BP
Posted By
Brian_Peart
Apr 23, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Loaded PS CS3 Extended edition at the weekend, no problem. Came to print some existing images today and discovered that the printing is distorted when printing to my Konica Minolta Magicolor 5430DL colour A4 laser printer. No distortion when printing to my Brother HL-5250DN B/W laser. Both printers connected via Ethernet. If I print the same image in CS2, it works perfectly. The image is squashed top and bottom, or stretched left and right looks the same.

If the image prints in CS2 then presumably the printer driver is okay, could this be a CS3 problem?

Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.

System is Win XP SP2, 3GB ram, plenty of hard disk space, 2nd disk for scratch files etc, runs perfectly, just got this problem…

Thanks – Brian

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TA
tom_attix
May 1, 2007
Do you have the latest drivers installed for both printers?
BY
barry_young
May 1, 2007
Is there an option in the Konica printer dialog to set the output to a square resolution? (ex. 300 x 300)?. If there is give that a try. It could be a non square resolution issue that we are looking into.
BP
Brian_Peart
May 9, 2007
Yes, latest drivers are installed. Just been onto the Konica Minolta website to check.

There is no option in the driver to set a square resolution.

Any one else having this problem, or is it only me? If only me, probably a driver issue or something local. If other are getting this problem, could be a bigger problem
GY
gregory_young
May 9, 2007
No, you are not the only one.

Having the very same problem with an Epson C1100 Laser Printer. Driver set to 600 dpi => distorted
Driver set to 300 dpi => no distortion
Newest Drivers installed.

Worked perfectly with CS2.
Sadly the output quality in 300 dpi is inacceptable.
Looks like the print system in CS3 has some major issues. Hope they can fix that soon.
SV
Suzanne_Vollmer
May 9, 2007
I’m having the same problem on the 2400w. I can print fine to 600×600 but not 1200×600 or 2400×600 in CS3. It’s fine in CS2.

Suzanne
BP
Brian_Peart
May 9, 2007
This seems to be a big problem and we are not alone with it. There is another thread called "CS3 has a major bug or programmng issue", so I suggest we go there to discuss this problem. There is more information on that thread.

What I would like to know is how to communicate directly to Adobe so that I can tell them about the fault…
FN
Fred_Nirque
May 9, 2007
Adobe people do read these forums, Brian. No doubt this has made it to the coal face.

In the past problems have been acknowledged and remedies worked out, however in the past problems have also been ignored, denied or plain dismissed as user error or explained away as "this is what it’s meant to be", so let’s hope this is not one of those times.

There seems to be a consensus amongst users that whatever was done to "improve" printing in CS3 has had the complete opposite effect for Windows users. CS2 is far superior in that regard, and Mac users do not appear to have been saddled with the same problems.

Adobe seems to have lost sight of the age old truism "if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it". Whilst a bit complicated to come to terms with initially, printing in CS2 is very, very good.
WE
Wolf_Eilers
May 10, 2007
Refer to this link to officially report a bug or feature request. I cannot confirm the printing anomalies in CS3 — not yet having the latest version — but I sure do want Adobe to get as much information as possible.

<http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform>
BP
Brian_Peart
May 10, 2007
Wolf – thank you for the link. I will report this to Adobe, although I’m sure they know about it by now. I think everyone who has this problem should report it to Adobe too, if we don’t bother to report it, nothing will get done.

And Fred I agree completely, printing from CS2 worked perfectly, so why was it changed? I actually preferred the number of separate options under File|Print in CS2 to the single one-size-fits-all Print option in CS3. IMHO there seems no need to change what is a perfectly good system that works perfectly.

This is really a huge blunder. Can you imagine releasing the best image editing software, only to find it doesn’t print properly?! Its like buying a new (expensive) engine for your car, only to find that when you get to the destination, you can’t get out of the doors!! Its jaw-dropping to find that such a basic and vital function doesn’t work properly.

Lets hope a fix is released very soon.
FN
Fred_Nirque
May 10, 2007
The disturbing thing is that they appear to think that it does work properly.
T
TLL
May 10, 2007
I’ll report it too. I’m having the same issues and am freaked about what’s gonna happen at work with many different output devices…

See:
<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc3c894/24>

TLL
BP
Brian_Peart
May 10, 2007
I reported this to Adobe this morning, via the online form, and I spoke to a technical support person in Holland too. He was very helpful I must say, took all the details and promised to get back to me in 24 hours. Its gone to a "level 2" category, which I think means it goes before a programmer to have a look at. Apparently the report was news to Adobe, they didn’t know about it, which goes to show you have to report these things. I’ll let you know what transpires.

In the meantime I have experimented with printing at different resolutions, and can confirm that different resolutions (set in the print driver dialogue) change the amount of distortion. It actually prints okay at 600x600dpi, but I print at 1200×600 and occasionally at 1200x600dpi which is even worse. The print dialogue box will show the distortion you get, although it doesn’t show how the image will be printed half off the page!
CJ
C_Joyce
May 11, 2007
Add me to the list. Minolta 2300dl. Extremely distorted. This is repeatable. I have tried from both laptop and desktop. I also started a thread but no real response. I called support and was told to get a refund.

grrrr….

cue Enya, "Only If……"

Chris
BP
Brian_Peart
May 12, 2007
Adobe tell me that the problem is down to trying to print "non-square pixels" and they are working on it. If you have the option in your printer driver to set square pixels ie 600x600dpi etc, then it will print correctly, other non-square resolutions ie 1200x600dpi will distort.

This means in my particular case, that I can print from CS3, but only at a lower quality setting than I am used to, and at a lower quality than I require.

The preview in the Print dialogue box does show you what will happen if you change the printer resolution.

Lets hope its not too long before they bring out a fix…
FN
Fred_Nirque
May 12, 2007
Oh man, they’re kidding, right?

Even after trialling a public beta of CS3, they release a final version that is flawed where its predecessor (CS2) was not?

Ye gods………..
RP
Rick_Popham
May 13, 2007
Well… Ya know… All those applications have to be released at the same time, or there won’t be any Creative Suites to sell.

Rick
FN
Fred_Nirque
May 13, 2007
But why on earth did they mess with the printing in the first place?

I can really use some of CS3’s new features, but this printing mess renders any benefit useless.

Damn, but I hope they fix this, however I’m not holding my breath.
CJ
C_Joyce
May 14, 2007
Well, for me, I CAN print to my epson for photos. But I am leaning more to Lightroom even for that. But, for our DVD inserts, 600×600 is soooooo yesterdaaaay! I am little bit curiously surprised that with all the beta testers (I was one but bailed due to crashes) that something sooooo elementary was overlooked. ‘sigh’
Chris

cue Beatles Yellow Submarine "We All Live In A Yellow……"
FN
Fred_Nirque
May 14, 2007
I can print to all three of my Epsons. The problem for me is this nonsensical return to default printer and settings at every new print job in a session, or even when sending the same image to the same printer a second time during the same print session.
P
povimage
May 17, 2007
Well… Ya know… All those applications have to be released at the same time, or there won’t be any Creative Suites to sell.

I know you were being partly tongue-in-cheek, but…

…in reality, the CS3 Master Edition isn’t ready to go, because not all the programs in that version are ready yet..

Keith
BP
Brian_Peart
May 18, 2007
What a Complete Pain in the Arse this is! Just making simple laser prints from some straight photos is now such a complicated business, its awful!

I had 6 images open and needed to make 1 laser print off each, one straight, one flipped Horizontally – its a nightmare. You have to go through the entire print dialogue everytime, selecting the printer, resetting orientation, resolution etc etc. Ughh!
FN
Fred_Nirque
May 18, 2007
But it’s the "correct" way, Brian……. :-~
I
ID._Awe
May 18, 2007
Ummm post #2:

Barry Young is the Photoshop QE Manager.
JB
Jeff_B_Adams
May 19, 2007
Same exact problem on my minotla 2400w any resolutions? CS2 works fine, Jeffrey
GP
Gary_Pellecchia
May 19, 2007
Same problem on my Espon Stylus Pro 4800 with the SubliJet PowerDriver XG printer driver. If you select high-speed instead of high-quality in the driver window then it prints OK, otherwise it’s stretched and squashed (i.e. a waste of incredibly expensive dye-sub ink).
PL
Phil_Loehnjren
Jul 10, 2007
Not to hijack the post here, but Gary… I recently sold my Epson 4800 and still have a full ink set of unopened SubliJet XG inks. Would you be interested? email me at
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jul 10, 2007
Gary, Adobe insist that these sorts of problems are the result of bugs in the manufacturers’ drivers.

The fact that these drivers worked perfectly with previous versions of Photoshop has been explained away as CS3 exposing bugs in the drivers,and not that CS3 was inadequately tested with all drivers beforehand.

Faced with this logic, don’t hold your breath for a solution any time soon, if ever.
S
Stacy817
Dec 17, 2007
I have experienced the same problem too, Printer is a Konica Minolta Magicolor 2300W. I know this discussion is a little older, but if there is any solutions now or ever please let me know. Right now as long as the picture is smaller than an 8 by 10 I place it into Indesign and it prints okay that way. I thought maybe it was my printer and I know that there will probably not be any updates that I can use because I have Vista Operating System and the driver for my printer is just compatible with the OS since it is an older printer.

Stacy
T
TLL
Dec 17, 2007
Download the 10.01 PS SC3 update – it fixed my Konica Minolta color laser issues (on XP Pro)…
JJ
John_Joslin
Dec 17, 2007
Maybe, but it didn’t fix everything.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Dec 17, 2007
Faced with the dilemma of printing working just fine with CS2 and all three of my Epson printers with their current drivers, along comes CS3 10.0.1 update to fix the "not broken" CS3 printing with an instruction to uninstall all printers first (presumably to trash whatever garbage CS3 Mk1 has dumped into them). The program which couldn’t remember which printer or settings it was using with the previous print apparently could remember how to incorrectly display previews.

Sure enough after the update any Epson print monitor preview displays the file that CS3 10.0.1 has sent to it as cropped and hanging off the page.

So do I take the chance at screwing up the printing program that does work (CS2) by uninstalling the printers in an attempt to get the program that never worked (CS3) running even though others report that it’s still not fixed properly?

I think not. What a half-baked "fix" this is.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 18, 2007
Fred, why not just create a new printer instance with a different name and see if that works before deleting the old ones?
GG
Gordon_Greaves
Dec 18, 2007
The 10.0.1 fix has done nothing for my problem of PSCS3 calling up the wrong print dialogue box if I change printers. Deleting the printers and reinstalling is a ridiculous idea. It’s okay if you’re a home user, I guess, but I work in a print/copy shop and have 18 different printers installed on my system. Does this mean that I have to reinstall every one of them? Who is paying for my time to do this, and also for the other system that runs PSCS3 here to have it done? Considering the outrageous prices Adobe charges, surely they can get something this simple fixed with a patch! And prior to CS3, it wasn’t even broken…
JJ
John_Joslin
Dec 18, 2007
I think the more people that inform Adobe via John Nack the better!

<http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/11/details_on_prin.html>
T
TLL
Dec 18, 2007
I still get the the same thing with dialogs being off as Gordon – here at work, with the fix. I never said it took care of everything. It did make my K M 2430 work fine at home – just in time for Christmas card production. CS4 in ’08? :/
GG
Gordon_Greaves
Dec 18, 2007
Hi John,

I put it on John Nack’s blog on December 5, never got an acknowledgement of the existence of the post, let alone the problem. In fact my post above is a copy/paste of my post on his blog.

This is getting serially stupid. What is it with Adobe? They take something that isn’t broken, break it substantially and then ignore user complaints detailing exactly what’s wrong. Is there any other way of getting intelligent technical support other than forums? I think I’ll try ringing Adobe Australia and waste some money on a phone call. If I manage to get through to a human being I’ll start demanding answers, not asking for them.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections