you’ll have to contact Adobe directly. Last time I check, the offer wasn’t very appealing.

Ray
SS
Susan_S.
May 31, 2004
As Ray says – answer is you are entitled to buy the full version at a very small discount. There have been some special offers involving a discount on the CS price for users of PE who had it bundled in with a particular scanner (can’t remember what brand as the offer wasn’t good outside North America). You can’t just go and buy the upgrade disc – that requires a full earlier version of PS to install.

Susan S
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 31, 2004
I think it was Mikrotek (Microtek, Microteck, something alike)…

Ray
JP
JoAnn_Paules
May 31, 2004
Anyone with $600+ is entitled to purchase it. If you mean as an upgrade for $170, alas, no.

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote in message
I have Photoshop Elements 2. Am I entitled to purchase the Photoshop CS
edition?
Anthony

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.692 / Virus Database: 453 – Release Date: 5/28/2004

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections