D
Posted By
Duca
Oct 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
So, I have a large, pretty EPS file. I change my resolution to 72 dpi, and crop to the size I need for web. I place it in as 72 dpi, and it looks awful. What am I doing wrong?

Another question: I am running Photoshop CS3. Why now, with CS3, when I save a JPEG, at, say, 150 dpi, and send it to a PC based client, client can’t see it or open it? I have to do "Save for Web", but then it gives me only 72 dpi option? What’s the answer? I want to send a 150 dpi JPEG, and a PC person to see it in their email?

Thanks!!!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 10, 2008
The web does not care about resolution. Where are people getting the silly notion about 72 ppi images for the web? Size your images based on pixels, not ppi/dpi.

Your best option, if the image is destined for a web page, is to use the Save for Web function.
JM
Jonas_M._Rogne
Oct 15, 2008
You are making images for screen/web. Use Save for Web.

Also, make sure your file is RGB (preferrably sRGB) as CMYK is not a part of the JPG standard and is not supported in most applications outside the Adobe package (like web browsers, e-mail clients, word, etc.).

Under image size you have to look at the size in pixels. If the "ppi" setting is set to 1 or 999 it will still be the same physical pixel size on web (ppi only tells your printer how large to print it, nothing else).

Tip: Stop using EPS for raster images (unless you are still using an old version of Quark). It’s not good. Use PSD, TIF or JPG for almost all needs.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 15, 2008
Stop using EPS for raster images (unless you are still using an old version of Quark). It’s not good. Use PSD, TIF or JPG for almost all needs.

… or Photoshop PDFs.
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 15, 2008
ppi only tells your printer how large to print it, nothing else

It tells other people’s printers how large to print too.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 15, 2008
The "72 ppi" idea for Web images is so that you can have a rough idea how large the image will appear on screen at 100% size — and it works perfectly if your monitor displays at precisely that resolution. But monitor resolutions vary. And most monitors today seem to pack more pixels per inch than that at their optimum resolutions. And if the image is somehow scaled (via HTML, or window or screen magnification), all bets are off.

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections