Posted By
Neil_Mc_Bride
Apr 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
Does anyone know how to save an image back to a Sony Memory Stick without getting a ‘file error’ on the LCD on the camera?
Thanks
Neil

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 9, 2004
I think the answer might depend on a couple of different things. Is this an image file that’s been edited or is it exactly the way it came from the camera? Have you changed the file name? Are you moving via a cable or through a card reader? Do you want to be able to view the image again on the LCD of the camera or do you want to do something else with it?
DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 9, 2004
I’m not sure you can save an image back to the stick and then use it in the camera. With my SM cards every time I’ve done his I get a "card error" message in the camera and have to reformat the card. It has something to do with the way the media cards are formatted.

Dick
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 9, 2004
Mine (Kodak) will allow it, IF the file naming convention is exactly the same and it’s in the correct folder on the card.

Some cams have probs with the EXIF info once the image has been through an editor, though.

Mac
DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 9, 2004
Mac,

Thanks for that. I’m going to try it out on the Fuji and see what happens.

Dick
NM
Neil_Mc_Bride
Apr 9, 2004
Thanks. If the image is not modified at all I can safely copy it to a blank Memory Stick with no problems. It is only when I modify it, save in Photoshop and then try to copy the file across. My reason for wanting to copy back is so I can provide the stick to Kodak or other to develop the ‘film’. I had changed the filename so I will try keeping it the same and see what happens.
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 9, 2004
Get a card reader and you’ll be able to do what you want. They’re extremely inexpensive and many forum regulars prefer using them because they’re safer and faster than cables for moving images from the camera to the computer. Once you have a reader, you can modify your image, load it back on to the card and take it for processing, totally bypassing the camera. I have extra cards and do this.
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 9, 2004
Neil,

I have experienced the same thing as you describe when saving edited images back to Memory Stick. They won’t display in-camera if they’re not "just so". A friend has one of those Sony dye-sub printers, and it won’t display most edited images – although it prints them just fine.

I’ve used a MS to tote images to Costco for printing without a hitch, though. They’re using a Noritsu MiniLab.

The fact that the camera won’t display the images has no effect on the files’ readability by the lab’s kiosk. For that purpose, they don’t care how the file gets to them – CD, floppy, memory – a file is a file.

I would say that if you can re-open and read the saved files from the MS, then your developer will have no problem, as long as you are working with an image format that they require. My Costco works with JPG, and I *think* TIFF.

Byron
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 9, 2004
Beth,

What a good idea, I hadn’t thought of doing that …. thanks for the tip 🙂

Wendy.
W
wfschwind
Apr 12, 2004
Beth,
How would one go about downloading from Elements back to a compact flash card reader in an HP PSC2410? I’ve been trying from Roxio Photosuite without luck. I’ve just purchased and am learning Elements.
Thanks,
Bill
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 12, 2004
Bill, in order to use the method I described, you’d need a CF card reader. They’re extremely cheap and sometimes even free after rebates. Your images, whether you’ve been editing in Roxio or in Elements, are actually stored on the hard drive of your computer. Getting them back to the card is as easy as inserting the card in the reader, which is connected to the computer, finding the image file you want to move, and then just dragging and dropping it to the CF card. This will work on either platform, almost any operating system, and it doesn’t matter what kind of camera you have. If you already use a reader, just treat it as if it were another external drive. If you don’t have a reader, I strongly suggest you get one. They’re nifty little gadgets that are faster, safer, and make your CF card more versatile.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 12, 2004
yep, card reader (and writer).
You’d just save directly to card, or drag and drop exiting file from hard drive to card.
The card is simply seen as another drive.

Mac

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections