GD
Posted By
Grant_Dixon
May 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am not sure I want to show these but I said I would. here it is one day from sunup to sundown.

http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Algonquin/index.html

g

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CR
Chris_Rankin
May 12, 2004
I don’t have the knowledge or experiance to comment on the technical aspects of your images, all I know is they look good to me. I’d go ahead and keep the "hateful digicam" if it was me.

CR
J
jhjl1
May 12, 2004
It looks as if your "hateful" camera performed well for you. I started to list my favorites but it’s easier to say all but a few were my favorites. I especially liked some of the shots with reflections in them. It looked like a nice relaxed trip with a lot of "lilly-dipping" going on.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
I am not sure I want to show these but I said I would.
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 12, 2004
wow, Great ! if that is ‘hateful’…then I’m on the wrong planet or something. ..But yes, it’s all you…and the camera served ‘you’ well.
DS
Dick_Smith
May 12, 2004
Er, um, ah……Grant, if that D70 becomes too much of a burden on you, I’ll give it a good home!

The peace and beauty of where you were is just amazing. I was taken aback by the reflectivity shots.

And I chuckled at what most certainly must be "deer" apples!

Dick
BE
Bob_E._Warren
May 12, 2004
Beautiful shots, Grant. Were you early enough that the mosquitos and black flies were absent? Bob Warren
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 12, 2004
The camera performed reasonably well so I may soon have to down grade it from its present rating of hateful. Photographic mistakes I made on this trip were both because of my shortcoming and because of not being fully use to the camera. The camera did what it was suppose to.

For Bob: Yes there were both mosquitoes and black flies but not so many as to cause us the least bit of discomfort. At this time of year their population is governed by the temperature, so three days out of four being cool was a bonus.

For Jim: Well we did a total of 12 km walking and 2/3 of that was with 60 – 80 pound packs on our backs. Then we paddled for over 14 hours and almost half of that was against head winds. After all that lily dipping the hard part began … taking photographs!

For Ray: This might come as a shock but I too am terrified of the water and while I can swim enough to save my life the water was around 0°c so there would have been no way to save us if we went turtle. I just grit my teeth shut my eyes and pray that I will get through it, as the joy is greater than the fear.

Grant
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 12, 2004
Grant,

You’ve demonstrated conclusive proof that, though equipment plays a role, it’s the eye of the artist that makes the difference. You could probably carry an Instamatic and do almost as well.

Ah, the Loons!

Bob
J
jhjl1
May 12, 2004
"Lilly Dipping" and head winds don’t seem to go together. When whitewater rafting if one is accused of lilly dipping we usually vote on it with a quick nod of the head followed by a short tussle where the accused is tossed overboard (with helmet and life jacket) and left to float the river with their head and feet in the air and their backside scraping the boulders. The accused usually learns to paddle or they quit rafting. Either way the desired outcome is achieved.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message > For Jim: Well we did a
total > half of that was against head winds. After all that lily dipping
PA
Patti_Anderson
May 12, 2004
Beautiful photos, Grant. I especially like the yellow fawn lilies (I think that’s what they’re called) and pitcher plants. The tree reflections on the water give me a peaceful feeling and I’m sure it’s even more so when you are there.

Patti
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 12, 2004
Grant, those are very nice!
Is it gonna be a love-hate relationship ? 😉
I’d say keep the cam, it’ll grow on you (sooner than later!)

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
May 12, 2004
Hi Grant, Hey, don’t worry about the camera, what *ever* camera you use, you will get FANTASTIC pictures.
And these are indeed wonderful.

But the thing that strikes me as really interesting, as you have No Wind! We live in a windy area and the lack of wind is a phenomena that we don’t see too often. And when we do, we hop on our bicycles, or into our boats with our cameras, grab some food and a few beers and water for the dog and away we go. But it has to be really early in the day.
Thank you for posting these great photos, inspiration!
Jane
CC
cal_cowen
May 13, 2004
Grant, lovely pictures, I can feel the serenity. Glad you are downgrading from hateful.

Cal
LM
Lou_M
May 13, 2004
Grant,

Looks like it was too peaceful an experience to even think of the word ‘hateful’ while you were on that trip.

No electricity, no gas engines, ah . . . peace!

You did shut off your electronic shutter click, didn’t you? Don’t want to disturb the natives! 😉

Lou.
LK
Leen_Koper
May 13, 2004
Grant, after seeing these images I cannot understand your objections against this camera. If one can use AF to capture a flying duck, shooting a reflective water surface, stirred by a paddle, there is nothing to complain about.
I don’t know wether you did a lot of tweaking afterwards, but apparently its automatic exposure did well under sometimes pretty difficult circumstances.

Of course, a Canon or Fuji dSLR would probably have done a better job. 😉

Leen
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 14, 2004
Ah Leen you assumed that I didn’t over ride things like autofocus, and exposure readings. You can’t rely on neutral grey when you want to maintain the feeling of early morning or late evening. The truth is the camera worked very well. While my hits were not as high as my F5 I am well aware that it performed admirably for a camera that has yet to have 200 shots on it. The only thing I have to get use to is that the images do appear slightly soft compared to a well exposed 35 mm.

Now there was a hidden treat in the lot especially for you http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Algonquin/Algonquin_040507_ C5.html "Dicentra cucullaria" its common name is Dutchman’s Britches. The flower is no more than 1/2" and it is very rare where I live. I spotted this on a portage. I put my pack down got on my belly and used the spotmeter in the camera and adjusted a f-stop and snapped one for Leen. I got up and in my haste, much to my shock, I had prostrated myself in fresh Moose shit. What a boy won’t do for his art. True story!

Oh yes the bird is not a duck but a loon a very primeval bird with a haunting cry that is the hallmark of the north.
http://www.wildlifevideo.com/loon.html of the four sound clips the "Whale" is the one that marries you to the north.

g.
J
jhjl1
May 14, 2004
I think you will find that is a common trait among all of the DSLR’s especially if you are shooting RAW files. You can always shoot JPEG’s and boost the sharpness but you know you won’t be happy with that. I’m glad you had such a positive first experience with the new cam.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
The only thing I have to get use to is that the images do appear
slightly soft compared to a well exposed 35 mm.
B
bethC
May 14, 2004
Grant, enjoyed viewing your wonderful photos. Truly an inspiration and naturally I have a favourite. 🙂 040507_d1 that is an awesome photo !

Thanks for sharing.

beth
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
May 14, 2004
Moose poop! 🙂 Then I’m sure you stood up and said "I – AM – CANADIAN!" (For all you non-canucks, this ‘chant’ is from a Canadian beer commercial.)

Oh, yes. Great pics, Grant.
LK
Leen_Koper
May 14, 2004
Grant,

I almost wetted my pants about the story behind your "Dutch breeches". 😉

However, the translated Dutch name for this plant seems to be "broken hearts", an a little more romantic name. The red variety is called "bleeding hearts".

Today I had to cover a wedding at a wonderful location, wooodland covered with cow parsley (Anthriscus sylvestris), just like a landscape in a brides veil, and I needed a shot from a low perspective. Just like you, I laid down and discovered, after getting up on my feet again, I escaped some dog foul by only a few inches right behind my head.

Great minds act alike. 😉

Leen
PA
Patti_Anderson
May 14, 2004
…I laid down and discovered, after getting up on my feet again, I escaped some dog foul by only a few inches right behind my head.

Gee guys, I do hope this isn’t the secret to taking great photos.

🙂 Patti
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 14, 2004
Leen

We Doo suffer for our art!

Grant
LK
Leen_Koper
May 14, 2004
I’m glad it isnot. 😉

Tonight I have been "photoshopping" some these images for a few hours and it turned out to be one of the best series of wedding shots I ever made.
Pretty traditional pictorial images (the way it is usually done in the USA), but with contemporary accents in the posing and composition.
Today I am really proud of what I have produced. Unfortunately satisfaction fades away within a few days. ;-(

Leen
DS
Dick_Smith
May 15, 2004
Leen,

Perhaps that fading is not such a bad thing. If we were truly satisfied with what we have done, we would not have any incentive to do more and to do differently.

I think we should always be happy that we’ve produced good "stuff" but not become stagnant because of it. Your next wedding will undoubtedly take what you learned from this one and be better for it.

Dick
LK
Leen_Koper
May 15, 2004
Dick, you are absolutely right!
It struck me, that since I worked hard to get qualified for my European qualification my imaging has improved again quite considerably. That is the real value of qualifying. I don’t care about those extra letters behind my name, but it makes tou reconsider the way you work and pushes you to your present limits.

Leen Koper ABIPP ARPS QEP 😉

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections