Borders around images in Photoshop 4.0.1 don’t upload to Amazon.com or Books In Print

MS
Posted By
Morty_Sklar
Jul 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings. I have created borders around images in Photoshop 4.0.1, but when I upload those images to Amazon.com and Books In Print, the borders do not show up. This is especially obvious when the images are on a white background that "bleeds" off the page. I would greatly appreciate help for this, as I haven’t been able to get it from Amazon.com or Books In Print. Thank you so much.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Jul 26, 2008
Photoshop 4 is a bit long in the tooth. and its been a while since I’ve used it.

Are these boarders on a separate layer?

Are you flattening the image before you save as a jpeg?
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 26, 2008
Thanks for your reply, Buko.
No, the borders aren’t on separate layers.
When I save as a jpeg, I just save as "maximum quality" in the dialog box that comes up, and use the default "Standard" baseline.
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 26, 2008
Here’s something I just noticed, Buko:
Although my Photoshop image shows a border,
when I save as jpeg, the PDF that’s created
doesn’t. I’m using the Photoshop in Classic 9.2.2
inside Tiger 10.4.11.

Thanks.
B
Buko
Jul 26, 2008
when I save as jpeg, the PDF that’s created doesn’t.

you’re losing me Morty were does the PDF happen and how?

I didn’t think PS4 could save PDFs
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 26, 2008
I’m sorry, Buko–I’m getting a little screwy in my old age. Of course it’s not a PDF–the default Save As in Photoshop 4.0.1 is in Preview. Thanks for persisting in this.

So, although the border can be seen in the Photoshop image, when I save as jpeg, it doesn’t show in Preview.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 26, 2008
I wonder, Morty, if the border you are seeing is a thin black line? I don’t have any computer booted up just now with PS4 running on it, but wondered if it was possible that you are seeing the thin border or outline which Photoshop puts around every image but which isn’t actually part of the image.

How about trying an experiment. I think PS4 had Edit > Stroke. Try selecting the whole image (Command A) and then use the Stroke command and select Inside and two pixels or more and then see if that border is still there once you save the image.
P
Phosphor
Jul 26, 2008
That border Welles is referring to is part of the Photoshop user interface. Zoom in as far as you want, and that 1 pixel outline will continue to appear onscreen as 1 pixel thick.

If this thin border is what you’re expecting to see after you upload an image to Amazon or anywhere else, well, it doesn’t travel along with the image. You have to create your own border.

An actual border created by the user will appear larger when you zoom in. This should stay with your image after uploading, unless the site hosting it does some sort of funky, proprietary cropping for some reason.
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 26, 2008
No Edit > Stroke, Welles.
What it has is Select > All > Modify > Border,
and then you enter the amount of pixels for the width of the border.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 26, 2008
Does that do what you need, Morty? Phos’ description of the ‘border’ I was trying to describe is much clearer than my attempt.
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 26, 2008
You say "you have to create your own border," Phos±four dots –but that’s what I thought I had been doing by
doing Select > All > Modify > Border, and entering the amount of pixels for the width of the border.

I did what you said and enlarged the Photoshop jpeg image, and the border did remain the same. The Preview jpeg image made from the Photoshop image didn’t have a border. I zoomed-in on it to make sure.

The Help Photoshop 4.0.1 Help menu says to make the border as I have tried to–Select > All > Modify > Border, and entering the amount of pixels for the width of the border.

Thanks.
R
Ram
Jul 26, 2008
Wouldn’t you have to make your canvas larger if you want to include the border you just created?

I’m just not understanding what you’re trying to say, Morty. :/

If you’re selecting the whole image and creating a border around that selection but not making the canvas larger, your "border" is indeed outside your image.
L
Lundberg02
Jul 26, 2008
I have PS 4.01 and I’ll try it if I need to, but the border has to be IN the image ON the canvas. Your image opens in Preview because it wasn’t saved to Photoshop.
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 27, 2008
Good point, Ramon, but I just tried that
and when I make the canvas dimensions larger,
the image dimensions become equally larger.
I couldn’t see how to succeed in this.

Thanks.
R
Ram
Jul 27, 2008
If you increase the canvas size you get a transparent border around your original image. That is where your border goes.
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 27, 2008
Lundberg02– You say, "the border has to be IN the image ON the canvas." I can’t see where that’s something that can be done in this Photoshop. Do you mean that I have to put the borner in the image at the scanning stage?

Saving the Photoshop image as a jpeg, creates the jpeg in Preview.

Thank you.
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 27, 2008
Okay, Ramon, I’ll upload one of those to test it out.
Thanks.
R
Ram
Jul 27, 2008
saving the Photoshop image as a jpeg, creates the jpeg in Preview

Morty, you are seriously confused. What you write makes absolutely no sense.

A JPEG is a JPEG, period. Now, you have your system configured to open JPEGs in Preview. You set it up that way.

Going back to your original issue: let’s say you want to have a 10-pixel border around your image. First thing you do is enlarge your canvas by 20 pixels in each dimension, width x height. This will leave a transparent 10-pixel border around your image.

Maybe seeing that will let you understand the concept. Let us know.
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 27, 2008
Select > All followed by Select > Modify > Border > "x" pixels will create a selection x pixels inset from the edge. You can the fill this with a colour of your choice. Be aware that you will lose x pixels of your picture this way.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 27, 2008
Morty,

Saving the Photoshop image as a jpeg, creates the jpeg in Preview.

You can "teach" your computer to open a specific type of graphic (such as .jpg) in a particular application (such as Photoshop). But it’s been a few years since I’ve last used Mac OS 9, so I don’t recall if this is a preference you can set under "Command + I" (get Information).

Neil
B
Buko
Jul 27, 2008
he is using Classic so yes "get info".
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 27, 2008
I know, John, but the border doesn’t stay when I upload the image to book websites.

Thanks.
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 27, 2008
I know, Neil, but the Preview image is the "generic" one that I can upload to book websites.
My problem is, the border doesn’t upload with the image
–in fact, when I save the Photoshop image as a jpeg, the border doesn’t show up in Preview.

Thanks,
Morty
B
Buko
Jul 27, 2008
Morty how are you making/adding this border?

What you are saying makes no sense if you ad something to an image and save it then it will be there.

the only thing I can think of is you saved the file one place and you are viewing the original file before you added the border.

I think you need to pay attention where you are saving your files
JP
jean_p
Jul 27, 2008
Marty, this procedure

Select > All > Modify > Border

Is step 1. That will make a selection. After you make that selection, you need to fill the selected area with black or a color.

Step 2:

Be sure your foreground color is black (or whatever you want your border to be.) Then go to Edit > Fill and choose foreground color in the dialog.

Have you done step 2 in addition to step 1?
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 27, 2008
Ramon–ignore my replies to the other helpful people here –I’ve been working most recently with what you’ve told me.

1) A jpeg is not just a jpeg for my purposes in uploading it to some websites–I can’t upload a Photoshop jpeg. I use the Preview jpeg because it uploads anywhere.

2) I had done what you said about enlarging the canvas in Canvas Size (I enlarged it to twice the size of the border size),
then I went back to Image Size and created the border.
That showed-up with a grayed-out look, and I printed it just to see if a black border showed-up. It didn’t. Just the grayed-out border.

I’m in Photoshop 4.0.1.
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 27, 2008
FANTASTIC, Jean! That was the missing link–the Fill. When I went there, I saw that there was a default of 50% black, and I changed it to 100%, and voila!

Thanks so much to ALL of you. A village raises a Mac user.

Morty
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 27, 2008
Post #18

You can the fill this with a colour of your choice.

<sigh>
JP
jean_p
Jul 27, 2008
I think you needed to break it down a bit further, John. 😉

Glad you got it, Morty. 🙂
B
Buko
Jul 27, 2008
A jpeg is not just a jpeg for my purposes in uploading it to some websites–I can’t upload a Photoshop jpeg. I use the
Preview jpeg because it uploads anywhere.

Wrong Morty. A jpeg is a jpeg. there is no such thing as a Photoshop Jpeg.
P
Phosphor
Jul 27, 2008
Easier to Select All….Edit>Stroke.

Buko, since Photoshop 4 did not have Save for Web it’s possible he is creating a jpeg that is too large or is CMYK.
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 27, 2008
Then please explain this, Buko: When I have my Photoshop image open and Save As a JPEG, and then Get Info on the icon of that JPEG, I see Adobe Photoshop 4.0.1 Document.

Morty
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 27, 2008
The JPEGs in question, Ed, are 280 KB,
and 1000 pixels on the long side.

Thanks,
Morty
B
Buko
Jul 27, 2008
Then please explain this, Buko: When I have my Photoshop image open and Save As a JPEG, and then Get Info on the icon of that JPEG, I see Adobe Photoshop 4.0.1 Document.

because the system has been told to associate the jpeg with Photoshop
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 27, 2008
Right–and I can’t upload the Adobe Photoshop 4.0.1 Document to the websites I’m aiming for. I have to send the Preview one.

Thanks for your time.
Cheers.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 27, 2008
Morty,

An image for the Web that is 1000 pixels long may be outside of the acceptable specs for your upload. Check what the maximum allowed dimensions are.

Neil
L
Lundberg02
Jul 27, 2008
Mort , you are totally confused about what you have saved where, what document you are trying to upload, and the size of an image thgat can be placed in a website. 1000 pixels, if it is width, will not fit in an HTML page.
B
Buko
Jul 27, 2008
and I can’t upload the Adobe Photoshop 4.0.1 Document

A photoshop document is not a jpeg necessarily. Maybe thats your problem.

also are you including the .jpg extension? the web needs this as do applications and the place you are trying to upload to.

And as the others have noted 1000 pixel wide image is huge.
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 27, 2008
Neil–
Guidelines for Amazon.com is up to 1000 pixels on the long side for publishers. Books In Print allows the same but asks for scans no larger than 150 dpi.

I’d been able to upload my images to both websites
–my only problem, for which I came here, was the borders missing after the uploads. That’s solved now to you guys.

Morty
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 27, 2008
No, Lundberg02, I’m not totally confused.
I followed specifications and instructions for scanning and uploading images. I just check one of my uploaded book images on Amazon.com, and they of course reduced it. I dragged it off the webpage and opened it in Photoshop, and saw that Amazon had used it with 240 pixels on the long side.

Scans, as you probably know, are better reduced than enlarged, if the size needs to be changed–which is probably why they say you can upload an image UP TO 1000 pixels.

It’s a moot point, anyhow–all my images are uploaded to both websites, but the borders aren’t around them
–which is why I came here–to find out why. Now I know
and I’ve fixed the problem.

Morty
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 27, 2008
When I say I can’t upload a Photoshop document, I mean that the websites I’m going to don’t want them. The Preview JPEG is fine.

Sure I’m adding the .jpg.

As for the 1000 pixel (on the long side) image,
see my reply to previous people.

My problem’s solved, thank you all.

Morty
L
Lundberg02
Jul 27, 2008
Your problem is solved. OK. But you really don’t understand. Not only that, you send huge images and let them mess with them. Your images should be sent at size after you have carefully reduced them and sharpened.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 28, 2008
Morty,

I dragged it off the webpage and opened it in Photoshop, and saw that Amazon had used it with 240 pixels on the long side.

If I’m following you, then your 1000 pixel wide image is being reduced to less than 25% of its original size. If you had succeeded in placing a 1 pixel border around the original image, it would be lost in the reduction. As Lundberg says, prepare and send images exactly the size they will be used.

Neil
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 28, 2008
So you’re saying, Lundberg02, I should do what you think, and not go by the guidelines given to me by Amazon.com and Books In Print. And because I don’t do what you say, that means that I
"don’t really understand."
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 28, 2008
Morty,

Please understand that we’re all trying to help you sort through the issues you’re having with a 12-year-old version of software running on an old operating system, using it to successfully upload your images with a border. Nothing more. Nothing less.

If Amazon is using automated routines to reduce your image sizes, you would be better off choosing a size that they won’t play with and optimize it yourself before uploading.

Neil
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 28, 2008
Neil–I didn’t have instructions from Amazon.com or Books In Print as to a required size–I had guidelines from them, as I said in a previous post, to provide images up to 1000 pixels on the long side
(for publishers), with Books In Print differing by asking for scans no larger than 150 dpi. (Amazon allows 300 dpi.)

I see your point about the border possibly becoming invisible when reduced from 1000 pixels to 240, but I didn’t even have visible borders on my images when I uploaded them before coming to this forum. At that time I didn’t know about making the borders black, and when I learned how to do that and went to do so, I saw that the default had been at 50% black, which to me looked like no border.

In any case, I will definitely not use 1000 pixels anymore.

Thank you,
Morty
B
Buko
Jul 28, 2008
Actually the 1000 pixels is useful if you click on the smaller image it is linked to the larger image. this is handy for publishers to print a small but hires image of the cover. I use Amazon to find CD covers for CD reviews.

As magazine person I would not want extra borders around the the cover imagery. I would most likely remove it.
MS
Morty_Sklar
Jul 28, 2008
"As magazine person I would not want extra borders around the the cover imagery. I would most likely remove it."

I only use borders where my covers bleed white into the background.
B
Buko
Jul 28, 2008
If you know where to put the border you know exactly where to crop it correctly.

no need for a border.
L
Lundberg02
Jul 28, 2008
A jpg is a jpg. YOU control how they open and where. You didn’t know that You used their guidelines without knowing what they meant and what would happen to your image. You didn’t actually know what the border technique meant. You’re using software from twelve years ago. What are we supposed to think. We want to help you but you arew making statements that are ridiculous.
P
Phosphor
Jul 28, 2008
This is one crazy-arse thread.

There’s so much sideways info and confused explanation in it that it should have been blown up and started over.
S
StevieV
Jul 28, 2008
huh?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections