T
Posted By
Timaccer
Apr 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use Apple’s "dot Mac" web hosting service – which are templates wherein you basically fill in the blanks and at the top of each template is the menu to allow you to go back and forth between the sites pages.

However, here is my dilemma. I have created an online photo gallery with Adobe PS2 and it works beautifully, however, when I click on my dot Mac site menu’s icon, called "Feeling Creative" it correctly takes me to the Adobe online photo gallery I’ve created, and everything is there, however, there is *NO* way to get back to the original dot Mac site menu once you’ve left the dot Mac page. Is there any way to link this PS2 page to the dotMac page to allow a visitor to quickly return to my dot Mac site menu? There seems to be nowhere in the PS2 gallery page to let a visitor click on something like "Home" or "Site Menu" – they then have to retype in my address (if it’s not bookmarked) and type in the password to get back into my site again. I hope there’s a workaround to this.

Thanks,
Rachel.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JH
Joe_Henry1000
Apr 10, 2004
Rachel (Tim?),

You’re going to have to write some html code. Not very much, just one line of code on your index.htm (or index.html) page. If you read through this thread <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.2cd0c664> you’ll see this subject had come up before. In post #9 Barb B. gives you the code to insert into your index page. In the next post (#10) I explain how to get the code into the index. Read through that thread and if you have questions post back.

Joe
JD
Juergen_D
Apr 10, 2004
Rachel,

You would have to edit the Index.htm or ThumbnailFrame.htm file and place a link to your dot Mac page there. This was recently discussed here: http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@137.DgHGbwmF9Ty.2 @.2cd0bde8/6 Start reading at #7.

Juergen
JD
Juergen_D
Apr 10, 2004
Joe,

I didn’t see your response before I posted…. But, I guess two answers are better than none. 🙂

Juergen
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 10, 2004
Juergen: Answers from you and Joe have a multiplier effect!

🙂
T
Timaccer
Apr 10, 2004
Thank you for your responses, however, my mind draws a complete blank with HTML, despite having read the links to the posts you both indicated – and I read those previous posts over twice.

Thanks anyway.
Rachel.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Apr 11, 2004
Rachel,

It’s really not to difficult. If I can do it anyone can! 😉

Step one:

Create your photo gallery in PSE. One of the files you end up with will be titled: index.htm (or index.html). Double click on this file and it should open up in Internet Explorer. In IE, under the View menu you should have an option to view Source. Choose that. In the window that pops up Select All from the Edit menu and Copy.

Step two:

Open a new word processing document in Word (I’m assuming you have that) and Paste. This will paste the source code from the Copy you did in step one, into the new Word document. Find the line that starts with something like this:

" A href=Mailto…………………."

This is the line that contains your email address.

Right below that type this:

You obviously need to substitute the correct URL to your homepage in place of the "homepage.mac.com/rachel/Menu.html".

Step 3:

Use the Save As option in Word and save as Text Only as "index.txt". Place this file in the folder that contains your original index.htm document. Delete the original and then change the three letter suffix .txt to htm (or if you used html then use that) on your new Word document.

Step 4:

Upload your photo gallery and your visitors should be able to click the link "Home" on your photo gallery start page and be taken back to your .Mac home page. They’ll still probably have to enter a password but that’s the way it’ll have to be as long as you’ve got your .Mac site password protected.

HTH

Juergen,

I guess two answers are better than none.

I say the more the merrier!

Joe
T
Timaccer
Apr 11, 2004
JoeHenry & Juergen

Thanks for your help… I shall try your detailed instructions tomorrow morning when I’m a bit more alert to think along HTML lines!!

I shall let you know how I make out.

Appreciated!
Rachel.
T
Timaccer
Apr 11, 2004
Juergen, I followed the instructions (printed them out) and all ‘seemed’ to go well. The first glitch though, was that I’m using the Theatre template and when I copied and pasted the source code into my Word document, there is NO line for Mailto (I know what you mean by that line – the email me line) – there was no email line even though my email shows up clearly/perfectly in the Theatre template when it’s in the web browser – how can that be?

In fact, here is the source code as copied (using Select All) – you’ll see there is no mailto line… Anyway, I did put the line of code in, saved as Text Only, changed the filename from index.txt to index.html, but when I click on it, all that shows up in the web browser is one line to the effect it needs frames to be seen. However, I did put the line of code in correctly as on the web, even though it’s a completely blank page, it does say just one clickable word: Home! at least that much I’ve done correctly – now I’ve just got to figure out how to get that word to show up in the correct Theatre template and not in a blank white page!

So, in essence, I’m now wondering if the Theatre template is messing things up, as in theory, at least, I understand exactly what you’re trying to do and it’s not difficult the way you wrote and I followed. I’m still of the opinion the Theatre template is botching up. If I leave things the way they were, PSE2 Theatre shows up beautifully in my website, but as soon as I try to "adjust" the following lines of code with my line, it doesn’t work. Your instructions are, though, incredibly easy to follow, but I still think it’s the Theatre template that is getting information from another one of the files in its particular folder that’s not working correctly. And can you see the "Mailto" line??

thanks, Juergen,
Rach.

Viewing this page requires a browser capable of displaying frames.
JD
Juergen_D
Apr 11, 2004
Rachel,

I just tried my approach with the Theater template and it works. When you run PE2 with File>Create Web Photo Gallery, you create two files and three folders. The only file you need to be concerned with is ThumbnailFrame.htm. That’s were you insert the code for the link back to your dot Mac page. Since we can’t post HTML code here, click here to view the insert: http://www.concentric.net/~jdirrigl/Insert.jpg I hope you can read it. Place your insert right under the line ‘…table border="0"…’ and your link will show up over top of the first thumbnail of the film strip. If you do this, there should not be any affect on the mailto link underneath the large images. See if that doesn’t work and let us know.

Juergen
T
Timaccer
Apr 11, 2004
Juergen,

We all know that posting anything online in uppercase means one is yelling… Here goes…

JUERGEN – YOU ARE, WITHOUT A DOUBT, THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

After being threatened by my husband and kids that if I don’t let up on this HTML problem, they will physically remove me from the computer! I meticulously copied your instructions and lo and behold, it actually worked – after almost three hours of struggling with different templates. You are a very patient man!!

Thanks so much,
Rachel.
JD
Juergen_D
Apr 11, 2004
Rachel,

Thanks! I’m glad I could help.
🙂

Juergen
T
Timaccer
Apr 11, 2004
Juergen, Just uploaded the new folder to my website and it works flawlessly.

A quick question… Can these lines of code that you forwarded to me be used in all the templates to do the same thing? How does one determine if the lines of code ought to be inserted in the index file or the thumbnail file? I don’t want to keep bugging you with the questions, so I have kept and printed your code for future reference, but wanted to know if they will work "as is" in the other templates in PSE2.

thanks again,
Rachel.
JD
Juergen_D
Apr 11, 2004
Rachel,

Yes, the code should work in other templates, too. You would insert it into the index file if there is no thumbnailframe.htm file. Some of the template don’t use frames, as far as I remember.

Juergen
IH
Ingrid_Halvorsen
Apr 11, 2004
There can be only one "index.html" file in the top level of a website. This is the page the site opens to.

If you add more photo galleries, you should rename any subsequent files to something like index2.html, index3.html, or better yet, gallery1.html, gallery2.html, etc. Do this before you upload the files.
JD
Juergen_D
Apr 11, 2004
Ingrid,

Right, this is another whole subject. As a matter of fact with multiple galleries one should put each gallery in its own subdirectory. That way you do not have to rename any files, and, more importantly, you won’t have an duplications of the subdirectories within each gallery, namely ‘pages’, ‘images’, and ‘thumbnails’.

Juergen

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections