V
Posted By
viz
Mar 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Got me a little camera that takes startlingly good prints, all at 180 dpi. I print it out directly (no resampling no nothing, except a resize to fit A4…)

Set printer to Best Photo and hey presto picture comes out and I cannot see any pixels, grains or nothing.

Got me confused this whole resolution biznez…

What pixels/inch should I be using for the R800? I have been using 250 ppi for print shop work (posters 20" x 32"), but for A4 stuff???

/viz

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GC
Graeme Cogger
Mar 8, 2005
In article <BE53C828.6F42%viz@*nospam*.pacific.net.au>, viz@*nospam*.pacific.net.au says…
Got me a little camera that takes startlingly good prints, all at 180 dpi. I print it out directly (no resampling no nothing, except a resize to fit A4…)

Set printer to Best Photo and hey presto picture comes out and I cannot see any pixels, grains or nothing.

What pixels/inch should I be using for the R800? I have been using 250 ppi for print shop work (posters 20" x 32"), but for A4 stuff???
/viz
Don’t worry about it 🙂 To say your camera takes pictures at 180dpi (actually should be ppi!) is pretty meaningless – it actually takes pictures of a certain pixel size (e.g. 2400×1600 pixels). The number it puts in the dpi field is irrelevant – it could call it 1 dpi or 1000000 dpi and the image would be the same. Life would be much easier if images didn’t have this ‘tag’ associated with them…

When you print, the ppi is easy to work out. Say you print the image at 12" x 8" (roughly A4). You’ve got (say) 2400 pixels in 12", so that’s 200 pixels per inch (ppi). Easy, isn’t it 🙂
R
RSD99
Mar 8, 2005
With the Epson, multiples of 360 dpi seem to work best. In other words

180 dpi
360 dpi
720 dpi

would be good choices.

"viz" <viz@*nospam*.pacific.net.au> wrote in message news:BE53C828.6F42%viz@*nospam*.pacific.net.au…
Got me a little camera that takes startlingly good prints, all at 180
dpi. I
print it out directly (no resampling no nothing, except a resize to fit A4…)

Set printer to Best Photo and hey presto picture comes out and I cannot
see
any pixels, grains or nothing.

What pixels/inch should I be using for the R800? I have been using 250
ppi
for print shop work (posters 20" x 32"), but for A4 stuff???
/viz
N
nomail
Mar 8, 2005
viz <viz@*nospam*.pacific.net.au> wrote:

Because you are using "Resize to fit A4" in the print dialog, any ppi value you set will be overruled by the resizing anyway. Don’t bother. It looks good, doesn’t it?

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
V
viz
Mar 9, 2005
On 9/3/05 2:39 AM, in article , "Graeme
Cogger" wrote:

In article <BE53C828.6F42%viz@*nospam*.pacific.net.au>, viz@*nospam*.pacific.net.au says…

/viz
Don’t worry about it 🙂 To say your camera takes pictures at 180dpi (actually should be ppi!) is pretty meaningless – it actually takes pictures of a certain pixel size (e.g. 2400×1600 pixels). The number it puts in the dpi field is irrelevant – it could call it 1 dpi or 1000000 dpi and the image would be the same. Life would be much easier if images didn’t have this ‘tag’ associated with them…

When you print, the ppi is easy to work out. Say you print the image at 12" x 8" (roughly A4). You’ve got (say) 2400 pixels in 12", so that’s 200 pixels per inch (ppi). Easy, isn’t it 🙂

I think I have to agree. One person gave me a good analogy – cup of rice in a pan. You can cover the whole pan with rice and have nothing left over; all the rice is nice and neat in one layer and you cannot see the bottom of the pan.

Or you can get a smaller pan and the same amount of rice which is now several layers deep, and really does not need to be…

/viz
V
viz
Mar 9, 2005
On 9/3/05 4:13 AM, in article 1gt4aj2.tegcod1iuhfswN%,
"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote:

Because you are using "Resize to fit A4" in the print dialog, any ppi value you set will be overruled by the resizing anyway. Don’t bother. It looks good, doesn’t it?

Ahhhh…!

You’re right – don’t worry…

/viz
M
MOP
Mar 10, 2005
"viz" <viz@*nospam*.pacific.net.au> wrote in message news:BE549CA9.6F9E%viz@*nospam*.pacific.net.au…
On 9/3/05 4:13 AM, in article
1gt4aj2.tegcod1iuhfswN%,

Got me a little camera that takes startlingly good prints, all at 180 dpi. I
print it out directly (no resampling no nothing, except a resize to fit A4…)

Set printer to Best Photo and hey presto picture comes out and I cannot see
any pixels, grains or nothing.

What pixels/inch should I be using for the R800? I have been using 250 ppi
for print shop work (posters 20" x 32"), but for A4 stuff???

Ahhhh…!

You’re right – don’t worry…
Set your printer to what ever is suggested for the paper probably something like 720 or 1440DPI
but set your print resolution to 300PPI maybe less if it’s a big print and you don’t have the memory
There was quite a long thread a little while back on this very subject MOP
N
nomail
Mar 11, 2005
MOP wrote:

Set your printer to what ever is suggested for the paper probably something like 720 or 1440DPI
but set your print resolution to 300PPI maybe less if it’s a big print and you don’t have the memory

Let me repeat my earlier post: If you use "Fit image to A4" it doesn’t matter what you set as image resolution. Photoshop will overrule this setting (if needed) to fit the image to A4 size.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
M
MOP
Mar 11, 2005
"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
MOP wrote:

Set your printer to what ever is suggested for the paper probably something
like 720 or 1440DPI
but set your print resolution to 300PPI maybe less if it’s a big print and
you don’t have the memory

Let me repeat my earlier post: If you use "Fit image to A4" it doesn’t matter what you set as image resolution. Photoshop will overrule this setting (if needed) to fit the image to A4 size.

Did I contradict you? However most PhotoShop users would not consider using fit to paper size.
P
PH
Mar 11, 2005
MOP wrote:

Johan W. Elzenga

LOL

Maybe you should spend some time Johan and make a few web pages on this. It is a returning subject………..size
versus pixels and the whole DPI-PPI-inch confusement.
Then again there are many already out there.

Peter
N
nomail
Mar 12, 2005
MOP wrote:

Did I contradict you?

Indirectly, yes. I just explained the OP not to worry about ppi settings because she uses "Fit to A4" and you tell her to set ppi to 300 ppi. That contradicts what I just said, don’t you agree?

However most PhotoShop users would not consider using
fit to paper size.

The OP does and I tend to direct my answers to the person who asked the question. Besides, I have no idea what ‘most Photoshop users would consider using’ and quite frankly I think neither have you.

M
MOP
Mar 12, 2005
Did I contradict you?

Indirectly, yes. I just explained the OP not to worry about ppi settings because she uses "Fit to A4" and you tell her to set ppi to 300 ppi. That contradicts what I just said, don’t you agree?

fit to paper size.

The OP does and I tend to direct my answers to the person who asked the question. Besides, I have no idea what ‘most Photoshop users would consider using’ and quite frankly I think neither have you.
Get a life! I don’t know why you are getting so up tight about this! I made a perfectly valid posting, and you jumped down my throat I really think you need to get way from you computer some time, and talk to real people!
N
nomail
Mar 12, 2005
MOP wrote:

Did I contradict you?

fit to paper size.

Get a life! I don’t know why you are getting so up tight about this! I made a perfectly valid posting, and you jumped down my throat I really think you need to get way from you computer some time, and talk to real people!

Wow. And you claim that *I* am the one who is getting up tight?… 😉

You asked me a question and I gave you my honest opinion, that’s all there is to it. If you can’t stand the heat…

End of story.

H
Hecate
Mar 12, 2005
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:46:13 +0100, PH wrote:

LOL

Maybe you should spend some time Johan and make a few web pages on this. It is a returning subject………..size

I thought men had already agreed that size doesn’t matter…. 😉

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
P
PH
Mar 12, 2005
Hecate wrote:

LOL

Hecate

We did!!! Well in Holland we did…….we are just debating the pixels, should it be 800 or 2400. And then there is this woman who wants to have a say……….grrrrrrr drives me crazy! —
Peter
V
viz
Mar 17, 2005
On 13/3/05 9:16 AM, in article ,
"Hecate" wrote:

LOL

Heh heh the men might have, but women might say otherwise… 😉

/viz

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections