NG
Posted By
neil_grundy
Apr 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello hope somebody can help, i’m using, or trying to use elements 2 and purchased the book: elements 2 by Philip Andrews to get started. But i’m finding it hard to grasp layers etc. So can somebody suggest a real begginers guide for me, before a tear my hair out!
Thank you.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 8, 2004
Neil,

Why not try a tutorial … sometimes its easier doing things rather than just reading about them. Take a look at:

<http://www.arraich.com/elements/psE_intro.htm>

There are some good tutorials there and lots of tips for using elements.

Layers can be dificult to understand … but think of them as transparent sheets stacked one on top or the other. When you are using an image with layer in it drag your layers palette into the pallette well and keep the palette open … that way you can see just what you are working on.

Don’t worry … give yourself a few weeks and you will be fine … layers will seem easy 🙂 and remember if you get stuck just ask, someone will always help.

Wendy
NG
neil_grundy
Apr 8, 2004
Thank you Wendy. I’m reading the site you suggested now.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Apr 8, 2004
Neil

Bob Warren has a very concise listing of books on his web site: http://www.rewarren.com/challenge/books.htm#Beginners

Also when you are there tour Bob’s site and you will see one artist approaches projects.

The Challenge also has a list of sites that you may find helpful.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/Links.html

Grant
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 8, 2004
Neil,

I heartily second Wendy’s recommendation of Jay Arraich’s tutorials!

PSE2 also contains some tutorials, built into the Help system. With Help open, in the left-hand column of topics, "Photoshop Elements 2.0 Tutorials" is second from the bottom.

When you click on the tutorials link, then the right-hand pane shows the available lessons. The third on the list is about layers… "Harness the power of layers". It works with a file named "start.psd". Some have difficulty locating that file, so I’ll tell you where it is on my Win98 installation:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2\Tutorials

It’s short and simple, but fundamental.

Byron
NG
neil_grundy
Apr 8, 2004
Ok when i go to tutorials i am dircted to the website. So then i click harness the power of layers. But i cant find the installed examples sown on the site.Sorry about this.
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 8, 2004
wrote
…i cant find the installed examples sown on the site.Sorry about this.

Neil,

Thus, the reason I gave you the complete path to the file…

If you’re on a PC, you could also use the Find Files command to search for "start.psd" to locate it. Double-clicking it should open it in Elements.

If you’re on a Mac, post back and say so, and someone (other than me!) will be able to tell you where to look for it.

Byron
NG
neil_grundy
Apr 8, 2004
thanks for that i’ll look now
NG
neil_grundy
Apr 8, 2004
Thank you very much, found it using the search..
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 8, 2004
Glad to hear it, Neil!!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections