SH
Posted By
Sue_Hutchins
Sep 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After spending hours repairing an old photo, I then tried to save it. No matter what I did, I got the message ‘can’t save because of a program error’.

I’m using PhotoShop 8 on a mac with Leopard 10.5.4. Is this a glitch I can fix?

Sue

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Sep 20, 2008
can you save as anywhere? like another drive or partition or folder?
P
Phosphor
Sep 20, 2008
Change the name? Drag layers into a new document and Save that?
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 21, 2008
Unfortunately, Adobe acknowledges that there will be some problems using Photoshop 8 (CS) under Leopard, and Adobe will not fix them. As this version of Photoshop was created long before Leopard, and there currently are/will soon be versions of Photoshop (CS3, CS4) that are compatible, that is the direction you should be looking.

The other point is that you should NEVER spend more time working on a file unsaved than you care to spend on recreating it. For me, that is generally no more than 5-10 minutes. Hours would be unthinkable.

Neil
SH
Sue_Hutchins
Sep 21, 2008
Thanks to all of you. Neil, you are absolutely correct; I should have saved much earlier. Gotta get my work flow in check. Buko, you triggered my discovery of the solution…I saved it to an external hard drive, and it worked like a charm. So that caused me to check my internal memory. Guess what…the real problem was that I only had 22 GB’s left, and the file was 24 GB’s. So I also have to clean out my memory! Too many videos! So I’m bouncing back and forth between Final Cut and PhotoShop and not keeping my work flow well organized.

Time for some serious spring (Fall) cleaning! Thanks for the quick response.

Sue
R
Ram
Sep 21, 2008
Sue,

You are confusing hard disk space with memory, but, yes, you need a lot more available hard drive space.

Hard drive space is NOT memory; memory is RAM.

Your boot hard drive should not be more than 50% full at any given time, and you need about 50GB available as a minimum, much more of you do not another drive designated as your primary scratch disk drive.

Not having such a second internal (preferably) or external hard drive designated as your primary scratch disk drive means that the OS and Photoshop are going to be competing for the use of the only read/write head on the boot drive. Not only will performance suffer, but you would need ideally at least 100 GB available for the OS to build its swap file and Photoshop its scratch.

I keep a dedicated, physically separate 160 GB hard drive as Photoshop scratch drive, and have well over 300 GB of available space on my boot drive.

When drives get about 60% full, it’s time to get a larger one. If your drive gets to be 80% full you are in big trouble already.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 21, 2008
When drives get about 60% full, it’s time to get a larger one.

Sue, as Ramón says. It’s also time to assess what you’re keeping on your drive(s) and why.

First, a hard drive should never be considered to be the ultimate repository for your work. Drives fail. And computers (particularly laptops) are vulnerable: they die, drop, get lost or stolen.

Make and keep multiple backups of your work, particularly if it is difficult or impossible to recreate: on a second drive, and/or on CD, DVD or DVD-DL media. Keep one set off-premises.

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 21, 2008
24 GB

Is the file size correct and necessary? That’s excessive for most uses.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections