Posted By
Hudson_White
Apr 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I have been trying to apply a gradient to text using the 9 steps in the Help menu in PE 1. It ends up that the gradient covers the entire file including the text. Somehow the text layer is not getting selected. Selecting text doesn’t work the same way as in PS 5.5. I click on the text layer; it’s highlighted. What’s happening?

Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

TF
Terri_Foster
Apr 12, 2004
If on a PC, have you tried holding ctrl key at same time as you click on text layer. This will put a selection around your text. If you click on the T twice, you put your text in edit mode…for correcting spelling or wording. It sounds like from your post that this is what you have done.

Terri
DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 13, 2004
Hudson,

If I understand correctly, you want to change the text from some color, black for instance, to a color gradient?

In order to do this you must simplify the text layer before you can add the gradient.

Once simplified, then you Ctrl/click the text thumbanil in the layers palette. Now you have a selection around the text and the gradient will affect only the selection.

The key is making the selection, without it you will fill the entire layer.

Dick
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 13, 2004
Hudson,

I like to do it with a grouped layer so that my text remains editable:

After creating the text layer, add a new layer above it. Fill this layer with the gradient of your choice. (It will initially obscure your text and image, but don’t worry!) On the menu, click Layer > Group with Previous.

Ta-Daa!

By grouping one layer with the other, the content on the upper layer will only show where there is content on the lower layer. By keeping the text and fill on separate layers, you can edit EACH of them independently until you get something you like. This will work with any shape (not just text), and any fill (solid color, another image, pattern, texture…) and you can have several upper layers all grouped to the same lowest layer. If you’ve ever heard someone discussing a "clipping group", you now know what they’re talking about!!

Byron
RC
Robert_Camacho
Apr 13, 2004
Dick Smith’s suggestion works but I had to ensure the Blend Mode was set to normal. When I first tried it the Blend Mode was on Darken and the effect wasn’t showing up. Let us know if this resolved your problem.

Robert

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections