Posted By
colinbannon
Sep 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
The nearest topic I saw to this in the forum was "Photoshop hanging", but it didn’t answer my question and your guys are technical, so I apologise for my basic knowledge.
I bought Creative Suite 3 less than a year ago, so I guess I am still guarenteed for technical support over the phone? I live in UK and didn’t see a free phone no. for us.
So I’ll bother u guys in the meantime if ok – My photoshop just doesn’t boot up. It was working fine as was all my products on CS3, then suddenly doesn’t work. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling.
My mac is a G4 and I added extra memory when I first bought CS3. Regards,
Colin

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NT
Nini Tj
Sep 24, 2008
Try the usual:
– delete preferences
– check your fonts for damage
– check and repair permissions
– check that you have enough free space on your harddisk

In most cases it is unnecessary to reinstall (and you might run out of installations doing that often). If you insist on doing that anyway you need to first de-install properly with the de-installer, not only throw it in the bin. How did you un-install?
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Sep 24, 2008
When you reinstall it sometimes does not matter if:

You do not trash the preferences or reset them.

You have a bad font causing the problem or a bad font data base that has been left behind.

Your user account is corrupt.

Your scratch disk cane be full as well in which case you have to move things around to free some space or use another hard drive as your scratch.

First did you trash t`he preferences? If not do so first quitting Photoshop.

Repair the Permissions with disk utility in the Applications/Utilities folder.
C
colinbannon
Oct 4, 2008
Thank you both for your recommendations. I tried the check & repair permissions, but still no joy.

Don’t think I deleted preferences or did anything with fonts. Unsure how I un-installed too as it was a few months ago.

I should have enough memory as I bought and installed extra.

Can you elaborate on:

"Your scratch disk cane be full as well in which case you have to move things around to free some space or use another hard drive as your scratch."

Many thanks.

Colin
AW
Allen_Wicks
Oct 4, 2008
To troubleshoot we need complete info on your system, setup, drives, how full, etc.

Under PS Preferences a scratch disk is assigned. That location needs to have plenty of free space.
C
colinbannon
Oct 19, 2008
Hi

I have 55.77GB capacity and 35.73GB available – is this what you mean?

Colin
B
Buko
Oct 19, 2008
Thats not complete system info.
P
ppctrialblog
Oct 19, 2008
We need os information, ram, processor,etc.
P
ppctrialblog
Oct 19, 2008
No we need os information, ram, processor, etc.
C
colinbannon
Oct 19, 2008

1.33GHz Power PC G4

1.5GB DDR SDRAM

Is that it?
B
Buko
Oct 19, 2008
What is the %of R%AM allocated to Photoshop?

From what you have told us you don’t have enough RAM your hard drive is too small and you probably have allocated too much RAM to Photoshop starving the OS.
R
Ram
Oct 19, 2008
What exact version of the OS? What exact version of Photoshop? The latter should be Photoshop 10.0.1 if you have CS3.
C
colinbannon
Oct 20, 2008
Buko/ Ramon,

Photoshop has worked in the past. It just stopped one day. The version of photoshop is 10.0.1 (size 216.9 mB on disk)

The version of OS X is 10.4.11

Hope this help and thanks for your time and effort.

Regards,

Colin
B
Buko
Oct 20, 2008
Colin I’m giving up you refuse to give info except in tiny bits.

You did post this.

I have 55.77GB capacity and 35.73GB available

If this is your only hard drive you have no space on it. You need a new hard drive.
C
colinbannon
Oct 20, 2008
Sorry Buko,

I’m doing my best to supply all the info you ask, but admit to not understanding a lot of the requests. That’s why I said in my original post that it would be great if Adobe supplied a UK helpline.

I added memory to my hard drive when I first got CS3 so I find it strange that it has filled up already.

Did u get this info:
Photoshop has worked in the past. It just stopped one day. The version of photoshop is 10.0.1 (size 216.9 mB on disk)

The version of OS X is 10.4.11

I was thinking, if I delete some large files on my Mac HD, would this make a difference? otherwise looks like I will have to take it to the expensive Mac shop.

Regards,

Colin
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 20, 2008
colin,

I added memory to my hard drive…

??? I don’t understand what you’re saying here. You can REPLACE a hard drive with a larger one. But you can’t add memory to it. You can add RAM to your computer, but that has no effect on the capacity of your hard drive.

Please go to and give us the two figures that show up for "Volumes":
[Blue Apple logo] –> About this Mac –> More Info… –> Hardware/Serial-ATA/Capacity, Available

And if you have external hard drives, please give us the numbers for "Volumes": Hardware/FireWire/[drive]/Capacity, Available
and for: Hardware/USB/[drive]/Capacity, Available

Plus the numbers for: Hardware/Memory/Size

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Oct 20, 2008
Colin-

The 1.5 GB of maximum memory (RAM) on your G4 is not very much for OS 10 and CS3., a consequence of a legacy box. However it should work. I just stopped using my G4 tower a few months ago and CS3 always worked.

While in PS go to Photoshop/Preferences/Performance and try different "Memory Usage" settings of 45%-70% in 5% increments to see which setting works best for your workflow. On my G4 I used the 65% setting.

PS assigns a "scratch" disk used with every job that you can read about under the Help menu. Scratch requires adequate hard drive space, which is why folks here are so concerned about your HD setup. The amount of available HD capacity that you have reported so far most of us consider inadequate. If you do purchase more HD capacity discuss it here first, and never buy USB hard drives.
C
colinbannon
Oct 25, 2008
Allen,

Thanks for your effort, but this still doesn’t help me. Like i said originally: " My photoshop just doesn’t boot up. It was working fine as was all my products on CS3, then suddenly doesn’t work." This means that I can’t even get preferences/ performance etc.

Buko,
Sorry I did add memory: 1GB in addition to original 512mB. CS3 worked fine for some time then PS started playing up ie not booting up. Under applications, it gives this version: 10.0.1 (10.0.1×20071012 [20071012.r.1644 2007/10/12:09:30:00 cutoff; r branch]) which seems quite unusal?

These are the details of the memory:
DIMM0/BUILT-IN:

Size: 512 MB
Type: Built-in
Speed: Built-in
DIMM1/J7:

Size: 1 GB
Type: DDR SDRAM
Speed: PC2700U-25330

Under hardware ATA:

TOSHIBA MK6025GAS:

Capacity: 55.89 GB
Model: TOSHIBA MK6025GAS
Revision: KA203B
Serial Number: 95QG0798S
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Protocol: ATA
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
OS9 Drivers: No
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
Macintosh HD:
Capacity: 55.76 GB
Available: 35.7 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s3
Mount Point: /

Under Serail ATA – no info

Under Network Volumes – no info

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Colin
C
colinbannon
Oct 25, 2008
BTW I tried phoning the UK helpline and was kept on hold for over 15 minutes. Adobe customer service is so rubbish, this is why this forum exists? I am grateful for all your help.
B
Buko
Oct 25, 2008
does photoshop work in a new user?

35GB is not much free space to use for swap and scratch.
C
colinbannon
Oct 25, 2008
Buko, u r goin to give up on me now – wot is new user?

When I added the extra memory 1GB? did this not give me the extra RAM? And if not, can you recommend wot extra RAM/ device i need to buy.

Then I can hopefully just go into PC world and get it.

Many thanjks,

Colin
B
Buko
Oct 25, 2008
you need a new bigger hard drive not RAM

and make a new user account. see if photoshop works

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections