KN
Posted By
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A company I am applying with wants a person to do all of their web art. I think I can do this. I’m good with most Adobe products, but need some help from you, because IMHO, you can never be too prepared.

Pretend like you’re the interviewer I’m going in to see next week. What questions do you want to ask me in a short in-person interview?

I’m not worried about Flash or vector stuff, that’s easy enough to keep down to small file sizes, but in Photoshop, I go to save for web and can strip the color table and make compromises on compression and get the best preservation of rendition and smallest file size. But this is not all there is to it: One of the best web artists I’ve ever worked with was in the Philippines and he was able to get his file sizes down to 3k and in that range, still get good image sizes and preserve color.

I don’t know how he did it. Any insight in that area would be handy to me at this point.

Also, my other big weakness: Calibration! I shy away from the color calibration thread on this forum because it makes my head explode. I have no trouble getting colors to come out the same on litho printing, web screens and anywhere else, but I also don’t know why others make such a big deal about it. I’ve never had trouble with it. I just use ‘no profile’ for all my images.

Fill me in on these two subjects to be able to at least make one intelligent murmuring at the interview – I don’t need to know a whole lot or read books at this point (I’m still wading through Camera RAW and PHP books that are gluing me to the wall right now.)

I know we have sharpies here, I need your input please,

Ken

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
Lundberg02
Aug 24, 2008
Incoming!!!!

I guess you do all your work with Monitor Profile as your working space, huh?
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 24, 2008
That must be it, whatever the system defaults to. I’ve been drug over the coals here before for doing that way, but like I said, I’ve never had a problem producing image projects, lots of them and for decades now, that all looks perfect in finished form.

I gather that by ‘Incoming!!!’ you predict that I will get the usual tar and feathering and be sent on my way.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 24, 2008
Ken,

I gather that by ‘Incoming!!!’ you predict that I will get the usual tar and feathering and be sent on my way.

If it is using your monitor profile, enough has been said on the subject here; you know the issues and why it should not be used, and there’s little point on reiterating them. <g>

Neil
R
Ram
Aug 24, 2008
you know the issues and why it should not be used

He may very well know that, Neil; but it’s obvious he doesn’t understand it.
R
Ram
Aug 24, 2008
Anyway, Ken appears to be asking for advice for an interview, and my advice would be to keep the interviewer from finding out about his workflow and his understanding of color management. :/
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 25, 2008
Well, It looks like I need to set up a workflow that includes color management. Since this thread my turn into all color management, I wanted to be sure to gain some insight into part two of my requested input and that is file size.

I think I can get input on setting up a color profile and managing color using that by going to google. Ramón G Castañeda is right that I need understanding of it before I can use it. Since I have never had any problems without it, plus the fact that is makes no sense to me, I’m sure I have a mental block about the subject. As Neil pointed out, lambasting me has never produced results, even though I’ve brought the subject up here dozens of times over the past 15 years. Maybe someone can put it down in simple terms as to the why wherefore and how.

I need to at least have the concept down before I can do anything about it.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 25, 2008
"my advice would be to keep the interviewer from finding out about his workflow and his understanding of color management. "

While this might be good advice for some, I come here asking for help, not mockery.
L
Lundberg02
Aug 25, 2008
That was definitely not mockery, but very sound advice,

Have you ever seen those tiny files under real conditions and were they jpgs or gifs?
B
Buko
Aug 25, 2008
While this might be good advice for some, I come here asking for help, not mockery.

Ken I must say I’m shocked that you absolutely have no understanding about color management. Since this is a web position you can only hope they don’t have a clue either.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 25, 2008
Except for a minority of web surfers that use Safari and those that have optionally enabled color management in Firefox, the discussion of color management for web graphics may be as useless as a discussion of ‘ppi’.

If an interviewer asks you about ‘ppi’ or ‘color management’ in web design, they are likely throwing you a trick question. Be prepared to explain why these are not real concerns in present web design. Apparently, some responders here would fail the interview.
GB
g_ballard
Aug 25, 2008
just tell them you turn color management off and don’t use profiles — and never have any problems on the web —that should give you a 70-30 chance of landing the job right off the bat…
L
Lundberg02
Aug 25, 2008
Another way to get the job would be to tell them you only want to work from home and use Windows 98.
R
Ram
Aug 25, 2008
My advice was straight and to the point, Ken. It has nothing to do with mockery or lambasting. I stand by it.

If I were interviewing for a job that might involve knowledge of video or motion pictures among many other things, I would do my best to keep my shortcomings in those two areas from the interviewer, rather than advertising to the world that I don’t care about those two subjects and have done very well without understanding them.

From your surprising reaction I gather you didn’t really want any advice, just reassurances that color management is a moot point in web work. I’m sorry I took you at your word.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections