RR
Posted By
Robert_Rundbaken
Apr 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have had a consistant problem regarding fleshtones. On the monitor the photos are showing true color. The prints of people (white people in this instance) has the skin pinker than what I see on the monitor. I have tried reducing the red in the color adjustment but I’m still not getting what I saw in-camera and what is on the monitor. It seems the skin should be more beige. If there’s any red present on the skin, for instance make-up, that really shows up too.

I’m using a Canon i950 and Kodak paper using Kodak’s suggested settings for printing. In quality & media I have detailed setting/fine selected. In special effects I have noise reduction/strong checked. In color options color correction is set to BJ Standard, brightness is normal, print type is photo. Kodak suggests raising yellow by 2 and intensity by 10.

I’m on an iMac

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 26, 2004
Bob, I have an i9100 and not an 850, but maybe this will apply for you also. I never got decent results with Kodak paper and this printer. Canon paper works better than anything, with Epson second, but a long way behind. Also, if you are using panther, you might find you get better results if you go to printer setup utility, click the 850, click colorsync, click the 850 again and choose preferences and change that setting from generic rgb to either the color space you are working in or your monitor profile.

I am assuming that you have calibrated your monitor already. If not, that’s where to start.
RR
Robert_Rundbaken
Apr 26, 2004
I will try Canon paper. But in general the photos are not printing what i see on my monitor. I just created a B+W from a color file. Made it grayscale etc. ON my monitor it looks like a B+W photo and it’s set the way I want. The print has a bluish cast and it’s dark and flat. The monitor shows great contrast etc. The photo completely different.

I’ try the re calibrate thing. Thanks
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 26, 2004
Bob, which imac/system do you have? If you have the flat panel and are running panther, I would suggest not using the advanced option–the simple calibration seems to give better results. If you are using jaguar or before or if you have a CRT imac, you want to do an advanced calibration.

Unfortunately, printing B&W from colored ink is a whole different can of worms.
RR
Robert_Rundbaken
Apr 27, 2004
iMac 10.2.8 jaguar

Flat panel. Which settings should i use calibrating monitor? Colorsync etc. Right now it’s on generic rgb profile. In display the color is set to Calibrated profile sRGB.

Somethings off because these prints are not what I se in Photoshop

Thanks
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 27, 2004
Okay, in jaguar, don’t worry about colorsync till we know you have to. It’s a much bigger issue in panther than it was in jag. Go to system prefs>displays>color>calibrate and click the advanced option. Set the gamma to 2.2 (not mac gamma–despite the name 2.2 is the native setting for most LCDs–or to "imac native gamma" if you have that option but I don’t think you do). White point is probably okay, so leave that alone. Name the profle and save it. I would not use the sRGB profile, but rather the imac profile as your starting point for this.

Get a little canon paper (all printers are going to do their best with their own paper and for now you want to see where you are) and try printing.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 27, 2004
these prints are not what I se in Photoshop

Oh, wait a minute. Are you saying you have full photoshop too and you’re getting different results in PE?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 27, 2004
Also, turn off noise reduction in the print driver, at least for now. And you want to choose the highest quality photo setting in the driver.
CS
Cliff_Skidmore
Apr 27, 2004
Robert

I too use Canon 1950, but with OSX 10.3.3

When your print dialogue box comes up, try switching from BJ Standard to ColorSync in the Color Correction box.
This is the printer profile recommended by Canon.

I have tried Kodak paper but it isn’t as good as Canon paper on this printer.

Cliff
RR
Robert_Rundbaken
Apr 27, 2004
OK, thanks to all: here’s what I did just to make sure I did it correct as per barbaras recommendations:

In the calibrate options I selected iMac hit CALIBRATE and I selected EXPERT MODE

I CHOSE PC 2.2
I left WHITE POINT alone
renamed it NEW CALIBRATED PROFILE
and hit create

I have to get Canon paper but I will select COLORSYNC.

In general thopugh is the following correct;
In the print dialogue under QUALITY AND MEDIA I chose DETAILED SETTING – FINE NOISE REDUCTION should NOT be selected.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 27, 2004
Yes. That’s your starting point. Depending on what kind of print karma you’ve got, you may be good to go with canon paper in the printer.
N
nospam
May 1, 2004
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:53:02 -0700, wrote:

I have had a consistant problem regarding fleshtones. On the monitor the photos are showing true color. The prints of people (white people in this instance) has the skin pinker than what I see on the monitor. I have tried reducing the red in the color adjustment but I’m still not getting what I saw in-camera and what is on the monitor. It seems the skin should be more beige. If there’s any red present on the skin, for instance make-up, that really shows up too.

I’m using a Canon i950 and Kodak paper using Kodak’s suggested settings for printing. In quality & media I have detailed setting/fine selected. In special effects I have noise reduction/strong checked. In color options color correction is set to BJ Standard, brightness is normal, print type is photo. Kodak suggests raising yellow by 2 and intensity by 10.

I’m on an iMac

A product like Profiler Plus or Profiler Pro is probably your best bet, of you plan on doing any real quantity of printing of your own pics.

http://www.colorvision.com/products.shtml

Most of this software comes with both Mac and PC versions on he same CD, just like Elements 2 .

Remember, you MUST make a separate printer profile for EACH different brand/grade of printing paper/ink combo- i.e.: 4 types of paper = 4 profiles… 4 papers and two brands of ink = 8 profiles, etc.

-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

~~~~~~~~
Always listen to experts. They will explain what
can’t be done and why. Then do it. – Robert Heinlein
~~~~~~~~

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections