RF
Posted By
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Last week I took a lot of pictures of gardens and flower close-ups in Virginia. Many of the Azeleas were either a very hot pink or an almost florescent red-orange. Every single picture of these whether taken at full auto settings or with contrast set to low and sharpness set to soft, in bright sun or shade, with or without a tripod are blurred. Even the surrounding foliage is blurred. To eliminate any camera movement I took one on tripod using the timer to trip the shutter. All the other shots (except where I goofed on some macros) had excellent focus.

Camera is a 3mp Olympus D-550 with no manual focus.

Is this common and I’m just discovering it? (I’ve never had it happen with videography.) Anything I can do to overcome it?

Thanks,

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
jhjl1
Apr 25, 2004
The first thing that comes to mind is a slight, almost imperceptible breeze, that has gotten me more than once.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
with or without a tripod are blurred. Even the surrounding foliage is
blurred. To eliminate any camera movement I took one on tripod using the timer to trip the shutter. All the other shots (except where I goofed on some macros) had excellent focus.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 25, 2004
Bob, I’ve seen that before with my Canon G2 shooting very bright red flowers. I’m sure there’s some explanation of it with respect to CCD sensitivity to certain wavelengths of light; might be worth a Google search to see if there’s an explanation and remedy.

Chuck
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 25, 2004
Maybe it has to do with the near-infrared range of the spectrum; some cameras are more sensitive to it than others….

Just speculating….
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 25, 2004
Jim,

Some of the days were windy but on one day it was absolutely calm and I shot a series of soft blue Wisteria (very susceptible to breeze) no more than 2 minutes before with no problem. You gave me the idea of checking EXIF. The good shot was at F3.2 1/125th sec ISO 60 and the blur was at F3.2 1/320th sec ISO 60. Really weird.

Chuck,

I’ll google that and report back.

Thanks,

Bob
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 25, 2004
Robert, I’ve seen the same thing with the s400–reds and yellows seem to have a radioactive glow to it that makes an otherwise well-focused shot look out of focus. Fortunately, so far it’s not an issue with the A1.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 25, 2004
It can really be a splash; almost like the pixels are overloaded by the adjacent reds. I wonder if it does the same with RAW as it does with JPEG….? May have to try that sometime to compare.
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 26, 2004
So far my Googleing has not been very informative. Probably my search terms.

I can’t shoot RAW but I’m going to try TIFF as soon as Azaleas start to bloom here.

Barbara and Chuck:

Thanks for letting me know my camera isn’t the only one.

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections