JS
Posted By
John_Stone
May 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I print images on letter-size paper using my HP 3420 printer, the image comes out all the way to the left of the page (1/2 inch to an inch), even though Photoshop Elements Print Preview shows it in the middle. Checking the Center Image box doesn’t help. Does anyone know of a better way to center the image, other than trial and error.

Thanks,

John

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MM
Mac_McDougald
May 13, 2004
Horizontal image?

If so, that’s your inkjet border on the bottom short side. Most inkjets have a larger unprintable area here, necessary for paper handling.

Mac
JS
John_Stone
May 13, 2004
What’s happening is that the inkjst is printing right to the edge of the photo paper on the left side (landscape mode) with a big margin on the right, even though the preview shows the image in the middle.
JH
Jean_Hearst
May 13, 2004
I have been using an old InDesign with an 890 Epson printer to print greeting cards. I now have InDesign CS and have a problem with margins. In the old version I went into PAGE SETUP and checked NO MARGINS which allowed me to get as close to the edge as I needed to to center the image. With the new software I cannot find a place to do this. Consequently my margin is always 1/2" and off center. What can be done/
BH
Beth_Haney
May 13, 2004
Those of you who are not able to center will probably have to resort to doing what I did and what several other users have done. We created a simple "dummy" document that could be printed on plain paper and experimented with margins until we were able to account for the no-print zone.

Create a new blank canvas that’s 8 X 10, or whatever size you want to have centered on letter sized paper. Set it up at any resolution you want, but with a transparent background. Once the new canvas is open on your desktop, select the entire thing using either Select>All or the keyboard shortcut of Command (Mac) Control (Win)>A so you have marching ants around the entire perimeter. Next go to Edit>Stroke. Set the Stroke at somewhere around 20 pixels, to be printed inside. Click OK. You now have a blank rectangle of the exact size of an image.

Open Print Preview and set the margins manually. On my HP, I have to have the left margin quite small (minus .25 sticks in my mind, but I don’t have my cheat sheet handy), and I also had to juggle the top margin. The manual with your printer should tell you the size of the no-print zone, so with a little math you can figure out what adjustments have to be made. It also helps to measure an image that’s off center and calculate what those margins should have been based on the amount it’s off. Run the sample through your printer, adjusting the margins until you’ve got a formula that makes it come out perfectly centered. Make a note of the numbers and manually set the margins whenever you want to be sure something is properly centered. A pain, yes, but it takes almost as long to explain as it does to do, and you only have to fuss around with it once.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 13, 2004
Reread my first post.
This is normal.
Most inkets have a large unprintable area on bottom of page (which happens to be on the "right" in landscape mode. My HP 895, for example has, on 8.5 x 11, has unprintable areas (borders) of (in portrait/vertical mode):
left and right: .25"
top: .04"
bottom: .46"

So that "bottom" would be "right" in landscape mode, adding an extra 1/2 inch "border".

No way around it except to shift the pic on page.

Mac

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections