L
Posted By
lexouburg
Oct 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a strange Photoshop issue. I have a file in 300dpi. When I save it as a gif or jpeg and then open that file, suddenly the file is in 72dpi. How come and how to get it in 300dpi?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TT
Tom Thomas
Oct 1, 2004
(Lex) wrote:

I have a strange Photoshop issue. I have a file in 300dpi. When I save it as a gif or jpeg and then open that file, suddenly the file is in 72dpi. How come and how to get it in 300dpi?

The dpi setting of an image is only applicable to printing. GIF files are not intended for print and the file format does not support a dpi setting.

JPG files are also not intended for print; however they will retain a dpi setting if you save them using the FILE>SAVE AS option. If you create your JPG using "Save for Web" then the dpi information will be discarded because "Save for Web" means just that — save it for display on the web, not for print.
——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
N
nomail
Oct 1, 2004
Lex wrote:

Do you use "Save for web"? If you use "Save as" that shouldn’t happen.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
T
tacitr
Oct 1, 2004

All GIF files are always 72 pixels per inch. (Note: Forget the misleading and incorrect language scanner makers make; your images are measured in "pixels per inch," not "dots per inch.") The GIF standard does not permit saving a GIF image with any other resolution.

Your JPEGs are probably 72 pixels per inch because you are using Save for Web, which removes resolution information.

The question is, why is it a problem? If you are saving an image for the Web, the resolution makes no difference and is ignored. Only the *total number of pixels* matters. On the Web, a 320×200-pixel image at 72 pixels per inch is identical to a 320×200-pixel image at 300 pixels per inch, which is identical to a 320×200-pixel image at 6,000,000 pixels per inch.

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
X
Xalinai
Oct 2, 2004
Tacit wrote:

All GIF files are always 72 pixels per inch. (Note: Forget the misleading and incorrect language scanner makers make; your images are measured in "pixels per inch," not "dots per inch.") The GIF standard does not permit saving a GIF image with any other resolution.

I’m sorry to say that but you’re writing nonsense here.

GIF do not have any DPI information and PS simply shows a default value.

Your JPEGs are probably 72 pixels per inch because you are using Save for Web, which removes resolution information.

Result as above: PS shows default DPI value instead of saying "there is no value set for this image".

Michael

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections